Land of Smiles? Thailand may have more face masks laws than anywhere on the planet

TorquayFan

I've been in favour of wide use of face masks myself - but penalising Folks swimming, on lonely beaches or on mountain walks, is barmy.

In the Daily Telegraph today, a warning for potential tourists :-

"Thailand is justifiably known as the Land of Smiles, yet now the 70 million friendly faces of this picturesque nation are constantly hidden due to its strict face mask laws. This popular Asian destination has endured a stop-start reopening to tourists. Having relaxed its hotel quarantine from 14 nights down to just one, its borders were closed again following the emergence of omicron. But now its Test & Go regime is back, with vaccinated overseas travellers once again welcome – so long as they return negative results on days 1 and 5.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/asia/thailand/land-smiles-thailand-may-have-face-masks-laws-anywhere-planet/

Edited by Scott
Edited for Fair Use Policy
  • Like 2

The fact that there is a law doesn't mean it's enforced. 

When I travel with my wife in the car, we never wear a mask. When we're in the river by ourselves having fun with a jet ski we never wear a mask. 

When I'm having a walk at 4AM and there's nobody in the street, my mask is on my chin. If I come across somebody I wear it. 

When I'm in public surrounded by a lot of people, I wear my mask the proper way.

Never had a single issue. Is this so difficult to understand? 

• Like 2

When i look at the videos from Bangla road  Patong this weekend, it's seems like it's onny 50% or so that walk around with a mask.

I'm amazed to see how busy it actually is ????

Article is paywalled but seemingly written with a complete lack of awareness of noted loose compliance/enforcement.  And in their warning they've failed to identify the salient risk/scam for foreign tourists which isn't mask laws but testing positive and being detained your entire vacation at significant personal expense.  Great journalism.

Mentor - "Thailand never had a strict lockdown." YES it did !!

"I'm very glad to live here." Good for you - but the thread was about tourists and the requirement for masks etc.

I agree with mask wearing atm but not on mountain walks and empty beaches etc. that said, there's been many ridiculous cases about masks in the UK - fishing on an empty beach etc.

Alex earlier had it right IMO - 100%

many people were fined for breaking curfew back in april-may 2020.

But I never heard about anybody being fined for not wearing mask.

The most if somebody in authority politely mentions to put it on.

An initial jerk reaction from the authorities at the beginning of pandemic was usually backtracked within days or just ignored by populace and by cops.

Unlike in the west, people in thailand are not breaking rule of wearing mask on purpose. Nobody heard here about protests, marches against masking, vax and similar issues. Mortality rates from covid are very low, in comparison to the leading countries.

Personally no covid restrictions in thailand affected me much. The only serious one was closing the post office for international service for 2 months in april-may 2020, but that was beyond direct control, all air planes were grounded   

Edited by internationalism