Restaurants testing: Don't you think "if they don't ask, you walk" is a bit much?

Jingthing

7 hours ago, illiterate said:

At this point I am happy to take my business elsewhere if anything Covid related is asked of me at a business, and I think everyone else should do the same. Why would you not unless you like to be asked for paper or whatever when entering businesses 

I don't see your point. If the young girl at the door of the 7-11 asks me to use the temperature check device, it is no skin off my nose to do so. To about turn and try elsewhere is just a waste of my time and seems idiotic. What I choose to do is my business and I reject your sentiment I should do as you suggest.

It is making someone's job difficult and  appears simply to be some point proving stubbornness. Life is simply too short. 

• Like 2

On 2/13/2022 at 9:22 AM, Guderian said:

Just find a photo of a negative ATK test, download it onto your phone, then if anyone asks for it tell them it was your negative test result from two days ago, lol.

This whole thing is one of those that the mandate issuers must know being unenforceable, just very typical Thai. Just like deciding that bars can not open, yet allowing all bars be open as normal just by calling them restaurants.

No way other than keep restaurants and/or bars closed if they want to disable spreading in such venues. Have not gone out much at all and kept my personal space so not much of a personal issue though

When the requirement came,  however went for a dinner in restaurant nearby and the waiter  asked for test result. My companion had done the test (for real) and she showed, I told I wont come if need to test as I worry I have to go to govt self-paid prison if positive, making the dinner potentially very expensive for me...waiter smiled and we had our dinner well separated from other customers as only few inside - and they got their money!

Seems the pic thing works good at least to get past WS club entrances, proven by a friend that can use same downloaded pic every day 555 - making the whole requirement pointless as those who don't care for spreading, or scared for the prison like me, won't test anyway. Thai logic.

On 2/13/2022 at 9:22 AM, Guderian said:

Just find a photo of a negative ATK test, download it onto your phone, then if anyone asks for it tell them it was your negative test result from two days ago, lol.

I'm above resorting to lying and trickery, I would quite happily walk and give some other establishment my business. Taking the test isn't an issue, it's the principle of being asked for it.

Edited by HexTree
  • Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/13/2022 at 8:27 PM, topt said:

Agreed

Agreed on first point but what are the threats ahead you refer to as an issue and the specific 2 year timeframe you mention?

The government is going to selling off the FM frequencies & a Thai company rumoured to be government backed has already pledged nigh on half a billion buying some up.

The people behind a small bespoke radio station like superb 102.99999 can't compete & so if this goes ahead they & most small stations will cease to exist on the airwaves.

Up in the heartlands of red shirt territory alot of their news is spread via the airways & a cynic might take a view that this kind of action is a way to shut down voices that the wonderfully democratic government here don't want heard but who could possibly think such a thing.... 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, SidJames said:

The government is going to selling off the FM frequencies & a Thai company rumoured to be government backed has already pledged nigh on half a billion buying some up.

The people behind a small bespoke radio station like superb 102.99999 can't compete & so if this goes ahead they & most small stations will cease to exist on the airwaves.

Up in the heartlands of red shirt territory alot of their news is spread via the airways & a cynic might take a view that this kind of action is a way to shut down voices that the wonderfully democratic government here don't want heard but who could possibly think such a thing.... 

Yes funnily enough I heard Tommy Dee talk about it one morning, I think it was last Wednesday, so bad news all round not least just the potential loss of jobs.

4 hours ago, champers said:

It is MCOT (Mass Communications of Thailand) who have bought the majority of licences. They are state owned, as are all the broadcasters owned by the armed services. Staying on one message is so important.

Just so I can get some perspective on this are you saying that this democratic government is selling or already has sold licences to broadcast to another section of the same democratic government?

I understood (maybe mistakenly) that this was a process that is supposed to take 2 years to allow others to bid in order to raise much needed revenue for this democratic government.

I'm not attacking your post fella as your posts are on point but I would like to know to understand this point a bit more.

22 minutes ago, SidJames said:

Just so I can get some perspective on this are you saying that this democratic government is selling or already has sold licences to broadcast to another section of the same democratic government?

I understood (maybe mistakenly) that this was a process that is supposed to take 2 years to allow others to bid in order to raise much needed revenue for this democratic government.

I'm not attacking your post fella as your posts are on point but I would like to know to understand this point a bit more.

I am saying what was reported in the Bangkok Post Business section last week and discussed by Tommy Dee on Pattaya 103FM, also last week.

@Tommy Dee would probably better explain it as he has a vested interest but I would understand any reluctance on his part to come on here and elaborate. There seems to be an upcoming 2 year period for interested parties to fight their corner, for want of a better phrase.

Edited by champers
  • Like 1

On 2/13/2022 at 3:06 PM, JustAnotherHun said:

If they asked me for an ATK test, I would walk. No restaurant did yet and I'm out daily

Exactly. I'll walk and find another restaurant. They are not hard to find and they all despeartely need customers.

I am 100% sure you don't need any testing where I live (in the west ) maybe to show your faccination details (have not been in a restaurant for a while) but the last time I dined out had to show nothing.

For a couple of weeks we had to show our vaccination status when we bought alcohol in a bottle shop but no more now. I never ever seen a temperature testing anywhere not in shops or pubs nowhere.

I feel sorry for people living in Thailand