Summary of requirements for travelling inside Thailand

I am in Phuket and would like to go to Chang Mai and back to Phuket.

I have some difficulties in individuating the requirements for travelling between province, and I found only this summary (in Thai language) on the ThaiSmile site:  https://www.thaismileair.com/th/newsupdates/news_2992

Does anybody know a link similar to this, updated and complete, in english ?

Great job as usual from @ubonjoe, HOWEVER the devil is in the details like how you travel (onsite mandatory ATK tests for some ferries), hotels you stay in (same as ferries) etc.

Wife travelled with car from Banglamung through various provinces to Roi Et, many checkpoints, but no checks/questions about Covid in checkpoints. One hotel in Roi Et wanted ATK, hotel in At Samat didn't care.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

The restrictions listed are those that were in force last October. I believe that, in most cases, there are fewer restrictions today.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Skeptic7 said:

The only thing had to show was proof of being fully vaxed when checking in for Thai Smile

Do you have one only thai vaccination certificates or a mix of thai and foreign certificates ?

I tryed this morning at the Provincial Health Office (Phuket) and asked to put together, in one only document, my thai and foreign vaccinations but they said me that they (as Health Office) do not recognize foreign vaccines.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, federicoP said:

Do you have one only thai vaccination certificates or a mix of thai and foreign certificates ?

I tryed this morning at the Provincial Health Office (Phuket) and asked to put together, in one only document, my thai and foreign vaccinations but they said me that they (as Health Office) do not recognize foreign vaccines.

Only 1 Thai vax certificate. No foreign. Got both doses here from Bangkok-Pattaya Hospital.

9 hours ago, federicoP said:

lol. Then how did the tourists got their Thailand Pass if they don't recognize foreign vaccines?

I think it would help if you have a vaccine passport from your home country.

Edited by EricTh

6 hours ago, TPDH said:

So basically you can travel domestically to Phuket and other provinces even without a vaccine as long as you have the negative ATK test? I thought vaccine was required for domestic travel but doesn't seem so. 

Except Udon Thani and Khon Kaen, yes. Here's Thai Smile Covid Requirement Chart by destination...

https://www.thaismileair.com/en/newsupdates/news_2992

5 hours ago, Skeptic7 said:

Except Udon Thani and Khon Kaen, yes. Here's Thai Smile Covid Requirement Chart by destination...

https://www.thaismileair.com/en/newsupdates/news_2992

That chart is ridiculously outdated and absolutely useless. You need to research yourself the current rules for your destination. As an example, these are the current rules for Chiang Mai:

http://www.chiangmai.go.th/covid19/assets/img/infoc/covid81eng.jpg

In reading this, note that "maximum control provinces" no longer exist, so you only need to look at the simple requirements under "Travelers from Other Provinces".. You will see that neither vaccination nor tests are required.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, federicoP said:

I tried to show my Thai booster cert (to get in to a flower festival in Chiang Rai of all things) It was not accepted but I found the printed pdf of my 2 Pfizers from the UK which was fine. Apart from that in the last 6 months have been to Nan, Phayao, Pai, MHS by car and Bangkok by train. Stayed in hotels in all these places and been asked for nothing other than a passport and that only occasionally.

1 hour ago, BritTim said:

That chart is ridiculously outdated and absolutely useless. You need to research yourself the current rules for your destination. As an example, these are the current rules for Chiang Mai:

http://www.chiangmai.go.th/covid19/assets/img/infoc/covid81eng.jpg

In reading this, note that "maximum control provinces" no longer exist, so you only need to look at the simple requirements under "Travelers from Other Provinces".. You will see that neither vaccination nor tests are required.

Agree the Thai Smile chart is old, but the jpg you linked is even older! As of 17 Jan 2022, the ThaiSmile chart was accurate for Chiang Mai and Udon Thani at least. 

Edited by Skeptic7

7 hours ago, Skeptic7 said:

Agree the Thai Smile chart is old, but the jpg you linked is even older! As of 17 Jan 2022, the ThaiSmile chart was accurate for Chiang Mai and Udon Thani at least. 

The Thai Smile chart you cite suggests that vaccination and tests are required to enter Chiang Mai. I do not believe that is true, regardless of which province you are arriving from. Chiang Mai's rules have not been updated since July of last year, but the abolition of maximum control zones has made an update unnecessary. The simplified requirements that already existed when traveling from many provinces simply became uniform. It is true that Udon Thani still has stricter rules.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BritTim said:

The Thai Smile chart you cite suggests that vaccination and tests are required to enter Chiang Mai. I do not believe that is true, regardless of which province you are arriving from. Chiang Mai's rules have not been updated since July of last year, but the abolition of maximum control zones has made an update unnecessary. The simplified requirements that already existed when traveling from many provinces simply became uniform. It is true that Udon Thani still has stricter rules.

Not disagreeing, but...

I flew to Chiang Mai from BKK last month as mentioned in previous posts. To get boarding pass at check-in, have to show Vax document or negative test result. There is a rapid testing station outside at Swampy. Perhaps these are Thai Smile requirements, but that seems unlikely. Reason being, on my return flight to BKK no Vax or test results were needed, exactly as this chart clearly states. Again, these may be Thai Smile requirements but I don't think so. If ThaiSmile required vax or negative test to get on their planes one way...then they would require it both ways. This is what makes me think they are enforcing provincial requirements. Of course, nothing is ever clear or consistent here in Land of Opaque.

Side note...upon arrival in Udon had to show Vax doc or test result to on site checkpoint before able to exit the airport! The exits had guards collecting receipts issued from the checkpoint. This was not the case in Chiang Mai, just exit normally without being checked. 

23 minutes ago, Skeptic7 said:

@BritTimam flying BKK-CNX again a little later this month. Will inquire with ThaiSmile staff if requirements are provincial or their own. They prob won't have a clue, but will give it a go. 

This is my guess. When maximum control zones were abolished, Thai Smile just considered the fact that Chiang Mai's published provincial rules were unchanged without considering the effect of the maximum control zones no longer existing. They are still erroneously enforcing rules that used to exist for Bangkok to Chiang Mai.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

@BritTim FYI...just checked in for flight from Swampy to Chiang Mai. Was asked to see proof of covid vax. Showed my online version and asked if was ThaiSmile or Chiang Mai provincial rule. She replied...have to show vax proof or negative covid test result or cannot go.

At this point it doesn't really matter because if one wants to fly there on ThaiSmile (and most likely any other carrier), one has  to show some kind of proof.