What Is A Half Thai Kid?

Neeranam

It's interesting what identity the luuk kreung kids take on.

My 12 year old son, who was born in Thailand and has a Thai mother, considers himself to be Canadian. He regards English as his first language, though he is fluent in Thai and attends a Thai school. His two best friends are Thai, but he speaks English with them. His native land is a foreign country to him.

Paul Laew

• Like 1

I think legally...  People (not just kids) with Thai nationality are considered Thai in Thailand. 

Those who have dual nationality are considered ‘that’ nationality in their ‘other nation’...

i.e. People with Dual British / Thai National are considered Thai in Thailand, British in the UK and in any other nation it depends on which passport they entered. 

That said: If we are discussing identity, that is a more individual concept, a person may identify at any point across the spectrum with regards to their nationality bias and this can be impacted by current location, fashion, sports, work and many many more factors, it can also change over time. 

All of that said: I’m not sure this topic is intended to cover any of the above...   Neeraman seems to want to eradicate the idea of suggesting a child is half of something and half of another.

In reality,  mentioning ‘half Thai / half British’ is more of a turn of phrase, a colloquialism which just means ‘dual nationality’ or ‘both Thai and British’....   

Its like the ‘Schrodingers cat’ of nationality....  those with dual nationality are neither one or the other they are both until they are in a specific country !

I guess its just a crude term for kids of mix hertiage or ancestry. Oddly as I have been here for more years than I care to share, when I do share with Thai friends they all say I must be half Thai as well as i have been here for so long. 

Told that tory to immigration once....they were less than impressed lol.  

Sounds racist ...

... let me check my updated woke dictionary, I'll get back to you ????

DISCLAIMER:  any answer may change while awaiting reply, during reply or shortly after reply.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

The Thai Gubbermint would beg to disagree. Actually they just disagree.

You get to beg.

There's also the Army game to worry about as sons come of age, I imagine a farang dad would be paying a pretty penny to get Chips' draft papers lost in the round file at Dinosaur HQ.

Edited by chalawaan

1 hour ago, Paulaew said:

My 12 year old son, who was born in Thailand and has a Thai mother, considers himself to be Canadian.

The phrase everyone is searching for here is "Third Culture Kids". My stepdaughter (100% Thai, born in Thailand) spent a number of years in the UK as a young child and attended a high achieving school in Rugby. She is now dual national and speaks like she comes from Richmond upon Thames. Later we returned to Thailand. She's an adult now but identifies herself as British, but sometimes Thai, depending on mood and context. It's complicated and different for everyone. My son is Luk Krueng, born in the UK, raised in Thailand since before his first birthday, speaks better English than Thai but still identifies as being Thai, but it's confusing for him at times, he's only nine and doesn't properly understand dual nationality.

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

In reality,  mentioning ‘half Thai / half British’ is more of a turn of phrase, a colloquialism which just means ‘dual nationality’ or ‘both Thai and British’....

Personally I don't think it matters. People get their knickers in a twist over the silliest of things. It's like curse words. Who decided phvk is offensive? Why not orange, or flubberjubber?

Edited by Led Lolly Yellow Lolly

Our son was born in Singapore to me an American and his Thai Mom, and we lived there until his early teens when we moved to Thailand, then he moved to the US for college.

I've heard him describe himself as Singaporean, Thai and American, sometimes all in the same conversation.

Doesn't seem to bother him much,  so why should it bother anyone else