Danish couple quit their jobs and now lives as digital nomads in Thailand

webfact

7 hours ago, sqwakvfr said:

I have asked for years to those who self identify as “Digital Nomads, Online Entrepreneurs” etc what exactly do you do?  I have never heard a clear explanation.  I went to “Camp” which is located in CNX and is one of the popular places for “Digital Nomads” and saw several of them watching videos on their laptops.  

Exactly. We, the remote workers, are: "programmers", "administrators", "designers", even "Youtubers" or "Tiktokers", but when a person is just a "digital nomad" it means that they do nothing but watch self-development or "how to start a multi-million business" videos all the day.

39 minutes ago, Henryford said:

OK i can see if you are a full time writer or photographer but any technical knowledge would soon get out of date.

That's one of the things I dislike in IT (well, I'm talking about "real" IT, not designing or copywriting work) - you have to learn 24/7 somehow finding extra time for the work, and the more you work the less you learn, and the less you learn the less work you'll have. I hope to retire around 40 y.o. to end that vicious cycle.

41 minutes ago, Henryford said:

What happens when they hit 40 with no house, pension or job?

My pension fund consists of 10+ various cryptocurrencies, and my knowledge and experience will find me a job even after 40 (but I hope I won't need it)

22 hours ago, dj230 said:

I think this will become the norm soon, im in my mid 20's, moved to Thailand and make all my income online, more than enough to support my living in Thailand. 

Don't forget your 90-day reporting, renew your Thai work permit in a timely fashion and pay your Thai personal income taxes... lest you want to risk your bubble to pop.

7 hours ago, thaibreaker said:

May I ask what kind of visa you are on? I am always amazed by the amount of people who think it's a peace of cake to just "live" in Thailand, being under 50 years old.

That was my first thought reading this story too.

Thailand is not just handing out visas. You are allowed to stay there until one day, you're not anymore.

Been there, done that.

Are you on an Elite Visa? Renewable every 6th or 11th year?

That's one solution, but a quite expensive one.

I wonder how the Danish couple solves this too.

Visa exempt + covid extension

plenty of ways to stay, once covid extensions run out, I may take a trip back to Canada for a bit, have some things to do (banking/accounting/taxes). 

but if I decide to stay i can get a marriage visa

the new 10 year visa “digital nomad” seems intriguing, will see if that gets approved/released and how to apply 

I do agree though, much easier over 50

id never pay for an elite visa 

2 hours ago, Misterwhisper said:

Don't forget your 90-day reporting, renew your Thai work permit in a timely fashion and pay your Thai personal income taxes... lest you want to risk your bubble to pop.

You don’t need to have a work permit for the type of income I have which is mostly interest from investments. I don’t work for any company in Thailand and I havnt stayed long enough to have to pay taxes in Thailand either. But it would actually be beneficial to me as income tax in Thailand is less than in Canada 

13 hours ago, Jimbo53 said:

Why the interest? They can stay as long as their visa lets them! It's their prerogative!

I don't think there will be any running involved,and i am sure the last thing on their mind is your curiosity  of the length of their stay!

You need to get out a bit more!

Seeing as how they are the posterchild(ren) for Thailand's new nomad push, I'd say it's relevant. It wouldn't be a good look for Thailand if they move on too quickly. The once multifaceted tourism attractions have lost quite a few facets, which usually means a faster track to boredom and itchy feet to move on to the next frontier.

I get out well enough, thank you Jimbo????

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 2/17/2022 at 7:13 AM, johnnybangkok said:

Spoken like a true Boomer.

Work/life balance is a HUGE thing now, with forward thinking employers embracing the concept. I currently have 10 people working remotely (and plan on hiring another 10 soon). Some are part-time, some also have a second job but all are working from home. Technology today means all you need is a laptop and a mobile phone and you can conduct large swathes of business from anywhere you choose. This couple are obviously tech orientated so why not sit on a beach rather than a freezing cold Danish town?

Monday to Friday 9- 5 is rapidly becoming a concept of the past; the future is work when you want and where you want and as long as the job gets done, what does it matter? 

I'm tired of working in an office.  I'd rather work from home in Thailand with my family close by.  Time is a commodity we never get back.  I wish them luck.

• Like 2

Guy on a minibus Bkk->Pattaya (years back) telling me he was a software engineer doing the digital nomad thing, and how life is great: he can sit on the beach drinking screwdrivers while working.  Gotta wonder about the quality of the stuff he produces.  I didn't tell him that though, as he would certainly have a witty retort. 

But he was an all-around schmuck.  There were these 2 young fellows on the ride and he started giving them advice they didn't ask for about dealing with the ladies, clubs and barfines of Pattaya.  The joke was they were obviously a gay couple, but he didn't realize it even while they were not responding to his sage advice.

A memorable character.

• Haha 1

On 2/18/2022 at 12:36 AM, thaibreaker said:

May I ask what kind of visa you are on? I am always amazed by the amount of people who think it's a peace of cake to just "live" in Thailand, being under 50 years old.

It is quite fashionable here on Thai Visa to grumble about visa difficulties; it is human nature and I have done so in the past myself.

But let's not loose sight of the fact completely, that it is actually not truly too difficult to get a tourist or business visa to stay here. As I came here at the end of the 90s, nobody even thought about work permits -- they certainly were required then as well, of course. But when I knew after a few months that I would surely stay, rectifying this with the proper investment was not such a big hurdle.

