The burden of age: why Thailand must prepare now for a growing greying society

webfact

ageing-society_web.jpg

While Thailand has set the ageing society as a National Agenda item recently, we need action – and a lot of it – rather than just words.

With talks on the charter amendment and Prayut Chan-o-cha’s future dominating government and parliamentary affairs, one important issue has been grossly overlooked: that everyone, no matter what ideology he or she is advocating, is ageing in a society that is poorly prepared for it.

The recent news about Thailand’s birthrate hitting rock bottom has been a wake–up call for discussion on social media. With the current birth rate of less than 600,000 per annum, the country will have to alter its strategy if it is to cope with the demographic change.

Even Elon Musk is concerned, tweeting, “We should be much more worried about population collapse”. He is also urging people to have more babies.

Unfortunately, Thailand is contributing to the world’s insufficient population. The country has been in the ageing society since 2005, meaning 10% of the population is already 60 or older.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/the-burden-of-age-why-thailand-must-prepare-now-for-a-growing-greying-society/

Logo-top-.png
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2022-02-01

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

As an agricultural and manufacturing economy (with a seriously impaired tourist industry), Thailand is going to need workers in the coming years, a lot of them. Most will have to come from neighboring countries, but the government will have to realize they will need skilled workers from the West and India as well.

Right now, Thailand just looks like a case of too soon old, too late smart.

Paul Laew

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Even Elon Musk is concerned, tweeting, “We should be much more worried about population collapse”. He is also urging people to have more babies.

Yes more of us need to follow Elon Musk’s example:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/11552046/how-many-children-does-elon-musk-have/

Or maybe be like the British prime minister.

https://news.sky.com/story/boris-johnson-finally-confirms-how-many-children-he-has-and-changes-a-lot-of-nappies-12413590

My father was one of 12 and  born in the 1920s. I was one of 6 and born in the 50s. Since then family units have got even smaller. This is usually due to financial pressures.. My grandmother and mother had no real need to work.. If Governments want couples to have more children then they must be prepared to finance them.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Unfortunately, Thailand is contributing to the world’s insufficient population. 

I've done my best since I've been here, but as far as Thais are concerned usually wealth has a great influence on family size.

Being out of work or on a low salary in not conducive to raising a family.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thailand desperately needs a less Xenophobic government.  One willing to encourage immigration of a young educated and motivated labor force from nearby countries such as Myanmar.  One willing to embrace westerners wishing to settle in Thailand bringing income, wealth and expertise.  There needs to be a swift and rapid change in direction or Thailand will suffer the Japanese trap, but without having achieved near the wealth and prosperity.  

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, bert bloggs said:

I know its not PC to state many things these days but many societys these days are having less children ,the ones that are having more and more are the poor African nations and those of the Muslim faith,they will eventually take over as they will be the majority. Sorry if this offends some on here but the truth sometimes hurts.

Africans and Muslims are already in the Majority , 1 .2 Billion people are African and 1, 9 Billion people are Muslim and  about 850 million  White people .

Imagine when they "take-over" USA may get a Black President and London may get a Muslim Mayor 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Asquith Production said:

My father was one of 12 and  born in the 1920s. I was one of 6 and born in the 50s. Since then family units have got even smaller. This is usually due to financial pressures.. My grandmother and mother had no real need to work.. If Governments want couples to have more children then they must be prepared to finance them.

Also lack of birth control for both grandmother and mother.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, trainman34014 said:

Thailand never 'prepares' for anything; it waits until it's happened !

Have you seen the state of aged care support in USA, Uk, Australia? Reforms required as COVID has highlighted the poor conditions of our most vulnerable, the inadequate training and wages for the workers, while the "not for profits" make millions from their governments subsidies,their balance sheets make interesting reading for "not for profits" and provide inadequate care.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Robin said:

Sorry to say this, but I do not see anyone in the current government capable of solving this problem, or of even realising that it exists. Thailand will continue along it path until it is too late 

Why is it a problem? Population growth only covers the need to profit from someone else.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Africans and Muslims are already in the Majority , 1 .2 Billion people are African and 1, 9 Billion people are Muslim and  about 850 million  White people .

Imagine when they "take-over" USA may get a Black President and London may get a Muslim Mayor 

Yes , it's a Quiet  War .

It won't happen overnight but it Will happen.

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, hioctane said:

Sadly it is happening all over the world. No one wants to have kids anymore… and when they do.. it is one or two max.

Can't really blaim people can we.

12 hours ago, webfact said:

The country has been in the ageing society since 2005, meaning 10% of the population is already 60 or older.

no worry! in order to  rejuvenate the aging population, the government should  buy semen from young men...and let laboratories  practice the so called "in vitro" technology! before you know it, there will be a baby boom ????

10 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

You may be mistaken, but there isn't a race war occurring and Muslims in the U.K are generally not wanting to take over the Country , dont be too concerned about it 

Ime not,it wont be my problem but i fear for my grandchildrens future

7 minutes ago, bert bloggs said:

I was talking about religion not race.

Oh OK , when you said "Africans" , I thought you were talking about Black people , "African" isn't a Religion , Are you concerned that the U.K will adopt Islam as its Religion and the Taliban will become the Government ?