Non O via based on marriage in Singapore?

The problem could be entering Singapore. Do some research.

Also check with them about their current requirments are look here on their website. https://www.thaiembassy.sg/visa-matters-/-consular/instructions-for-visa-application

Probably easier to get one at the embassy in Phnom Penh Cambodia. I aware of a person getting a non-o visa there recently. See: https://phnompenh.thaiembassy.org/en/publicservice/non-immigrant-o-visa-thai-family?page=5d73b14415e39c46f40076a1&menu=5d73b14415e39c46f40076a2

Edit: I missed that you want a multiple entry non-o visa that is valid for a year. I don't think you will be able to get one at any nearby location at this time. Later maybe in Vietnam, Malaysia or Laos.

Edited by ubonjoe
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, gerrytraveller said:

Joe. Please fill me in. I thought "O" visas were issued in Thailand and OA outside Thailand.

For a non-o visa based upon marriage they can be applied for at a Thai embassy or consulate or at immigration.

For retirement s some embassies and consulate will issue a non-o visa or it can be done at immigration.

I think you are confusing extensions of stay and visas.

29 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

But why would anybody apply for one if they did not intend to apply for an extension.

Lots of paperwork and etc to apply for one.

90 day permission of stay.

If over 50 enter on tourist visa 

Obtain 30 day extension.

Obtain 90 day non O.

Total 6 months. No requirement to exit Thailand. 

Small snag 800k in bank on day of application for non O. Minor issue for some.

Edited by DrJack54

23 minutes ago, gerrytraveller said:

. Immigration or Thai embassy in Australia. Question.

Oz embassies Sydney and Canberra are very helpful. Many post positive experience. 

I'm somewhat confused with STV.

Can you obtain a non O in Thailand having a STV? 

I thought not.

UJ will clear that up.

ps: OP, I've been looking at same trip BKK to Melb return.

Jetstar have had "sales" seriously cheap direct flights

Edited by DrJack54

30 minutes ago, gerrytraveller said:

Thanks to Joe and others. This leaves me 2 options for my O visa based on marriage.. Immigration or Thai embassy in Australia. Question.. how easy is the Thai embassy in Oz??

You will not be able to apply for a non-o visa at immigration if you entered with a STV. The rules stats it cannot be changed to a different visa.

You can apply at the Thai embassy in Canberra or the official consulate in Sydney for a multiple entry non-o visa.

Info on embassy webiste. https://canberra.thaiembassy.org/non-immigrant-visa-category-o/

1 hour ago, sikishrory said:

Looks like nobody is getting non o's there.

I will report back with how it goes.

You can get a single entry non-o visa based upon marriage to a Thai at the embassy or consulate. They may not be not issuing multiple entry non-o visa at this time.

I recently (February 4 2022) emailed the Thai consulate in Phnom Phen to ask if they were issuing multi entry non O visas based on marriage to Thai.

This the consulate's reply to my email:

Multiple entry visa applications are considered on a case-by-case basis at the discretion of the consular officer. Usually, applicants should show that they have already entered Thailand using non-Immigrant visas in the past and has no history of overstays or other criminal records during their previous stays. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I'm leaving on Tuesday for this.

None of this is being organised by me but the person organising is arranging my covid test in bangkok. This is the covid test results I will be using to reenter Thailand on Wednesday.

Are you allowed to get your covid test to enter Thailand done in Thailand before you leave?

I will be getting 30 day visa exempt entry them extending by the way. 

On 2/20/2022 at 6:15 AM, MajorTom said:

IF your home country's Thai embassy issues e-visas, it could be possible to apply there. Then just go to Singapore/Cambodia etc. and return to activate it. That way you are also more likely to get a multiple entry non-o.

This is interesting.

I've been getting multi Non-o's for some years, travelling to Savannakhet for years to re-apply for my visa, I quite liked the trip, but obviously in recent years that's been difficult, so I've been getting covid extensions, however, I would much prefer to get a solid visa to reduce my stress levels, could this be my opportunity?

I'm married to a Thai National(we have a child together but that's irrelevant here, I think...), I don't have the 400 or 800k in my bank, so could I successfully apply for a Non-Immigrant 'O' Multiple Entry visa via the evisa portal?

6 hours ago, MaiDong said:

I'm married to a Thai National(we have a child together but that's irrelevant here, I think...), I don't have the 400 or 800k in my bank, so could I successfully apply for a Non-Immigrant 'O' Multiple Entry visa via the evisa portal?

It worked for me. I was issued a multiple Non-O from the Thai Embassy in my passport country. Then I went to Cambodia for a few days and returned to activate it.

However, the e-visa site asks for "Financial evidence". It does not say how much you need to qualify though..?

Note that you need a passport from a country where the Thai embassy issues e-visas. This is mainly done only in Europe and the US for now afaik.

20 hours ago, MajorTom said:

It worked for me. I was issued a multiple Non-O from the Thai Embassy in my passport country. Then I went to Cambodia for a few days and returned to activate it.

However, the e-visa site asks for "Financial evidence". It does not say how much you need to qualify though..?

Note that you need a passport from a country where the Thai embassy issues e-visas. This is mainly done only in Europe and the US for now afaik.

For the financial evidence, I assume you uploaded proof of funds in your bank at approx. 400k or above? I mean, if I showed them my bank statement with less than 400k I would assume they'd refuse the multi and give me the single instead...

And yes, I'm British(embarrassingly), so in theory the evisa will work for me.

