Jump to content

Changing from Work Extension to Retirement, with dependents

Recommended Posts

After nearly 17 years of continuous work extensions, I am considering "retiring".  Is it straightforward to switch from a work extension to retirement extension (I'm aware of the financial requirements) ?  My non-Thai wife and son have been 'piggy-backing' on my extension for the last 7 years, and presumably they can continue to do this?



Link to post
Share on other sites

You family members can apply for apply for the same extension they have been getting after your change your extension from working to retirement.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Check with you local Immigration Office which you must know by now.

Some offices will insist you get an O visa overseas for the switch but may be relaxed due to Covid

This is one of the few times  I suggest an agent may be useful but ask them first

Link to post
Share on other sites

It is straightforward, but the timing is essential since you need to cancel your WP first, and do the visa type change on the same day. Technically when the WP is cancelled, so is your non-imm B visa extension so you'd be on overstay from the following day. Although City Hall and Imm don't necessarily talk to each other.


If you are experienced and have the financial requirement (800k seasoned), it should be ok to do by yourself but when I did the same I used an agent (only time), worthy the small expense.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Create New...