"Ungrateful son" beats his mother to death with a piece of timber - she'd refused to give him cash for Ya Ba

webfact

4pm.jpg

Daily News caption: Ungrateful Son

Daily News reported on the horrific case of a son who they called ungrateful in reference to a Thai legend. That was the understatement of 2022.

Na Yong police in the southern Thai province of Trang were called after a murder at a bungalow in their district. 

Lying dead with cerebral matter splattered all around a car parking area was 73 year old Phol. Her dentures were some way from the body. 

The assailant was soon identified as her 39 year old son who had fled on a Honda Wave.

The motorcycle was soon found parked at a rubber plantation and he was nearby.

He was still clutching a 1.5 meter long piece of bloodstained timber. He also had a knife in his waistband.

Police took him into custody after 3 hours. 

4pm1.jpg

Picture: Daily News

It was reported that Phol had two children - the assailant, a Ya Ba addict for 20 years, was the eldest.

Some years ago he attempted to murder his own father by slashing his neck with a knife.

He had been released from jail for attempted murder and been in and out of prison at least 3/4 times. 

His latest brush with the law was in 2019 when he was arrested for Ya Ba (meth with caffeine) use and resisiting arrest. He only got out 3 months ago.

He had called his mother asking for his usual 100-200 baht handout for drugs but on this occasion she refused.

So he drove his no-plate bike over to her house 200 meters from where he lived and beat her to death by striking her at least 10 times in the head.

He is now in custody awaiting prosecution.

Daily News called him " an ungrateful son" referring to the Ramayana (Ramakian) legend of two buffalos - Thorapha and Thoraphee - in which the elder cruel buffalo is killed by his son. 

Long Stay Visa Health Insurance Plans

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-02-02

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information
  • Sad 9

14 minutes ago, webfact said:

Some years ago he attempted to murder his own father by slashing his neck with a knife.

He had been released from jail for attempted murder and been in and out of prison at least 3/4 times. 

And still he was out?? I am not sure what it would be when they make Marijuana legal!!

• Like 1
  • Confused 4
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Paulaew said:

If he was off ya ba and doing some tokes at home he would be chillin' to some tunes and thinking about ordering a large pizza. And telling Mom how much he loved her.

Paul Laew

We shall see, I doubt there would be responsible use.

• Confused 1

9 minutes ago, JustAnotherHun said:

LoL.

Yes, Cannabis is a severe danger. All these Ganja smoking murderers. Scaring. Watch "Reefer Madness" and you will see, what the legalization of Cannabis will do to the society.

I watched that before, question is about responsible use and I am not sure if Thai society is educated or knowledgeable enough to use it responsibly. We might have more traffic incidents if nothing worse.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, steven100 said:

drug user, addict, taker .....   whatever,  say no more. 

Indeed steven addict, drug user. Thankfully this drug user only killed one compared like the other drug users we recently had in the news that killed multiple. Different drug though but same effect people end up dead. 

Just now, RandiRona said:

I watched that before, question is about responsible use and I am not sure if Thai society is educated or knowledgeable enough to use it responsibly. We might have more traffic incidents if nothing worse.

Ehh.. research showed you can better drive and be on weed then on alcohol. So it might actually reduce accidents. Why do you think there would be a difference in how responsible people are with alcohol and how they are with other drugs ?

Anyway not advocating to drive under the influence of any substance and it should be punished severely. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, robblok said:

So it might actually reduce accidents.

This is based on your understanding that all those drinking and driving would change to chew and drive?? That's not the case my friend, there would be more maniacs on road than before.

7 minutes ago, robblok said:

Why do you think there would be a difference in how responsible people are with alcohol and how they are with other drugs

My point exactly. There is no responsible drinking and laws are not actually followed or enforced, not the sign of responsible society.

Edited by RandiRona
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, robblok said:

Can you imagine killing your own mother? I mean that is next level evil. How could one live with themselves afterwards? 

In a Society that teaches it's young people that everything that is wrong is actually right it is easy for them to 'live with it afterwards'.   Responsibility and Accountability are rarely taught by Parents; many millions of whom are ignorant of any decent Moral Standards themselves !

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, trainman34014 said:

In a Society that teaches it's young people that everything that is wrong is actually right it is easy for them to 'live with it afterwards'.   Responsibility and Accountability are rarely taught by Parents; many millions of whom are ignorant of any decent Moral Standards themselves !

Regardless of upbringing, if you kill one of your parents or a family member you will be confronted with that for the rest of your life. If you kill someone else you don't get confronted with it that much.

Its just hard for me to understand, then again this guy was probably mentally unstable.

• Like 1

Like the Thai movie Glong Khao Noi Kaa Mae. Very moving sad movie actually.

In that movie the "Ungrateful Son" kills his mum because she attended temple and was late with this food, and he felt she didn't give him enough sticky-rice.  He was then chained and allowed to build a shrine for his dead mother.  After the shrine is complete?  His head is lopped off Thai style.  Fitting as the punishment fit the crime.

Now?  The kid will wai and say he's so sorry, and will be out of jail before the guys who sold him the yaba.

1a.jpg.e262b0a48a6f631437196ea31a2be681.jpg

The karaoke song outlines the plot.

Edited by connda
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Paulaew said:

The other day the Chanthburi murderer of 4 was described as "disgruntled." The man in this story who brutally beat his mother to death is described as "ungrateful."

Asean Now, please let the adjective fit the crime.

Paul Laew

If you knew the story of Torapha and Toraphee that would explain the use of the word ungrateful. A perfect choice with a little extra by way of bathos. 

4 minutes ago, connda said:

Those who have never tried cannabis are coming out in force nowadays to peach the gospel of Reefer Madness and homicidal stoners.  They completely miss the understanding of the effect of THC as compared to alcohol or yaba.  Drunks and tweekers kill people.  Stoners listen to music, strum the guitar, and eat munchies while watching Netflix.  The only time I've seen a violent stoner was when the stoner was mixing pot and alcohol. 
Tweekers as they degenerate become paranoid and violent.
Drunks can snap anytime.

Stoners also seen to be continuously on internet forums saying that "Alcohol is worse than weed" over and over again in various forums 

• Haha 1