Can you give me sugestion on my situation?.

Unix000

Hi everyone,

so currently I am in Bangkok, and my plan is that i will be coming again around October with Education visa and i will stay here 6 month.

So next time I come i want to get Thai driver licence for motorbike and car and I want to buy motorobike ( already have licence in my country for car and motorbike I have internation driver licence too. )

My question is i already read that is possible get thai driver licence with ED visa, but what about certificate of residency can my thai gf give me that because she is owner of condo we live in? I somewhere even read dont need that certificate of residence that TM30 is enough?

This is all question i have for thai driver licence.

So about buying new bike.

What is required document that i need to have for buy bike as I am here at ED visa ( dont have work permit dont know if this is important ). Or maybe is better idea motobike be on my gf name because its easy to deal with all paperwok?.

PS. I am sorry newbie here, just want to get some sugestion so I dont make any mistake.

No hard feelings.

Thank you everyone for help.

You will need a certificate of residency for both registering the bike and the drivers license.  There is currently a long queue to get a license at the DLT I went to in Bangkok last month.  I’m scheduled 4 months out to renew my license.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

@Unix000

1. If your girlfriend is the owner, just have her type/prepare a Thai document that looks like a rental agreement between you and her for 6 or 12 months. Your name , passport and address must be clearly stated.

2. This is required for you to get the residence certificate from immigration which will take 1 day to 1 month depending on which city. (1 month free but 1 day pay money $$$)

3. The residence cert is required to get both driving licence and to buy a bike. You need to apply for two original copies.

Edited by EricTh
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, EricTh said:

What? How long is the whole process from application date?

I converted my home country driving licence in just 1 day.

Then after 2 years, I renewed my 5 year licence in just a few hours in Chiang Mai. 

It only took me a day (actually about 4 hours) to get my drivers license the first time.  I went to the DLT (near BTS Bang Chak) in the middle of January to renew the registration sticker on my car and my drivers license.  The car was only an hour or so but when I went to the desk to start the drivers license process, I was told that there was a queue and the earliest date that they scheduled me for was mid May.  Crazy, but it is what it is.

Edited by Airalee
  • Like 1

In Bangkok, you need to have done your first 90 days report before you can ask for a residency certificate from immigration. Your embassy might or might not be willing and able to provide you with a residency certificate before.

Your GF can (or needs to) provide supporting documents, but cannot issue the certificate herself. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Airalee said:

You will need a certificate of residency for both registering the bike and the drivers license.  There is currently a long queue to get a license at the DLT I went to in Bangkok last month.  I’m scheduled 4 months out to renew my license.

I went there two weeks ago and they checked my documents and invited me back 1 week later, i now have my renewed license. Maybe new licenses are different.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, BangkokAlan said:

I went there two weeks ago and they checked my documents and invited me back 1 week later, i now have my renewed license. Maybe new licenses are different.

Mine is for a renewal also (not a new license).  You definitely got lucky with the timing.  I have no idea why they scheduled me so far out (and I was the 2nd to last name on the sign in sheet for that date).  Just goes to show how sometimes, things just don’t make sense here.  Glad to hear you were able to get sorted in a more timely manner.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Airalee said:

Mine is for a renewal also (not a new license).  You definitely got lucky with the timing.  I have no idea why they scheduled me so far out (and I was the 2nd to last name on the sign in sheet for that date).  Just goes to show how sometimes, things just don’t make sense here.  Glad to hear you were able to get sorted in a more timely manner.

I suggest you go back it may well be that you went just as they had reopened for foreign applicants. They only accept around 35 applications a day but on the day I went there was about 25 you have to go early as they open at 8am and close as soon as 30 are processed at which point if you are approved you are given a date to return.  Everyone was given options within a week, after they check documents they showed me a three three day calendar and asked me to choose a time. When I returned one week later i was in and out in about 40 minutes.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, giddyup said:
On 2/15/2022 at 3:32 PM, big dendrobenaes said:

get an agent to do it for you

Can an agent do the colour and brake tests as well?

No... But the agent apparently prevents you from being a mug and a hero by doing something easy on your own !!! :whistling:

Its very easy to do on your own (make sure you have the correct documents) IF the DLT quote a long waiting list make up some sob story that the police told you to get it etc...   Otherwise, retreat and then perhaps get an agent - I’m not sure of the cost of an agent, but I recall reading about 3000 baht.

Even with an agent you still have to be there - the only advantage is an agent offers some queue jumping and hand-holding. 

On 2/15/2022 at 5:47 PM, The Hammer2021 said:

To get a license It's all very easy to do. All easier using an agent to translate, facilitate and collate.

Bring an IDP with you. Do not be a mug. Do not be a hero and do all the running around yourself..

On 2/16/2022 at 3:07 AM, BangkokAlan said:
On 2/15/2022 at 6:23 PM, Airalee said:

I suggest you go back it may well be that you went just as they had reopened for foreign applicants. They only accept around 35 applications a day but on the day I went there was about 25 you have to go early as they open at 8am and close as soon as 30 are processed at which point if you are approved you are given a date to return.  Everyone was given options within a week, after they check documents they showed me a three three day calendar and asked me to choose a time. When I returned one week later i was in and out in about 40 minutes.

The issue with things like this in Thailand is that there is no rigid process, things frequently change, rules are interpreted differently buy different officers in different offices in different provinces etc...  

Consequently people end up argueing because they have encountered a different process - the reality is it is both possible to renew your licence by turning up and it is not possible to renew your licence by simply turning up, you will have to book a slot months in advance, you can turn up and book a slot a week in advance...  Its all happened - The Op will never know for sure until he turns up at the DLT and tries it, he may get lucky he may not... thats about the only consistency we can hope for with these things in Thailand. 

• Like 1