Solar powered water pump system

OK, this isn't my area of expertise and I cant find a post I saw a while back so I'm looking for info, direction on installing a solar powered water pump system.  It's for a water filtration system I'm made for my 3 fish ponds. Currently I'm running a 220v  1 hp centrifuge pump that pulls water from the lower pond about 100 ft to the filtration system. It's basically fling a 50 gallon drum and then gravity takes over to filter and return the water thru 2 additional 50 gallon drums. I could probably go smaller like 1/2 hp pump, I just happen to have the current one.  It's costing me about 2400 baht a month just to run that 1 pump 24/7 so that's the reason to explore solar power.  Ideas suggestions are all welcome

We have been running a system like you are talking about for about 6 years without any problems.

We actually have two systems,one smaller one sounds like the size you can use.

I am not sure it can pull up 30 feet but it can push a lot!

Our pumps are running around 10 hours per day and i don't know if that would be enough for you?

How many liters per hour do you need?

Could you also half the cost of the electric by running it one hour on /one hour off?

How much water is in your ponds?

Maybe if you could be a little more specific it would be easier to answer.

Since you already have a working mains powered system I would be tempted to go for a grid-tie solar arrangement and offset your bill that way. No worries about dull days.

Do you have a conventional electric meter (spinning disk type)?

EDIT @007 RED DIY'd a system that would probably do the trick.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jvs said:

We have been running a system like you are talking about for about 6 years without any problems.

We actually have two systems,one smaller one sounds like the size you can use.

I am not sure it can pull up 30 feet but it can push a lot!

Our pumps are running around 10 hours per day and i don't know if that would be enough for you?

How many liters per hour do you need?

Could you also half the cost of the electric by running it one hour on /one hour off?

How much water is in your ponds?

Maybe if you could be a little more specific it would be easier to answer.

I have 3 ponds, each is 75' x 25' x 6' so it's a bunch of gallons in total, over 200,000.

I have catfish, tilapia and koi.    Luckily I'm pushing the water horizontal the 100 feet other than the pull from the pond is 3 feet deep. Yeah I've experimented with the run times but to keep the cycle flowing thru the 3 ponds (there interconnected) it's tough due to the number of fish. 24/7 has been optimum run time to maintain clear water as these are for commercial sale. 

57 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Since you already have a working mains powered system I would be tempted to go for a grid-tie solar arrangement and offset your bill that way. No worries about dull days.

Do you have a conventional electric meter (spinning disk type)?

EDIT @007 RED DIY'd a system that would probably do the trick.

No we have the digital meter.   I think that diy system thread was the one I saw but can't find it. I'll shoot him a message on it. I'm in Nakhon Si Thammarat so we have pretty good sun for most of the year so a grid tie in should work, I'm just not knowledgeable enough (and lazy if someone else did it) to spec it out 

OK so with a digital meter you are bu99ered for net metering ???? 

It's probably still worth you going grid-tie, you just won't be able to "bank" energy for use later in the day, but that would be the same for a solar pump system anyway unless you add batteries ($$$).

Time to encourage Madam to do the washing and ironing when the sun is shining :whistling:

2 minutes ago, Crossy said:

OK so with a digital meter you are bu99ered for net metering ???? 

It's probably still worth you going grid-tie, you just won't be able to "bank" energy for use later in the day, but that would be the same for a solar pump system anyway unless you add batteries ($$$).

Time to encourage Madam to do the washing and ironing when the sun is shining :whistling:

Hahahaha  madam is one of my stumbling blocks in this venture as it's her project but my headache! I'm sure you know what I mean 

• Haha 1