Need good tailor in BKK

Cutty Shark

On 1/27/2022 at 5:20 PM, Tropposurfer said:

Superb French trained Master tailor Narin @ Narin Couture: http://www.narin-couture.com/

All clothes are made in-house by hand by a small expert group of Thai tailors under the supervision of Narin himself, who also cuts and sews your garments. 

Narin is excellent and his style of design is certainly influenced by his French training, which may not be to everybody's taste.

Apart from him I use Tanika near Sukhumvit 14.

Both Narin and Tanika would not make a suit or even a shirt overnight - they are professionals, who take pride in their work. Just watch Narin working for a minute or so. If this is what you want and can wait a week for a shirt, 2-3 weeks for a suit then you should be satisfied with the product. If you want a shirt in a day they would refuse 

On 1/29/2022 at 4:47 AM, tyler28 said:

No.

One -- and only one -- US president went to Rajawongse for a suit: George H.W. Bush, way back in the late 80s or early 90s.

Everything else on their walls is fake -- just pictures that Rajawongse has printed off of the internet and signed themselves.

Please use common sense. If people like Barack Obama and David Cameron were really getting suits getting polyester suits made at this notorious tourist trap, wouldn't you think someone would have noticed at the time? Or even taken a picture?

https://obamawhitehouse.archives.gov/blog/2012/11/18/president-obamas-first-stop-asia-thailand

According to the White House itself, Barack Obama visited Thailand only once and stayed less than one full day. You really think he snuck in a visit to Rajawongse between meeting with the King and having dinner with the prime minister? Without anyone noticing?

And since when to US presidents, UK prime ministers, etc. hand out signed photographs of themselves to the owners of stores they shop in? I've never seen that anywhere else in the world, yet supposedly numerous US presidents, UK prime ministers, etc. keep making these secret, undetected trips to Rajawongse -- and they all just happen to be carrying signed photographs with them! Special for Jesse and Victor!

Again, please use common sense. This is all just a sales trick for the Nana sexpats who stumble drunk into the shop and then get thrilled by the idea of being able to tell people back home they got a suit made by "Barack Obama's tailor" or "Tony Blair's tailor" or whatever.

Sexpat  or Sex tourist?

On 1/27/2022 at 5:20 PM, Tropposurfer said:

Superb French trained Master tailor Narin @ Narin Couture: http://www.narin-couture.com/

All clothes are made in-house by hand by a small expert group of Thai tailors under the supervision of Narin himself, who also cuts and sews your garments. 

If you don't really se what i say here as inpoertant and relevant to your sartorial needs then by all means go and explore the tonnes of Indian tailors all over BKK.

Be warned - most tailors in BKK and all over LOS (except perhaps in small towns) farm their manufacturing out to factories that manufacture for a large number of shopfronts.

Everyone, but the very best (very few) tailors in Bangkok all do this.

These clothes are (on the spectrum of clothes making) some of the worst crafted clothes you can possibly buy.

A suit not only must 'fit you', but must be cut in a way that produces a balance in volume and line between jacket and pants. Most of the tailors in BKK haven't got a clue about such fine elements as this.

I know because I bought suits from a well known Western gentleman owned establishment in Chit Lom ... recommended to me as good many years ago and when I put them on, every suit was a different cut! They seemed to fit at first glance, but the volume of the pants to the coat cut was terrible, and, within 18 months of wearing the suit about once a week the warping I speak of below began and I had to literally give the suit away to a charity. It took me some years of expensive learning from such beginner (previously always an off the rack buyer) mistakes to train my eye and understanding of such things. Going to Narin will see him do all this for you, his eye is impeccable!

Other such debacles of cheap tailors in BKK can be told but the above experience is a good example of what to expect if you use factory made clothes shop.

Why? did and do these suits make a bad investment apart from the subtleties of cut and balance ... All suit jackets are lined with a skeleton / carcass but in these cheap BKK factory shops these separate parts on the jacket are glued together so as to marry the materials to cover the poor workmanship.

This results in drying-out of the glue resulting in/rippling, cracking of the glue, warping, shrinking, and sagging which of course ruins the suit.

This deterioration can happen very rapidly with seasonal temperature changes and normal body heat transferring through the layers of cloth. The stitching can also be poorly attended to and under stress the garments come apart, and it will eventually always happen!

Areas such as side seams on pants are more than often gathered/wrinkled, the fly and front gusset areas don't marry effectively, the rear waist/hip band gusseting also is usually crudely done, hems likewise. Jacket upper chest/shoulder areas have diagonal creases because the cloth has simply not been measured, cut, and joined correctly - poor 1st and 2nd fitting skills show here.

Good suits on the other hand are made so well that the carcass drapes inside the outer and liner and is only tacked in position in a few places ...  just one of the critical factors in the making of a well made suit.

While I am by no means a couturier I am a man of good taste and have spent a lot of my life learning from Master tailors such as Narin. I'm fortunate enough to have been able to have clothes made for me from the very best of London tailors e.g Gieves and Hawkes, Richard James and on to the exclusive houses por homme in Paris e.g Louis Feraud.  

While you may think you are getting a bargain by paying $300 for a suit you'll definitely get what you have paid for and within a year if you're lucky to get a year out of the bag-of-fruit before it hangs atrociously on you.

Remember too there are a lot, a huge amount of counterfeit things in LOS, suit fabrics are no exception ... and while a tailor will show you a bolt of fabric with a marque name on its bordering/trace this will more than likely be a cheap counterfeit cloth in a cheap priced shop.

Narin never cuts corners, is passionate, dedicated, and guarantees his work to be the finest. He makes for the most well-to-do Thai clients and has a large overseas clientele so you can't go wrong.

dead link to Narin or a badly designed website

On 1/27/2022 at 5:42 PM, Siam79 said:

Raja,  jesse at rong... & gullatis  are all 3  GULLatti family brothers.

in 1980,  all ran in 1 shop, called raja's where jesse is now

I had many suits from the Gullatis a Sikh family between 1990 and 2012 but once the pound went down against  the baht hand made suits became less economical to have suits made in Thailand. It became  cheaper to buy one 'off the rack' every two years in London.

4 hours ago, rimmae2 said:

Narin is excellent and his style of design is certainly influenced by his French training, which may not be to everybody's taste.

Apart from him I use Tanika near Sukhumvit 14.

Both Narin and Tanika would not make a suit or even a shirt overnight - they are professionals, who take pride in their work. Just watch Narin working for a minute or so. If this is what you want and can wait a week for a shirt, 2-3 weeks for a suit then you should be satisfied with the product. If you want a shirt in a day they would refuse 

Narin's parent's run Tanika. They sent him to France for training then eventually struck out on his own sometime ago.

I used Narry Tailor https://narry.com/ on Soi 11/1 just a block north of Sukhumvit for two batches of dress shirts done a year apart, I was happy with the results both times and I'd use them again.   I think they source their material from the U.K. and Egypt, they conduct the first and second fittings in the shop, but use an offsite facility for the manufacturing.  They even matched a shirt that I'd had done by a tailor in the U.S. and it was a very good match.   It helps to know what you want, I had some very specific requests and they were able to do everything that I asked for. 

I've read that it's best to stay away from the tailors that have touts outside trying to draw you in, and Narry is not one of those.