These two young people already only plan to stay here for a short few weeks before moving on, so more power to them if they can earn a little bit while they are here. I certainly do not begrudge them this, even if -- god forbid! -- Thailand looses out on a little bit of tax.

I am not for tax dodging under all circumstances (tax rates here in Germany are truly sky-high and I pay up as I must, as it is my belief that society will not work properly without it). However, these two are just passing through, they are hurting nobody and they spend money on top of it. And Thailand could certainly make the effort to create rules to handle such work with a proper visa structure, which for some reason or other is beyond their ability.

From many posts in this thread I get a gamut of emotions, but with a really large number of posts with wagging fingers, instead of a 'live and let live' attitude. I think we should rather commend people who make an effort to live their lives a little bit more adventurous and who spend some time outside of their comfort zone instead of betraying ourselves to be a bunch of old, dull sourdrops.

If their adventure goes well or not, they will gain very valuable lessons. And I feel, if we would be more generous in our opinions, instead of being puritans and legalists, this world would really be a better place to live in.

Sorry, rant over.

Edited by jts-khorat
typo
  • Like 2

Given that there is NO long-term visa options for these people. In reality they are just short stay tourists with laptops. They are no more digital nomads, than any other tourist with a smartphone or laptop.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jts-khorat said:

It is quite fashionable here on Thai Visa to grumble about visa difficulties; it is human nature and I have done so in the past myself.

But let's not loose sight of the fact completely, that it is actually not truly too difficult to get a tourist or business visa to stay here. As I came here at the end of the 90s, nobody even thought about work permits -- they certainly were required then as well, of course. But when I knew after a few months that I would surely stay, rectifying this with the proper investment was not such a big hurdle.

These two young people already only plan to stay here for a short few weeks before moving on, so more power to them if they can earn a little bit while they are here. I certainly do not begrudge them this, even if -- god forbid! -- Thailand looses out on a little bit of tax.

I am not for tax dodging under all circumstances (tax rates here in Germany are truly sky-high and I pay up as I must, as it is my belief that society will not work properly without it). However, these two are just passing through, they are hurting nobody and they spend money on top of it. And Thailand could certainly make the effort to create rules to handle such work with a proper visa structure, which for some reason or other is beyond their ability.

From many posts in this thread I get a gamut of emotions, but with a really large number of posts with wagging fingers, instead of a 'live and let live' attitude. I think we should rather commend people who make an effort to live their lives a little bit more adventurous and who spend some time outside of their comfort zone instead of betraying ourselves to be a bunch of old, dull sourdrops.

If their adventure goes well or not, they will gain very valuable lessons. And I feel, if we would be more generous in our opinions, instead of being puritans and legalists, this world would really be a better place to live in.

Sorry, rant over.

Jts, not a rant, a very fair comment,; you are correct in pointing out that some of the posts are more emotional than reasoned. I was guilty of that and fell for the trap of responding eagerly to the op. The op achieved its aim to create comment, however it did so by portraying a scenario that was misleading and even deceitful.

That remote working suits and is beneficial to some people and certain businesses is indisputable. Certainly IT, I was remote working 40 years ago (18k memory and a 300 baud rate down a landline!) and then worked from a home base for 11 years which was good in some respects, and here’s my point, it had its downside.

Yes I could work the hours that I wanted, take breaks midday to mow the lawn, hundreds of benefits. But that was working for an organisation. The next step and this is where it can become a problem, you become self employed. Great you can still make your own hours and if you’re disciplined (and it helps to have no one at home), but the phone calls start at 6AM and maybe don’t finish until 2AM.

Now you’re working under contract and obviously you can only be selective up to a point. So my next contract was a 2 hour+ commute each way. This is where I was struggling with the op’s use of the phrase ‘more freedom’. If you don’t have a boss / owner, you’ll always have a customer.

Your ‘live and let live’ conclusion is 100% correct. It worked for me (28 years employed 26 years self employed) and  it can obviously work as the original op proposes in another country. I agree the tax/visa situation can be resolved but maybe only for a period of time and not to be confused with being on a carefree holiday.

• Like 1

On 2/17/2022 at 9:54 AM, webfact said:

Danish couple quit their jobs and now lives as digital nomads in Thailand

digital nomads which means that they work digitally on assignments from Denmark. 

So they quit their jobs but have jobs as digital nomads, career change I assume!!!!!!! ????

Strange headline, it should read something like.... they still have jobs but have a new career as..... 

Digital Nomads....... a person who earns a living working online in various locations. 

Anyway, feel sorry for them, living in Thailand and having to work, I couldn't think of anything worse. 

I've said this before, Thailand is for relaxation, recreation, sun and fun, bars and beaches.

Not working. ????

I see foreigners around Pattaya at times wearing long pants, collar shirt and tie...... you got to be kidding me. 

I've worked in Thailand over the years but it was offshore, no temptation, just 12 hour shifts surrounded by ocean. 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/18/2022 at 2:08 PM, cncltd1973 said:

Seeing as how they are the posterchild(ren) for Thailand's new nomad push, I'd say it's relevant. It wouldn't be a good look for Thailand if they move on too quickly. The once multifaceted tourism attractions have lost quite a few facets, which usually means a faster track to boredom and itchy feet to move on to the next frontier.

I get out well enough, thank you Jimbo????

Do think the Red Bull Posterchild has been a good look for Thailand,they do ok shooting themselves in the foot,there is nothing wrong with DN's,they are contributing to the Thai economy for whatever time they remain in country..End Of!