A Problem At School

georgieboy

I have 2 at Best, both will leave next term, they are 8 & 9 while they were young it was good, they enjoyed the school and that is a very important part of young schooling, the tuition a few years ago was also good. The school has deteriorated rapidly the last few years and I am concerned about the discipline and respect the children are taught when they get older there.

My 2 will be transferred to Assumption in Rayong and the Catholic school next door for my daughter.

Great campus and facilities as well as seamless integration into the Assumption University at a later date.

Rambler is spot on Best the best of a bad bunch, however as the kids get older that’s not good enough.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anybody have any first hand experiences with ISP and do they offer a genuine British curriculem?, any comments would be welcome. Going to stop by there when Im back.

Not a good school , more like a hustle with the Wutichort Bilingual school in front of it.

I understand the owners also run Friendship Supermarket , so it is simply another cash cow of a school.

During my quest to find the best school for my son (in Pattaya), I also visited ISP on Sukhumvit (next to Mc. Donalds) - with enrollment and tuition fee comparable to Garden, St. Andrews, Regents and ISE, International School of Pattaya (in my opinion) however is far below the quality and standard of it's peers. English is not our first language and if I were going to spend that kind of money, I would like my son to attend a facility that is taught by native English speakers in all subjects except Thai Language and Culture. It's not that I'm prejudice, it just make sense. My advice is to visit all these schools, ask for a tour of the school, check their facilities, talk to the teachers and the principal, take notes, ask questions - then make the decission. It would also be a good idea to bring your kid(s) along - after all it is them who will be attending the school 5 days a week, but the final decission should be yours.

The school fees at ISE/ISP?? 75000 seem ok, I will have a good look around there, can you please comment on what you did not like about the place or other rumours you have heard apart from high turnover in staff?

St. Andrews seems a little far to travel.

Regents, too pricey.

Check out Post #6 from sriracha john. He says, and I agree, that the ISE's fees are based on grade level of the student, but an example is that for Kindergarten to 5th grade, it's tuition is 340,000 per year.

I priced this school for my daughter and it was going to cost me a total of 400,000 baht per year which was made up from the tuition fee, travelling, insurance, uniforms etc. etc.

75,000 baht? :o Where did you get this information?

You're absolutely correct - if you're going to send your kid to any of the following schools:

1. The Regents

2. St. Andrew International

3. Garden International

4. International School of the Eastern Seaboard

Expect to pay between 300K to 450K (tuition, transportation, lunch, & books) annually. For new students there is a one time enrollment fee anywhere from 50K to 100K. So maybe the 75K is the enrollment fee, not tuition. I visited all the above mentioned schools and did my homework before I enrolled my son at St. Andrews.

What made you select St. Andrews from that list ?

And do you feel it is worth it ?

Although Regent's is conveniently close compare to St. Andrews, it is also considerably more expensive. So, I was hoping to find a school of that standard at a more reasonable price. After narrowing it down to St. Andrews, ISE and Garden, we chose St. Andrews after speaking to the Principal and all our our son's potential teachers. We were impressed with the teachers, the class size, and just got a good gut feeling about the school in general. St. Andrews is excellent from Kinder Garten thru Grade 11 at which point the students will take their IGCSE. They are just starting up an International Baccalaurate for grade 12 and 13 but it is yet to be seen what will be offerred for IB.

After narrowing it down to St. Andrews, ISE and Garden, we chose St. Andrews after speaking to the Principal and all our our son's potential teachers. We were impressed with the teachers, the class size, and just got a good gut feeling about the school in general. St. Andrews is excellent from Kinder Garten thru Grade 11 at which point the students will take their IGCSE. They are just starting up an International Baccalaurate for grade 12 and 13 but it is yet to be seen what will be offerred for IB.

Which is an important point to consider for those with kids in high school. International School Eastern Seaboard (ISE) does have an excellent IB program and have had it for at least 3 years.

If university for their children is the goal for the parents, it's almost mandatory that their child be involved in an IB program during their high school years.

Edited by sriracha john

MY 2 kids have been at BEST for 3 1/2 years, now aged 5 & 6 and up until now I have not had a problem with the school as such until now.

Apart from the place looking like a complete doss hole and the sports area/car park looking like a landfill site of course.

This year my eldest moved up to Primary P1B to be exact. My daughter has loved going to school since she first stated going and getting her motivated has never been an issue.

