Thai film crews are sought after across the world, why then do Thai films lag so far behind?

webfact

So if a Plumber is competent he must be able to Design & Build a Mansion or Resort or a Paint Producer create a Masterpiece Oil Painting ? Hard technician skills are obviously irrelevant to the essential creative soft skills in producing great movies which are works of art …..????

On 2/13/2022 at 9:41 PM, spidermike007 said:

Thailand does actually possess some film talent, and they have made some good films in the past, and many foreign films have been done here, using local talent. I have no idea why there are not more films made, that are finer quality, and artistic. Not referring to the junk that is churned out, but the more serious films. Not enough of an audience for the work?

Talking to one person in the industry a few years back it came down to financing.  They might only need 10% of what it would cost in (say) the US to start production, but the failure rate is high, and the marketing costs are still going to be on-par with the US.  In the end, the movie only ends up being ~20% cheaper risk-adjusted.  Add to that the star appeal driving movies and you end up with a tough sell.

11 hours ago, tjo o tjim said:

Talking to one person in the industry a few years back it came down to financing.  They might only need 10% of what it would cost in (say) the US to start production, but the failure rate is high, and the marketing costs are still going to be on-par with the US.  In the end, the movie only ends up being ~20% cheaper risk-adjusted.  Add to that the star appeal driving movies and you end up with a tough sell.

Seems to be the case. Though I do enjoy some foreign films that are made here, with mostly Thai crews. In particular Only God Forgives. It was a NWR (Nicolas Winding Refn) film, which most people either hate or love. I happen to enjoy his films alot, as they are offbeat, moody, very atmospheric, and have this forlorn, dark, somber quality to them. And just the scenes with Vithaya Pansringarm, the superb Thai actor, who played a very violent, and ruthless Thai cop named Chang, made the film worth seeing. 

vithaya_pansringarm_chang_asian_sword_guy_only_god_forgives.jpg

81OBLq40ucL._SL1417_.jpg

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 1

On 2/14/2022 at 10:49 PM, BayArea said:

Bang Rajan

The Legend of Naresuan Pat. 1 and 2

The Legend of Suriyothai

I believe their historical movies are their best work.

They were pretty awful.
I'd say Thai's are quite good at horror.
Slice and Shutter to name two.