Lines painted on Bangkok road to slow traffic after "Dr Kratai" is killed by 'big bike' riding policeman at zebra crossing

webfact

5pm1.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

Thai Rath reported that Bangkok Metropolitan Authority workers had been out in Phayathai Road painting traffic slowing marks in the area leading up to a zebra crossing at the Bhumirajanagarindra Kidney Institute Hospital.

This followed an accident to a female doctor called Kratai.

The marks - designed to slow traffic - are on both sides of the road at a distance of about 50 meters from the crossing.

This after a lance corporal on a big bike called Narawich Buadok was involved in a collision with Dr Waralak Suphawatrajariakul or Dr Kratai who was crossing the road. 

She was killed on Friday sparking much comment in Thai society.

Aetna Platinum+ Light on premium, great on coverage

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-01-25

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information

5 hours ago, asiaexpat said:

Even my daughter, a terrible driver, admits that Thailand needs better policing of traffic, especially motorcycles.

As you state.. the fault lays with the drivers/riders.... they all know the rules & regs, but choose to ignore them.

Unless you think a traffic every 50 yards, then a cop on every corner/traffic light/turning/crossing point etc etc is going to solve the problem?

• Like 1

Speed bumps would be better idea, but do we really need speed bumps at every corner / ped crossing.

More practical if people just look both directions, twice before crossing. When getting the green / walk signal.

• Like 1

Are these recognised road markings or just something thought up to try to appease the public?

Pattaya and Jomtien have started using red markings for pedestrian crossings, likewise are these part of the Thailand rules or another nightmare dreamed up by some bureaucrat.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, it is what it is said:

Do the authorities seriously think lines will make a difference when they don’t even see a physical barrier ????

of course they don't, they're not that daft. it's not about doing something effective to solve a problem. it's about being seen to do something, anything, however ludicrous, so they can claim, when it obviously ultimately fails, that it's not their fault because they did something, QED it's someone else's fault.

Weeeell, I think most of the stuff they do is daft anyhoooo, it's just the way it is, from driving tests, to vehicle tests, to fines and lets not forget lack of police presence to deter daft road users.... ????

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Dionigi said:

Are these recognised road markings or just something thought up to try to appease the public?

Pattaya and Jomtien have started using red markings for pedestrian crossings, likewise are these part of the Thailand rules or another nightmare dreamed up by some bureaucrat.

Red markings?? not white the international standard or even yellow,

Red veryy effective at night on black or discoloured concrete and bitumen roads, 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

Speed bumps would be better idea, but do we really need speed bumps at every corner / ped crossing.

More practical if people just look both directions, twice before crossing. When getting the green / walk signal.

Nope... thats more dangerous....  As the Pedestrian Crossings in Pattaya highlighted.... 

Motorists simply ignored the lights and hit unsuspecting pedestrians anyway. 

The issue needs a cultural shift and to generate that enforcement needs to be strict, unfaltering, without compromise and continuous. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, asiaexpat said:

Another ineffective remedy for a serious problem. If Thai drivers ignore zebra crossings why would some painted lines change their driving habits. The total lack of law enforcement is the root of the problem since Thai drivers know they can drive as they please with no consequences. Even my daughter, a terrible driver, admits that Thailand needs better policing of traffic, especially motorcycles.

It’s only going to cause more accidents as people do a test run across the.crossing. 
better to instal pop up road spikes for when a pedestrian goes to cross. 
otherwise remove the crossing completely. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, transam said:

Speed bumps will slow traffic near crossings, painted lines will do nothing...

IF the see the speed bump....   

Motorcyclists try to ‘whip’ around the barriers and rail crossings, some motorists don’t even notice them or try and beat them.

It's not uncommon to be in a taxis & Grab car who’s driver fails to observe a speed bump with the inevitable, bang and bump..... 

Driver training is key, enforcement is key, cultural and social responsibly is key....  none of this happens, I really can’t see any change coming. 

-------------

Years ago I used to drive across the road (to get a coffee) because walking 100m down the road and crossing the road with a horrible hangover was simply too risky (From a personal point of view), I figured cars will stop for another car, but not a pedestrian.... drivers seem to speed up as if to ’threaten you’ out of their way. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Doctor Tom said:

While the motorcyclist was clearly at fault, even in the UK, where crossings like these are abundant, you never just cross without looking and trying to catch the eye of drivers and riders ensuring that they are going to stop, often they do not. Its just basic survival and that is ever more important here in Thailand, where they have little understanding, or regard, of pedestrian rights and safety. 

