Isn't it time they took this monstrosity down?

aussiexpat

1 hour ago, bkk6060 said:

I think never.  There are other areas that have empty shells longer then this place.  Maybe in 40 years they will be so rotted they will collapse.

There's a empty shell of a big building just off Pattaya Tai and Sukhumvit called the Batman dicso, it's been standing there abandoned for 20 years.

Abandoned-Batman-Nightclub.jpg

3 hours ago, newnative said:

I don't think the original developer ran out of money during the initial construction; they were actually ahead of schedule in completing the project.  Construction was halted by the government after protests by locals upset with the height of the building.  My solution would be to remove the top dozen or so 'see-thru' floors that are the least finished and then complete the building.  I think the building has interesting architecture--something rather scarce in Pattaya--and it should be finished rather than torn down.  

The same developer was building the Grand and the Centara condo's opposite each other on soi 15 behind the Avenue. They ran out of money because I understand most of it was siphoned off to the Waterfront. Construction stopped when almost finished. Luckily another developer stepped in and honored all the chanotes, albeit 4 years after they were supposed to get them (my Centara condo was one of them)

7 hours ago, Inala said:

Leave it long enough and it'll probably fall down. I often wonder what will happen to everything man has built on this earth after we finally become extinct as a species? Saw a Youtube on it a while back which hypothesized nature taking over structures pretty quickly, it was quite depressing actually. 

There was an amazing TV series on that with amazing GCI and stuff ... by the way,  would you like a hug ????????????

• Haha 1

There are three options.  Demolish it, finish it (perhaps with modifications) or leave in its present state for evermore.

Demolish it will be very expensive. Bali Hai has no money for that no matter what demolition orders are issued and I can't see City Hall paying with no chance of recovering the money. The mayor can say what he likes.

Finish it might be one way, but is it financially viable now? It would require massive bending of rules with the subsequent public outcry. Might even require an act of parliament to get it done.

By default leaving it in its present state seems the most likely outcome.  Carcasses in the middle of Bangkok is one thing, but Waterfront is at the end of one of Thailand's major tourist beaches.  What a wonderful advert!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

Please buy one of the condos I want to build because I need your money to build it as I don't have enough funds of my own.

What could possibly go wrong?

NEVER, EVER buy "off plan" in Thailand.

Or

Only buy imaginary property with imaginary money

4 hours ago, Grusa said:

Can you  imagine the noise! Bad idea!

It would become a tourist attraction.  5 Star multi level hotel for stay dogs.  They could put a night club or Thai karaoke downstairs to drown out the barking.   ????  

2 hours ago, Leaver said:

It would become a tourist attraction.  5 Star multi level hotel for stay dogs.  They could put a night club or Thai karaoke downstairs to drown out the barking.   ????  

Or a dog track, for legalised gambolling.

13 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Good read, thanks.

So a demolition order has been approved for over a year, the developers have applied to restart construction after agreeing to knock of the top 8 floors that obstruct some statue from pointing at the water, it's still in the courts for the condo purchasers and the building is in breach of the within 100m of water rule, however they are reclaiming enough waterfront sand to make it within the 100m rule, but that project is also stalled

What a mess

Edited by aussiexpat
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, bbko said:

There's a empty shell of a big building just off Pattaya Tai and Sukhumvit called the Batman dicso, it's been standing there abandoned for 20 years.

Abandoned-Batman-Nightclub.jpg

But at least no one sees Batman. The Waterfront is in a prime position seen by every tourist in Pattaya. Great advert for Neo Pattaya !!

• Like 2