Thailand report 8,008 new COVID-19 cases, 16 deaths, 8,215 recoveries

webfact

COV31.jpg

File photo

Thailand on Monday (January 31) reported 8,008 new COVID-19 cases, 8,215 recoveries and 16 additional deaths over the past 24 hours. 

▶︎ Infections outside prisons: 7,842. Prisons: 166

▶︎ Recoveries: 8,215

Monday’s cases bring the total number of COVID-19 infections in Thailand to 2,440,542 with 22,173 deaths.

The news comes as authorities have indicated their satisfaction with Thailand’s rise to No. 26 on the global COVID Resilience Ranking list, which reflects increased international confidence in the Kingdom’s reopening to international tourists.

Thanakorn Wangboonkongchana, spokesperson for the Prime Minister’s Office, said Prime Minister and Defense Minister Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha has expressed his satisfaction with the nation’s response to the COVID-19 pandemic. This came following a January report for Bloomberg’s COVID Resilience Ranking, which listed Thailand at 26th out of 53 countries and economic areas, up from 44th in its previous report.

Discover Cigna’s range of health insurance solutions created for expats and local nationals living in Thailand - click to view

Asean-now_Covid-Dashboard-Stats-Graphic-Template-Thailand-(update31JAN).png

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-01-31

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information

4 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

I still don't understand this. Other places Omicon peaks have been higher than Delta and have got there very rapidly. Why is that not the case here?

Very little testing.

Here is a comparison with the country that test most in the world per million.

If Thailand tested as much, their numbers would explode too.

https://ourworldindata.org/explorers/coronavirus-data-explorer?zoomToSelection=true&time=2021-11-09..latest&facet=none&pickerSort=desc&pickerMetric=new_cases_smoothed_per_million&Metric=Confirmed+cases&Interval=7-day+rolling+average&Relative+to+Population=true&Color+by+test+positivity=false&country=DNK~THA

15 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

I still don't understand this. Other places Omicon peaks have been higher than Delta and have got there very rapidly. Why is that not the case here?

Manipulate the numbers and no problems....In Phetchaburi a school tested 100 cases positive, but nowhere to be found....Thailand want to believe everyone it is safe. But everyone knows better ..... Why should only Thailand be an exception of all other countries in the world were the Omicron peaked??? Only for tourists, but they forget that Thailand did not change a lot of color in and still is a destination only for neccessary travels...Still  a place that is red/orange... 

• Like 1

Tropical climates do better than countries in a certain temperate belt around the earth, it is argued. Not in all cases, but there is reason to think that that has been the case here. And genetic factors may eventually be identified.

If anyone has anecdotal insights that hospitals are filling up, do chime in. But deaths numbers are harder to fudge than case numbers, and they seem to remain in a range.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Blumpie said:

Because Omicron's symptoms are so ridiculous most people don't get any symptoms whatsoever.  The vast majority of people who were found to have omicron in south africa were... wait for it... going to hospital for other procedures.  They had no earthly idea they had it.  

If people cannot see that omicron is nearly completely ridiculous I don't know what they are looking at.  

it is still a risk for those that are unvaccinated or have not had a previous infection but you could also say that about the Flu - for the record I am not saying this is a flu or even not as bad as a flu - there is still not enough solid data which takes time 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, smedly said:

it is still a risk for those that are unvaccinated or have not had a previous infection but you could also say that about the Flu - for the record I am not saying this is a flu or even not as bad as a flu - there is still not enough solid data which takes time 

I agree with countries such as Denmark and the UK who are deciding that this can be handled without all of the familiar restrictions, I just hope it pays off.

In comparison to flu, here's a good chart and tweet:

"Even if thanks to vaccination, the infection fatality rate of SARS-CoV2 now gets close to that of influenza, the big question remains of how many more will get infected by SARS-CoV2 compared to influenza in a single year, and whether we will have 1 or 2 Covid waves per year..."

FKRRH3mXMAIA3R_.jpg.221b64009d071eebc65bff2b2ac1db79.jpg

https://twitter.com/TWenseleers/status/1487559782118604802

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Some other fun facts.  Thailand has approximately 30,000 deaths from pollution annually, 25,000 from Road accidents,  80,000 deaths from diabetes, and only 11,000 from Covid (and Omicron will be far fewer).  Why dont we get daily reports on these other preventable deaths?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, smedly said:

your post was great but I disagree with this statement regarding in Thailand 

In the west all deaths must be certified by a doctor or medical professional and a reason given for the death - not so in Thailand unless a person dies while in a hospital or sometimes if they are under close medical care. 

