Thai Elite Visa Accepted At Land Border Crossings?

Greetings AN readers,

Can anyone tell me if a Thai Elite Visa is recognized at land border crossings as well as airports? I'm getting mixed messages from the TEV folks about this question, so my apologies in advance for what is a puzzling question. Ex: If we have a TEV in our passport, and we want to take the train from Singapore to Bangkok, will our TEV NOT be accepted at the Padang Besar Thai Immigration Office when we re-enter Thailand via train from Malaysia?

If this is the case, what do people with TEVs do for entry visas when they return to Thailand overland (not by plane) from Malaysia/Laos/Myanmar/Cambodia? My apologies for this weird question, but I'm not clear on visa options if the TEV is not accepted at Thai land-border immigration offices. 
(US (me) and Malaysia (my wife) passport holders for reference) 

Many thanks for any clarity I can get on this question. 

Trainman

Tough question, You mean before, now or after covid?

All the benefits is due to arrival at Thailands International Airports as far I know, but sure you can travel across the borders when they reopen for tourist traffic. 

After you obtained Elite membership, the visa needs to be affixed  in the passport. Respective immigration offices are limited, e.g. Suvarnabhumi or Chaengwattana.  Elite visa cannot be affixed at land border crossings. Once the Elite visa is affixed, it works like any other valid visa.

• Like 1

Assuming that you are already on an Elite visa, here is my experience:

5-6 years ago, I agreed to join friends for a "fun" weekend" in Poipet. It was not fun and I don't recommend anyone to go there, but that's not the point.

I was on Elite at that time and when I went to immigration back to Thailand, the IO at the desk was scratching his head. He had never seen that visa. I tried to explain as best as I could but he was very confused. He called a female manager and she was puzzled as well. They listened to me but had to be sure. She went to find a book (with handwritten instructions I guessed) and went through the pages. They found something relevant but were thinking they had to give me 90 days only. I kept telling them it was a 1 year permit of stay and so the manager made a phone call. 5 minutes later she came back and I got my 1 year. They were very friendly and polite, but just clueless.

So, you might encounter the same problems. But ultimately it will be ok. In case they are not sure what to do, my advice is to just call Elite and ask them to talk to IOs if possible. And make sure you get 1 year.

Good luck.

• Like 2

Even at Suvarnabhum,  immigration officers may not be familiar with the Elite visa. Fortunately, my wife could pick up the suitcases from the belt while the IO was studying the rules for quite some time. He did not ask a colleague, probably afraid to loose face. Maybe Elite's transfer service would help.

40 minutes ago, Klonko said:

Even at Suvarnabhum,  immigration officers may not be familiar with the Elite visa. Fortunately, my wife could pick up the suitcases from the belt while the IO was studying the rules for quite some time. He did not ask a colleague, probably afraid to loose face. Maybe Elite's transfer service would help.

Don't you have access to Elite personnel at the airport to help you, despite your membership?

Don't you have access to Elite personnel at the airport to help you, despite your membership?

You have to book transfer service  in advance, but I deemed it not necessary last September given low traffic.

P.s. could somebody please explain to me how to quote other posts. I am too stupid.

Edited by Klonko

5 hours ago, Klonko said:

P.s. could somebody please explain to me how to quote other posts. I am too stupid.

Click this at the bottom left corner of a post you want to quote. image.png.6327c2d477a1c66dee4006c9e7046ee5.png

The + beside it allows you to quote multiple posts.

8 hours ago, Klonko said:

P.s. could somebody please explain to me how to quote other posts

In addition to the quote bottom left.....

If you just want to quote part of a post......just as I have done with snippet of your post.

Hold finger at last word you wish to quote and trace up to where you want to start section you wish to  quote. 

Options will appear on screen, such as copy, quote etc.

I just did that for my post.

See screenshot. 

Screenshot_20220218-105409.jpg

16 hours ago, Klonko said:

After you obtained Elite membership, the visa needs to be affixed  in the passport. Respective immigration offices are limited, e.g. Suvarnabhumi or Chaengwattana.  Elite visa cannot be affixed at land border crossings. Once the Elite visa is affixed, it works like any other valid visa.

Does the holder need to have an exit/re-entry stamp when leaving/returning to Thailand?

3 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Does the holder need to have an exit/re-entry stamp when leaving/returning to Thailand?

No

It is a multiple entry visa that allows a new one year permit to stay every time it is used to enter the country.

16 hours ago, Hummin said:

Tough question, You mean before, now or after covid?

All the benefits is due to arrival at Thailands International Airports as far I know, but sure you can travel across the borders when they reopen for tourist traffic. 

They will roll out the red carpet if he's got 32 million!!!