Rabies Pattaya/Jomtien 2022

pixelaoffy

NEW POSITIVE RABIES CASE, NAKLUA SOI 15

19/01/2022 Suan Lalana Village, Pattaya City
28/01/2022 The Lake – Huay Yai, Bang Lamung
31/01/2022 Jittapawan Temple (2 positive)
02/02/2022 Naklua Soi 15.    These are reported cases by" Animal army ". https://thepattayanews.com/2022/02/03/animal-army-gives-an-update-on-the-rabies-situation-in-the-pattaya-area-with-stray-dogs-you-can-help/

Simple action would be to round up and remove stray dogs employing a couple of dog catchers . That's what functional countries do to solve a problem and not let cultural religious belief over ride public health .

Edited by pixelaoffy
  • Like 1

I'm surprised at Baan Suan Lalana being in that list. I once looked at buying a house there (more than a decade ago, admittedly) and it seemed to be quite a tightly run place, not the sort of hippie commune where rabid dogs are allowed to roam freely. Most people live in condos there so I assume dog ownership is also not allowed. Must have been a stray got in off Chaiyapruek somehow, I guess.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, pixelaoffy said:

Um. There are dogs that have been diagnosed with rabies in Pattaya .  They don't all have to be foaming at the mouth . 

final stages do           No dogs in Patts  I do sympathise with these people,they want money,but this is not the way to do it

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

The problem with these dog charity things is they only do a half a job so the problem never goes away, maybe on purpose

Dog charities are just peeing in the wind, at best reducing the population growth slightly. It's not just Buddhism stopping them as there are plenty of examples of animal cruelty here and almost all of them eat meat. The main cause of the reluctance to deal with the problem cannot even be discussed.

On 2/4/2022 at 9:47 AM, pixelaoffy said:

Simple action would be to round up and remove stray dogs employing a couple of dog catchers . That's what functional countries do to solve a problem and not let cultural religious belief over ride public health .

You mean go back to the way it was before the do gooders like Judy Dench stuck their nose in putting it on global media.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/ricky-gervais-and-dame-judi-dench-back-campaign-to-stop-thailand-dog-meat-trade-9818198.html

The government are now between a rock and a hard place.

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

The problem with these dog charity things is they only do a half a job so the problem never goes away, maybe on purpose

Anything is better than nothing and they are limited in what they can do. They come to our house on a regular basis, well they did pre pandemic postponed at the moment, we have about 60 cats and I think 9 dogs. All the animals would be seen by the vet so to get about 70 doses of vaccine free per visit is a bit of a bonus.

What many do not realise is that there is more rabies among cats than dogs, it is just that cats normally carry the virus rather than becoming sick like dogs.

4 minutes ago, sandyf said:

What many do not realise is that there is more rabies among cats than dogs, it is just that cats normally carry the virus rather than becoming sick like dogs.

Not actually correct.   Cats become symptomatic just like any other mammal - however the time from becoming infected to showing clinical signs can vary greatly (in any species).  Cats do not 'carry' the virus. 

8 minutes ago, G Rex said:

Not actually correct.   Cats become symptomatic just like any other mammal - however the time from becoming infected to showing clinical signs can vary greatly (in any species).  Cats do not 'carry' the virus. 

You are wrong, cats can carry a virus and many do and throughout their life. I am talking about feral cats, bit of a different situation to domestic.

We have had cats born with a virus and then died of old age.

My wife and her sister handle around 60 feral cats on a daily basis, they have had more than enough advice from medics on the risks involved.

• Haha 1

On 2/4/2022 at 8:30 PM, fredscats said:

final stages do           No dogs in Patts  I do sympathise with these people,they want money,but this is not the way to do it

Are you suggesting it's fake news, and a scam for money?  

3 hours ago, sandyf said:

You are wrong, cats can carry a virus and many do and throughout their life. I am talking about feral cats, bit of a different situation to domestic.

We have had cats born with a virus and then died of old age.

My wife and her sister handle around 60 feral cats on a daily basis, they have had more than enough advice from medics on the risks involved.

No. Sorry.  You are wrong.

Cats do NOT 'carry' Rabies virus - a Lyssavirus

Cats however can be infected with other viruses - eg FIV , or Coronavirus and not show signs for many years.  They harbour bacteria , like Pseudomonas, in their mouth - which can cause infections to critters or people they bite.  

On 2/4/2022 at 9:47 AM, pixelaoffy said:

They did that a year or so ago.

City Hall employed a crew to round up soi dogs & they got around 600 in a few days & they where put into a big compound somewhere just outside the Darkside but City Hall had no plan or budget to deal with them afterwards.

1 hour ago, G Rex said:

Cats however can be infected with other viruses - eg FIV , or Coronavirus and not show signs for many years.  They harbour bacteria , like Pseudomonas, in their mouth - which can cause infections to critters or people they bite.  

https://www.petmd.com/cat/conditions/neurological/c_ct_rabies

Sid James.    Your link confirms what I have been saying about rabies in cats.

They become infected , and will eventually die.

They do not become (asymptomatic) ‘carriers’ as has been suggested by .sandyf

21 hours ago, G Rex said:

You are free to believe what you want,  we will stick with what the vets tell us.

• Confused 1

I saw a Thai most likely die this morning cuz of these soi dogs. I was just starting my bicycle ride when I saw a pack of dogs lounging in the middle of a street where rabies had been identified, so I was watching closely. A motorbike was in front of me, driving up quickly to this pack. One of the beasts got spooked, jumped in front of the motorbike, then the bike went one way, driver another.

He wasn't wearing a helmet which most likely would have saved his life. Again, I'm not 100% the driver passed but the angle of his head to his body said most likely he was gone.

How many more humans have to die until real measures are taken? SMH

31 minutes ago, HappyExpat57 said:

I saw a Thai most likely die this morning cuz of these soi dogs. I was just starting my bicycle ride when I saw a pack of dogs lounging in the middle of a street where rabies had been identified, so I was watching closely. A motorbike was in front of me, driving up quickly to this pack. One of the beasts got spooked, jumped in front of the motorbike, then the bike went one way, driver another.

He wasn't wearing a helmet which most likely would have saved his life. Again, I'm not 100% the driver passed but the angle of his head to his body said most likely he was gone.

How many more humans have to die until real measures are taken? SM

How many?  Infinitum