Return flight or one way is ok?

10 hours ago, mrfaroukh said:

To get your Thai Pass I think you need the return ticket or just a ticket to outside Thailand. Let us say you buy a ticket  to Thailand and from Thailand to cheapest country in the area

A return or onward ticket is not required for the Thailand Pass.

I once flew Air Garuda to Jakarta on a one way. I called them first and they told me explicitly to book an onward flight, and then told me where in the Jakarta airport to go to to get a refund on that flight and how to do it.

It's an infrequent query for most airlines, but they all def have an easy protocol in place to assist you. They want your business and they will try to accommodate you. They have to abide by local immigration rules and and hate to turn away a fare.

Thank you for the comments.  Dr Jack, my preference is to just book a cheap flight out of Thailand 30 days after my arrival.  I also note in one of the comments above that this may also be required to validate my thai pass.  Should I therefore upload my return flight information with the thai pass application as well?   Thank you.  

34 minutes ago, HKexpat said:

Thank you for the comments.  Dr Jack, my preference is to just book a cheap flight out of Thailand 30 days after my arrival.  I also note in one of the comments above that this may also be required to validate my thai pass.  Should I therefore upload my return flight information with the thai pass application as well?   Thank you.  

Nothing to do with Thai pass.

Don't bother with uploading onward flight.

Your plan of buying throw away is peace of mind.

Checked earlier today BKK to KL.......1560 baht.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Nothing to do with Thai pass.

Don't bother with uploading onward flight.

Your plan of buying throw away is peace of mind.

Checked earlier today BKK to KL.......1560 baht.

onward flight is 390 tbh no other charges

On 2/9/2022 at 4:55 PM, HKexpat said:

Am planning to enter as visa exempt for 30 days then apply for O retirement visa.   As am planning to not have any need to return to HK for at least a few years is it ok to just book a one way ticket as if I book less than a year I won’t plan on using the return portion so seems a waste.  Do I have to have a return flight to enter visa exempt?  Thanks. 

IF entering Visa Exempt you ‘should’ have a return or onward flight and be able to show 20,000 baht cash (or currency equivalent). 

IF someone is entering with a Visa the requirement for a return fly disappears. 

The reality is that this is rarely checked by Immigration, however, Airlines do sometimes check. There are also stories of people being refused entry at Thailand without a return or onward flight (something which theoretically can be quickly resolved with an internet connection, however).

As the conversation has drifted - No tickets or onward flight bookings need to be uploaded to Thailand Pass IF you are not departing within 5 days. Only a Flight Number and Date of arrival is required.

Equally so, it is not required to upload any visa information - Thailand Pass is completely independent of any visa regulations. 

On 2/10/2022 at 5:21 PM, aussiexpat said:

Another ridiculous thread with people saying you must buy a throw away ticket to justify what they think is real

Traveled to Thailand at least 50 times in last 10 years, never been asked to show onward ticket, just like no-one has been asked to show proof of 20,000 baht funds.

Waste your money if you like with a throw away ticket, but no need. Worst case scenario is buy a throw away if they insist, which they obviously don't unless you look like a homeless bum ????

You are providing incorrect advice.

With various different carries, Emirates, Finn, Qatar, Etihad I have have been asked if I have an onward flight - I have had to point that that is is not required with a Visa. 

Additionally, there are stories on this forum of guys being refused entry for the ‘reason’ of not having 20,000 baht, although usually this is the ‘lazy' excuse written by immigration when someone has entered visa exempt too many times in their eyes. 

The ONLY correct advice to offer is to ensure that anyone entering Visa Exempt has an onward ticket (either throw away or refundable) and to ensure they have 20,000 baht cash equivalent on them. 

------

As others have written, an onward flight can be secured extremely cheaply - it checks a box for immigration and more likely Airline Check-in. Its always useful to travel with cash as a back-up even if its never needed or used ( I always travel with US$1000 ever since I was stuck in a s#!thole which didn’t have any cards)... additionally, there are no ATM’s air-side, so withdrawing cash in an emergency if an Immigration Officer does check is a no-goer.

Why is any of this even a discussion - its not worth the risk, we know the requirements and they are easy to meet. 

Edited by richard_smith237

The Thai Consulate in Ho Chi Minh City - Tourist Visa info  states:

"Evidence of transportation  

• Flight itinerary for ROUND TRIP ticket 
  • The ticket must show the applicant’s name, departure date and time, and flight details"

Also - 

Thaiembassy.com - which is NOT a Thai Embassy - states re: Visa Exempt - 

"1. They must have a confirmed return ticket to show that they are flying out of Thailand within 30 days of entry, as appropriate. Open tickets do not qualify. Traveling overland out of Thailand by train, bus, etc to Cambodia, Laos, Malaysia (including en route to Singapore), Myanmar, etc may be accepted as proof of exiting Thailand. You may be asked to show your flight ticket on entering Thailand. If you do not possess a flight ticket to show you will be exiting Thailand within 30 days of entry you will be most likely refused entry."

Edited by JimmyJ

32 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

I've never been asked to show 20,000 tbh but I always got it.

Same here....  Its not so much a concern with a re-entry permit or long stay / residency type visa etc.

Realistically, its not so much of a concern recently because everyone is more concerned about Covid-19 than the pettiness of 20,000 baht and onward flights etc....

BUT... in the past people have been rejected entry on this technicality when Immigration have become suspicious of the numbers of a ‘visitors’ repeat visa exempts arrivals. 

I suspect there are a couple of Imm-officers who are not so ‘farang’ friendly and enjoyed their odd power trip and enforced a rarely enforced regulation which caught a few people out.

I dare say those ‘few’ people who were rejected for not having 20,000 baht cash would have been rejected for another reason. It was also noted (on this forum) by a couple of those who have been rejected that they did in fact have the cash and were never asked for it... but the Imm-Officer refused entry on that basis, it was only once they were home and had their ‘rejection stamp’ translated that they found out that was the reason given. 

10 minutes ago, HKexpat said:

Thanks for the comments.  The within 30 days part for visa exempt if I arrive visa exempt on March 9 and have a confirmed (one way) ticket to Singapore on April 8 this is on the 30th day.  Does this suffice?

That is 31 days (day of arrival and departure are counted as full days)

Edited by aussiexpat
  • Like 1

Dr Jack, if I have an onward flight technically 31 days after my arrival can the airline refuse this as it’s not within 30 days.   Just checked and it’s cheaper to book a new flight than change the date.    My other option I guess it the throwaway ticket as a backup for $12.  Thanks. 

1 hour ago, HKexpat said:

Thanks for the comments.  The within 30 days part for visa exempt if I arrive visa exempt on March 9 and have a confirmed (one way) ticket to Singapore on April 8 this is on the 30th day.  Does this suffice?

That is 30 days according to my date calculator.

image.png.98f6ee19e64142dbf2a1cdf35798c97d.png

8 minutes ago, aussiexpat said:

Well it's not 29 days, it's 30 as by your statement I would have had up to 13 Feb

20220212_184252.jpg

That is due to immigration starting the 30 days from the day you enter the country.

The airline would count it as 30 days.