Agreed on the ‘basic survival’ bit...    However, in this case her line of sight was stopped by a slowing van and the motorcyclist was speeding up the outside lane.... 

As horrible as it may seem basic survival failed them both - The Dr. perhaps not being as observant as she ‘should’ have been (given 20:20 hindsight)... and of course the Motorcyclist speeding up the outside (right most) lane of a city street approaching a pedestrian crossing.... 

---------

I too have found myself in horrible situations trying to cross a road (Ekammai central Bangkok). 

Trying to cross the road with my Son...   (4 lanes 2 in each direction) Cars on the closest (northbound) lanes stop to allow my son and I to cross...  Of course, I still have to be very careful for motorcycles who don’t stop and fail to consider their own safety and fail to wonder why cars have stopped !!!

We (son and I) get to the middle...  one car in the southbound lane stops (closest to the curb), we’re about to step about and a taxi suddenly changes lanes, speeds through the crossing. I have time to step back out of the way with my son and shout at the taxi...

The taxi driver hits his brakes hard, skids to a stop and opens the door. It looks like he’s going to get out and fight me. I’m with a 5 year old child and wondering what to do if a Taxi driver starts to try and attack me.

---------

Another time, Ekammai again...  Cars stop in 3 lanes.... I’m crossing...  A 6 wheeled refrigerated delivery truck in the furthest lane (closest to the curb) doesn’t stop... I’m already committed to I speed up to a jog...   The truck as a mirror that sticks out a long way (about 50cm)... I get clipped by the mirror... out of reaction I kick the truck. 

The driver stops, gets out... walks towards me (I’m already too angry), the driver stops, turns back, adjusts his mirror, gets back in his truck and drives off.... I consider myself lucky he didn’t have a weapon and remind myself in future never to react.... 

---------

The reality of crossing a road in Thailand - so many drivers, no matter their social status automatically turn on an ‘<deleted>’ switch and consider any pedestrian below them on any social or economic scale..... its ingrained in them that they are ‘better’... and as such they behave (drive) with a complete and utter disregard for pedestrians or anyone they consider ‘below themselves’....  Its a shocking testament to the true nature of the mentality of some in Thailand. 

If you want to judge the underlying pulse of a culture, judge it by how polite the traffic is.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Agreed on the ‘basic survival’ bit...    However, in this case her line of sight was stopped by a slowing van and the motorcyclist was speeding up the outside lane.... 

As horrible as it may seem basic survival failed them both - The Dr. perhaps not being as observant as she ‘should’ have been (given 20:20 hindsight)... and of course the Motorcyclist speeding up the outside (right most) lane of a city street approaching a pedestrian crossing.... 

---------

I too have found myself in horrible situations trying to cross a road (Ekammai central Bangkok). 

Trying to cross the road with my Son...   (4 lanes 2 in each direction) Cars on the closest (northbound) lanes stop to allow my son and I to cross...  Of course, I still have to be very careful for motorcycles who don’t stop and fail to consider their own safety and fail to wonder why cars have stopped !!!

We (son and I) get to the middle...  one car in the southbound lane stops (closest to the curb), we’re about to step about and a taxi suddenly changes lanes, speeds through the crossing. I have time to step back out of the way with my son and shout at the taxi...

The taxi driver hits his brakes hard, skids to a stop and opens the door. It looks like he’s going to get out and fight me. I’m with a 5 year old child and wondering what to do if a Taxi driver starts to try and attack me.

---------

Another time, Ekammai again...  Cars stop in 3 lanes.... I’m crossing...  A 6 wheeled refrigerated delivery truck in the furthest lane (closest to the curb) doesn’t stop... I’m already committed to I speed up to a jog...   The truck as a mirror that sticks out a long way (about 50cm)... I get clipped by the mirror... out of reaction I kick the truck. 

The driver stops, gets out... walks towards me (I’m already too angry), the driver stops, turns back, adjusts his mirror, gets back in his truck and drives off.... I consider myself lucky he didn’t have a weapon and remind myself in future never to react.... 

---------

The reality of crossing a road in Thailand - so many drivers, no matter their social status automatically turn on an ‘<deleted>’ switch and consider any pedestrian below them on any social or economic scale..... its ingrained in them that they are ‘better’... and as such they behave (drive) with a complete and utter disregard for pedestrians or anyone they consider ‘below themselves’....  Its a shocking testament to the true nature of the mentality of some in Thailand. 

If you want to judge the underlying pulse of a culture, judge it by how polite the traffic is.

Been to Vietnam? It is a team sport getting across a road there

• Like 1