On 2/18/2022 at 8:07 PM, DrJack54 said:

90 day permission of stay.

If over 50 enter on tourist visa 

Obtain 30 day extension.

Obtain 90 day non O.

Total 6 months. No requirement to exit Thailand. 

Small snag 800k in bank on day of application for non O. Minor issue for some.

This gave me an idea of staying 6-months in Thailand If I don't want to apply for an extension, I can keep on spending from the 800K money pot and let's say I spent 400K and go back to USA after 6-months. Comeback the following year with another TV and repeat the process after filling up the pot. How much do the agents charge only for O-visa without money? I'm planning for a 6-month stay every year. Pre-covid and before they imposed insurance requirements, I used to get O-A from USA every two years. During the Covid-19, I got extensions twice stayed two years in Thailand and now back in the US. Planning for a visit in May-July time frame for 6-months every year from now on again. 

Edited by Onerak

12 minutes ago, Onerak said:

How much do the agents charge only for O-visa without money?

For a non O obtained in Thailand using an agent would cost 15k (for argument sake).

It's an option however you have many options. 

6 month stay is doable using many paths. 

Can be enter TV and do a border bounce (borders will eventually open) 

Dont discount METV every year.

Many ways to visit Thailand for 6 months every year. 

Your previous path of non O-A was good. Not so much now imo.

1 hour ago, MaiDong said:

For the financial evidence, I assume you uploaded proof of funds in your bank at approx. 400k or above? I mean, if I showed them my bank statement with less than 400k I would assume they'd refuse the multi and give me the single instead...

And yes, I'm British(embarrassingly), so in theory the evisa will work for me.

The embassy in London will accept the equivalent of 20k baht for financial proof but they do not issue multiple entry non-o visas. 

Every embassy or official consulate can have their own rules for the e visa website applications.

The Thai embassy and the 3 official consulates will issue a multiple entry non-o visa based upon marriage with 20k baht or $700 in the bank.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

The embassy in London will accept the equivalent of 20k baht for financial proof but they do not issue multiple entry non-o visas. 

Every embassy or official consulate can have their own rules for the e visa website applications.

The Thai embassy and the 3 official consulates will issue a multiple entry non-o visa based upon marriage with 20k baht or $700 in the bank.

That's interesting too, so the option on their website is an error? See screenshot below¬

Also, is THB20k or US$700 in my UK bank sufficient? Or does it need to be in a Thai bank account in my name?

1089845730_Screenshot(1407).png.55754239f334217f6f795d8181705091.png

20 minutes ago, MaiDong said:

That's interesting too, so the option on their website is an error? See screenshot below¬

You could try applying for the a multiple entry visa but it might be denied.l

20 minutes ago, MaiDong said:

Also, is THB20k or US$700 in my UK bank sufficient? Or does it need to be in a Thai bank account in my name?

It would only need to be the equivalent of 20k baht in any currency. If I recall correctly London was requiring 1000 pounds at one time but not sure what their exchange rate is at this time. At the exchange rate here today that would be about 500 pounds.

9 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You could try applying for the a multiple entry visa but it might be denied.l

It would only need to be the equivalent of 20k baht in any currency. If I recall correctly London was requiring 1000 pounds at one time but not sure what their exchange rate is at this time. At the exchange rate here today that would be about 500 pounds.

Thanks Joe! Always appreciated ????

On 2/20/2022 at 12:34 PM, gerrytraveller said:

Apart from the 400k/800k difference in "o" based on marriage vs "based on retirement are there any other differences/advantages etc?

Yes - the 'marriage extension' requires a LOT more paperwork than the 'retirement' extension.  A LOT !!

Also, In my limited experience in doing a 'retirement extension once' and doing a 'marriage extension once' is that the retirement extension is approved MUCH faster.  In Phuket my 'retirement extension' was very quick (less than a week for approval).   However in Phuket the 'marriage extension' took over a month to be approved.     In my case for the 'marriage extension' I had to go back to immigration a second time, to give them copies a document they mistakenly initially did not keep. I only live 10-minute car drive from Phuket immigration so time for me is not an issue.  But if immigration is hours away by car, then extra time traveling associated with an extra (unexpected) immigration visit could be an issue.

If it were me, on a type-O visa extension, I would go for 'retirement' (as the money required to be in the bank is not an issue).  

I only went for 'marriage extension' because I am on a type-OA visa, where unlike Type-O the Type-OA requires one buy health insurance from an approved Thai list. I already have superior Health Insurance from Europe that covers both my Thai wife and myself, but its not on the Thai list.   I did not want to purchase needless double Health Insurance  and I did not want to give up that superior European health insurance.  I also did not want to leave Thailand at this time, so I changed from 'retirement' extension to a 'marriage extension'.

12 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

6 month stay is doable using many paths. 

Can be enter TV and do a border bounce (borders will eventually open) 

Dont discount METV every year.

Many ways to visit Thailand for 6 months every year. 

Your previous path of non O-A was good. Not so much now imo.

Border bounce is a hassle like to avoid. METV too much paper works. 15K is only 2.5K per month. or a megre $75/month. Not a bad options. Will look into different possibilities but not border bounce definitely. 

2 hours ago, Onerak said:

I did not see an METV option in e-Visa website (with USA passport). Was interested in document requirements. 

The e visa site is a little confusing to say the least. The requirements appear after you start the application for the METV.

The requirements are here on the embassy website. https://thaiembdc.org/2021/05/13/metv/

There may be some variations on the 3 official consulate websites and the one you apply to depends upon where you are staying in states.