Excess virul pnuemonia death details seem not to be in the public domain. I do wonder about the primary cause of death. Not so much now but from the earlier waves. Now I think it might be the other way around. Before dying from not with may have been misrepresented here. Now with omicron dying with and not from is more likely.

1 hour ago, Jimbo2014 said:

Some other fun facts.  Thailand has approximately 30,000 deaths from pollution annually, 25,000 from Road accidents,  80,000 deaths from diabetes, and only 11,000 from Covid (and Omicron will be far fewer).  Why dont we get daily reports on these other preventable deaths?

Because they are not contagious diseases. BTW, the number of diabetes deaths is around 30,000. The official number of Covid deaths was nearly 22,000 in 2021, and the number of excess deaths (which is closer to the true number of covid deaths) was around 65,000.

Screenshot_20220109-071713.png

Edited by candide
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, smedly said:

your post was great but I disagree with this statement regarding in Thailand 

In the west all deaths must be certified by a doctor or medical professional and a reason given for the death - not so in Thailand unless a person dies while in a hospital or sometimes if they are under close medical care. 

I think he was referring to the total number of deaths all causes, which is rather reliable as all deaths must be recorded for administrative purpose.

Edited by candide

8 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

PCR test positive cases, total of 8,008 official new infections. 16 official covid deaths recorded.

Rapid tests positive cases, 2,065 bringing the total of PCR and ATK results to 10,073

https://ddc.moph.go.th/covid19-dashboard/

Rolling 7 day average chart from 28th Jan

https://ourworldindata.org/coronavirus/country/

image.png.ff80b89f920ecb74eb2e3e984ea124b9.png

image.png.b6626ed937fece9a1325751a63b61227.png

Since January 7th, a game of Billiards could be played on that chart.

And people are supposed to believe this Tosh.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, dinsdale said:

Because there is no testing regime... UK tests running currently over 1.2 million/day. The cynic in me believes the number of tests here is about the same as the number of new infections!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

I read a few weeks ago that because of the expense of PCR testing they were relying on the ATK's which so happens to suit them very well in terms of numbers as they don't officially recognize them in official totals plus we just don't know how many really test positive with those or even if the unofficial positives count they share on the dashboard are real.

All hand in hand with the effort to lure back tourists who believe the numbers from official sites and end up testing positive after a few days in Thailand and forcibly quarantined.

We all know this variant is less virulent and with the added benefit of vaccine and previous infection immunity it is far less of a worry. However living with it means that those who are most vulnerable still need to be aware and keep safe from it, how can they do that if the real numbers are not shared? 

Many are treating Omicron as a lesser worry.

However, it has shown that it has a high potential to " Breakout " from vaccinated people, and also re-infect people that have previously had a different variant such as Delta.

These two things alone should e telling people to still be on their guard, as it all seems such a merry go  round.

Have Vaccine. catch Omicron.

Get Quarantined

Get released from Quarantine

Catch it again possibly

It has not filled the Hospitals in the US for no reason.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, candide said:

Because they are not contagious diseases. BTW, the number of diabetes deaths is around 30,000. The official number of Covid deaths was nearly 22,000 in 2021, and the number of excess deaths (which is closer to the true number of covid deaths) was around 65,000.

Screenshot_20220109-071713.png

The official covid deaths in Thailand are 22,176 to date, or about 11,000 per annum.  The economist lists excess deaths to 28 Jan at 55,430 (https://www.economist.com/graphic-detail/coronavirus-excess-deaths-tracker).  That's about the road toll over the same period.  I think what you intend to say is that Covid is preventable by taking the necessary precautions and therefore we should track it.  Are not diabetes (Type 2), Pollution and road deaths preventable.  Why do we not have daily updates of those and extreme restrictions (sugar banned, factories and crop burning properly monitored etc.).  Heck there are over 60,000 deaths from coronary disease annually in Thailand.  Is pork fat consumption being reported each day.  This reminds me of when there is a shark attack reported and so everyone avoids going in the ocean.  Statistical perspective and risk is warranted.     

40 minutes ago, Jimbo2014 said:

The official covid deaths in Thailand are 22,176 to date, or about 11,000 per annum.  The economist lists excess deaths to 28 Jan at 55,430 (https://www.economist.com/graphic-detail/coronavirus-excess-deaths-tracker).  That's about the road toll over the same period.  I think what you intend to say is that Covid is preventable by taking the necessary precautions and therefore we should track it.  Are not diabetes (Type 2), Pollution and road deaths preventable.  Why do we not have daily updates of those and extreme restrictions (sugar banned, factories and crop burning properly monitored etc.).  Heck there are over 60,000 deaths from coronary disease annually in Thailand.  Is pork fat consumption being reported each day.  This reminds me of when there is a shark attack reported and so everyone avoids going in the ocean.  Statistical perspective and risk is warranted.     