Since she had moved up however her Thai teacher is a male for the first time, she recently came home saying that if she is naughty at school her Thai teacher is going to eat her!!!. I shrugged it off and asked her who had said this, she replied "all my friends have told me this".

Last week she lost her daily report book, which she was literally in tears about. I asked her why she was crying and she said that her teacher was now going to eat her because she had lost it. The next day going to school she was petrified and cried all the way to school and begged me to go in with her and ask her teacher for a new one. I agreed and when I seen him he was most polite and said "No problem I will do her a new one".

On her return home from school I said to her that her teacher seemed very nice and obliging to sorting it out. She then turned around to me and said "Yes but after you went home dad he told me if I loose this one then he will eat me".

My daughter now dreads going to school and is scared senseless of her teacher. School life is not so easy at the best of time for children, and personally I think it is a mental form of bullying and I am not too impressed at all with it.

I am going to see the headmaster or someone I can get a bit of sense out of ( If thats possible here, remains to be seen), as if I have to move my daughter out of the school because of it I will also move my son.

I will let you know what is said about this by the head.

MY 2 kids have been at BEST for 3 1/2 years, now aged 5 & 6 and up until now I have not had a problem with the school as such until now.

Apart from the place looking like a complete doss hole and the sports area/car park looking like a landfill site of course.

This year my eldest moved up to Primary P1B to be exact. My daughter has loved going to school since she first stated going and getting her motivated has never been an issue.

Since she had moved up however her Thai teacher is a male for the first time, she recently came home saying that if she is naughty at school her Thai teacher is going to eat her!!!. I shrugged it off and asked her who had said this, she replied "all my friends have told me this".

Last week she lost her daily report book, which she was literally in tears about. I asked her why she was crying and she said that her teacher was now going to eat her because she had lost it. The next day going to school she was petrified and cried all the way to school and begged me to go in with her and ask her teacher for a new one. I agreed and when I seen him he was most polite and said "No problem I will do her a new one".

On her return home from school I said to her that her teacher seemed very nice and obliging to sorting it out. She then turned around to me and said "Yes but after you went home dad he told me if I loose this one then he will eat me".

My daughter now dreads going to school and is scared senseless of her teacher. School life is not so easy at the best of time for children, and personally I think it is a mental form of bullying and I am not too impressed at all with it.

I am going to see the headmaster or someone I can get a bit of sense out of ( If thats possible here, remains to be seen), as if I have to move my daughter out of the school because of it I will also move my son.

This is a disgrace the thought of your daughter being so scared really pisses me off god knows how you feel.Ihave heard the teacher in question has some strange ideas about how to run his classes but this is ridiculus as its clearly mental bullying ,at P1 these kids are so sensative having just left kindergarten.Maybe a move to an alternative class could be an option my sons teachers (P1C) both Thai and foreign seem very good.Goodluck kiddie and keep us informed ref;the meeting with the school head.

The school fees at ISE/ISP?? 75000 seem ok, I will have a good look around there, can you please comment on what you did not like about the place or other rumours you have heard apart from high turnover in staff?

St. Andrews seems a little far to travel.

Regents, too pricey.

Check out Post #6 from sriracha john. He says, and I agree, that the ISE's fees are based on grade level of the student, but an example is that for Kindergarten to 5th grade, it's tuition is 340,000 per year.

I priced this school for my daughter and it was going to cost me a total of 400,000 baht per year which was made up from the tuition fee, travelling, insurance, uniforms etc. etc.

75,000 baht? :o Where did you get this information?

You're absolutely correct - if you're going to send your kid to any of the following schools:

1. The Regents

2. St. Andrew International

3. Garden International

4. International School of the Eastern Seaboard

Expect to pay between 300K to 450K (tuition, transportation, lunch, & books) annually. For new students there is a one time enrollment fee anywhere from 50K to 100K. So maybe the 75K is the enrollment fee, not tuition. I visited all the above mentioned schools and did my homework before I enrolled my son at St. Andrews.

Personally I looked at Garden, Regent's and St Andrews and chose St Andrews. I like the environment and atmosphere, which in my opinion is particularly important for early years students.

It is a very family oriented school with a very active Parent Teachers group. The school is growing very quickly, which indicates that it has a good reputation borne of satisfied parents. International schools are expensive, but my son's education and welfare is my prime concern and I will pay what I have to. If I couldn't ensure good schooling for him here, I would move elsewhere.

This is a disgrace the thought of your daughter being so scared really pisses me off god knows how you feel.Ihave heard the teacher in question has some strange ideas about how to run his classes but this is ridiculus as its clearly mental bullying ,at P1 these kids are so sensative having just left kindergarten.Maybe a move to an alternative class could be an option my sons teachers (P1C) both Thai and foreign seem very good.Goodluck kiddie and keep us informed ref;the meeting with the school head.

I have two boys at BEST. I agree with the concensus of the thread. My youngest has just moved up to P1 and experienced the same thing as the girl above. What the teacher actually says is that he will 'gin dtap', literally meaning I will eat your liver! I too was very angry. I've been in Thailand a long time and understand the control 'through fear' that this society thrives on but when it comes to little ones in the classroom then need nuture and care not scare tactics. There was also another boy in the class throwing a knife around when the teacher wasn't looking - I'm not impressed!! My boys love school but this term has been difficult, it needs sorting out.

I have two boys at BEST. I agree with the concensus of the thread. My youngest has just moved up to P1 and experienced the same thing as the girl above. What the teacher actually says is that he will 'gin dtap', literally meaning I will eat your liver! I too was very angry. I've been in Thailand a long time and understand the control 'through fear' that this society thrives on but when it comes to little ones in the classroom then need nuture and care not scare tactics. There was also another boy in the class throwing a knife around when the teacher wasn't looking - I'm not impressed!! My boys love school but this term has been difficult, it needs sorting out.

it's just a matter of time before accident may happen... move your child while you can.

I like what they do in R.E.S.P, they have 2 teachers per 25 student per class.

I think Garden International School/R.E.P.S. is one of the best in the area. Attached are the foreign teachers listed in the current curriculum.

Does anyone have the website address for Garden International School? The one that I have (http://www.gisthailand.net) links to a travel website.

Here it is gdnuttall: http://www.repsrayong.com

We are considering this school very seriously for our children for the next term.

B.E.S.T. IS NOT ALWAYS BEST

I am a parent of a student who was taught by the late Matt Hayes at BURAPHA ENGLISH-PROGRAMME SCHOOL OF THAILAND on Sukhumvit Road. I was very angry to find out that the school has appointed THE BANGKOK PATTAYA HOSPITAL to administer flu shots at the school .This is a total lack of thought, sensitivity and respect by the school owner, director and management towards the family and friends of Matt as this "hospital" who by their actions played a crucial part in his death. One can only imagine that the school owner is getting a kickback as the cost is not even good value. I for one will not allow my child to be treated by BPH for any ailment. It would

appear that both places are very similar as BPH is a business masqueradingas a hospital and BEST is a business masquerading as a school and both have many problems relating to basic human values. Most know all about the practices of the BPH but what about BEST "SCHOOL"?? My daughter studies in primary 2 and only one month into the new term (cost approx 25000 bt per term) I have observed the following: I pay for native speakers yet most of the recently appointed teachers are from the Philippines, i.e., non native

speakers. The management at the school is weak and lacks commitment to say the least. The whole place is dirty including the canteen and classrooms. Where are all the cleaners? Indeed the students are ordered to clean the school on a daily basis in morning assembly. I paid in advance for my daughters books (not cheap) yet still now these have not been given and in some cases the books are not in publication any more so old ones are photocopied (illegally I might add). I pay for my child to study in an aircon classroom. This is seldom turned on or works properly. Many students complain about the heat. Basically the place is a sham. I was promised so much more in the admin office as they took my money. Apparently the owner has not visited the school in months/years. That says it all really. I think MANY THINGS NEED URGENT ATTENTION BUT MY ADVICE TO ALL IS DON'T HOLD YOUR BREATH.

Signed

ANGRY, FRUSTRATED PARENT.

My son attended this school at the age of 4.  However, i though of it as being just acceptable as a kindergarten as i was aware of the poor quality of teaching (what i considered).  I cant believe you would pay 25k per term for such a school. How long is a term?