Road deaths are reported and announced each day in Thailand. Air quality from pollution is also measured and reported daily.

Believe it or not Covid is still a worldwide pandemic that has an effective solution to serious illness and death via vaccines and all countries report daily figures to monitor the situation. 

New OP published today that you may want to go and comment on:

Latest accident stats: 21 dead Saturday as drunk driver kills road worker

Daily News continued their campaign to raise awareness about the appalling carnage on Thailand's deadly roads.

They reported that 21 people died in accidents on Saturday cautioning that the figure was low because agencies do not report death much at the weekend preferring to wait until Monday or Tuesday.

Edited by Bkk Brian
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Road deaths are reported and announced each day in Thailand. Air quality from pollution is also measured and reported daily.

Believe it or not Covid is still a worldwide pandemic that has an effective solution to serious illness and death via vaccines and all countries report daily figures to monitor the situation. 

New OP published today that you may want to go and comment on:

Latest accident stats: 21 dead Saturday as drunk driver kills road worker

Daily News continued their campaign to raise awareness about the appalling carnage on Thailand's deadly roads.

They reported that 21 people died in accidents on Saturday cautioning that the figure was low because agencies do not report death much at the weekend preferring to wait until Monday or Tuesday.

Nice to see they have road deaths covered.  Now to just get the police and public as enthusiastic about reckless drivers as they are about Mask Mandates.  Same for crop burning etc... Would be great to see this level of enthusiasm.  Im pro vax, but I think many countries are ready to live with Covid as endemic, given that deaths from covid are falling well below deaths from many other causes not making daily headlines.  

Your comparison is dishonest because, unlike in western countries, there was nearly no pandemic in 2020 in Thailand. Everyone knows that on this forum. Most Covid cases and deaths occurred since April 2021, and since April 2021 the number of excess deaths compared to 2020 is around 65,000.

As mentioned before, the other death causes you mention are not contagious diseases so they cannot be compared with Covid-19. Nobody got a heart attack for having been in contact with someone else.

• Like 1

First report since the 62 cases reported on 28th Jan with today showing a small drop.

Health officials on Monday (Jan 31) reported 52 new COVID-19 cases, 15 were found in Hua Hin.

Elsewhere in the province, 12 cases were found in Pranburi, 4 cases in Sam Roi Yot, zero cases in Kuiburi,
3 cases in Thap Sakae, 5 cases in Bang Saphan, zero cases in Bang Saphan Noi, and 13 cases in Mueang Prachuap Khiri Khan.

No new deaths were reported today.

https://www.huahintoday.com/local-news/jan-31-prachuap-reports-52-new-covid-19-cases-15-in-hua-hin/

2 hours ago, Jimbo2014 said:

You state 55k excess deaths, that is over and above the average. Previous years averages would have included those from road accidents, illness etc. How do you explain such a large excess apart from covid is ravaging the world. Just need to put two and two together to see that in most countries the excess deaths have rocketed in the last two years above the expected 5yr average. Remember the word "excess".

Nice to see they have road deaths covered.  Now to just get the police and public as enthusiastic about reckless drivers as they are about Mask Mandates.  Same for crop burning etc... Would be great to see this level of enthusiasm.  Im pro vax, but I think many countries are ready to live with Covid as endemic, given that deaths from covid are falling well below deaths from many other causes not making daily headlines.  

They do every season, however as we all know enforcing rules here is not Thailand's forte.

Also published in a new OP today:

Korat governor bans the burning of stubble in fields to stem dust pollution - but it's being ignored

The governor of Nakhon Ratchasima province has issued an anti-burning order that should be music to the ears of spluttering residents in the north eastern Thai province.

10 hours ago, Enzian said:

Tropical climates do better than countries in a certain temperate belt around the earth, it is argued. Not in all cases, but there is reason to think that that has been the case here. And genetic factors may eventually be identified.

If anyone has anecdotal insights that hospitals are filling up, do chime in. But deaths numbers are harder to fudge than case numbers, and they seem to remain in a range.

Seriously what the hell do I know but I think that there has to be truth in this.  Ive written it from the beginning, lower vitamin D levels and obesity must make this way worse.  

In any event, we will know one day from real medical professionals, not Blumpie.  

• Thanks 1