Re philipino teachers i would consider them far better than Thais,  My wifes thai neice is 12 years old and we always thought she was quite able,  However we just discoverd that she doesnt know the difference between multiply and times.  

apparantly this isnt that uncommon when taught in thai schools :o

I am a parent of a student who was taught by the late Matt Hayes at BURAPHA ENGLISH-PROGRAMME SCHOOL OF THAILAND on Sukhumvit Road. I was very angry to find out that the school has appointed THE BANGKOK PATTAYA HOSPITAL to administer flu shots at the school .This is a total lack of thought, sensitivity and respect by the school owner, director and management towards the family and friends of Matt as this "hospital" who by their actions played a crucial part in his death. One can only imagine that the school owner is getting a kickback as the cost is not even good value. I for one will not allow my child to be treated by BPH for any ailment. It would

appear that both places are very similar as BPH is a business masqueradingas a hospital and BEST is a business masquerading as a school and both have many problems relating to basic human values. Most know all about the practices of the BPH but what about BEST "SCHOOL"?? My daughter studies in primary 2 and only one month into the new term (cost approx 25000 bt per term) I have observed the following: I pay for native speakers yet most of the recently appointed teachers are from the Philippines, i.e., non native

speakers. The management at the school is weak and lacks commitment to say the least. The whole place is dirty including the canteen and classrooms. Where are all the cleaners? Indeed the students are ordered to clean the school on a daily basis in morning assembly. I paid in advance for my daughters books (not cheap) yet still now these have not been given and in some cases the books are not in publication any more so old ones are photocopied (illegally I might add). I pay for my child to study in an aircon classroom. This is seldom turned on or works properly. Many students complain about the heat. Basically the place is a sham. I was promised so much more in the admin office as they took my money. Apparently the owner has not visited the school in months/years. That says it all really. I think MANY THINGS NEED URGENT ATTENTION BUT MY ADVICE TO ALL IS DON'T HOLD YOUR BREATH.

Signed

My son attended this school at the age of 4.  However, i though of it as being just acceptable as a kindergarten as i was aware of the poor quality of teaching (what i considered).  I cant believe you would pay 25k per term for such a school. How long is a term?

Re philipino teachers i would consider them far better than Thais,  My wifes thai neice is 12 years old and we always thought she was quite able,  However we just discoverd that she doesnt know the difference between multiply and times.  

i don't have anything against teachers from philippines and actually i'm planning to get one to tutor my son.

Signed

My son attended this school at the age of 4. However, i though of it as being just acceptable as a kindergarten as i was aware of the poor quality of teaching (what i considered). I cant believe you would pay 25k per term for such a school. How long is a term?

Re philipino teachers i would consider them far better than Thais, My wifes thai neice is 12 years old and we always thought she was quite able, However we just discoverd that she doesnt know the difference between multiply and times.

i don't have anything against teachers from philippines and actually i'm planning to get one to tutor my son.

I don't think anyone on this thread has anything againest the Philippino teachers at BEST school, my daughter was taught by a very nice and good Philippino teacher last year and we had no complaints, I think the point was that these teachers are not NATIVE English speaking and should not be claimed as such by BEST school management.

Re philipino teachers i would consider them far better than Thais, My wifes thai neice is 12 years old and we always thought she was quite able, However we just discoverd that she doesnt know the difference between multiply and times.

apparantly this isnt that uncommon when taught in thai schools :D

Huh? I know your point really is that Thai schools aren't very good, but what is the difference between multiply and times? :o

apparantly this isnt that uncommon when taught in thai schools :D

Huh? I know your point really is that Thai schools aren't very good, but what is the difference between multiply and times? :o

There is no difference between multiply and times.

In Asia Surnames are rarely used, so addressing the teachers by Mr. or Khun and their first names is definately showing respect in accirdance with Thai culture.

My son is in his fifth year at Best and I have found the staff both Thai and foreign to be very professional and helpful. I don't think their is another school on the Eastern seaboard that measures up to Best. Their is a waiting list to get into this schoo.

Barry

Except for countries like Japan (Asia) where the last name is used to the exclusion of the first...

• 3 years later...

Studies show that the average home schooled 8th grader performs four grade levels above the national average. My 7 year old daughter goes to Tantaruck school.But I'm seriously thinking of home schooling next year.My friends in Singapore swear by it.When they lived in Thailand there daughter went to the Regents .The father is CEO of an investment bank in Singapore, so the fees were not part of why they made the decision to home school.I recently meet 15 children home schooled in Singapore.There was a huge difference in there education level and there maturity all round.I am interested in finding up to 5 other children,whose parents who would be interested in employing a teacher to run a home school.If we all chipped in just 10,000baht a month I'm confident we would get exactly the type of teacher we would want for our children , the curriculum we wanted used and any thing else we thought in the best interests of our children.Please contact [email protected] if you are interested.