Building a new house in Isaan

Encid

Amzing your bid was 1.8 mil or less than 50k USD for all that work.  A  decent retaining wall here in Utah could cost half that.  

I enjoyed your light on pictures above.  

Do tiu mean the brand of fittings American standard or just all the good ones sold here   like kohler, delta, moen. 

Dont get grohe I've had issues with our 20 yr old expensive kitchen faucet and their lifetime warranty isnt honored. 

On 2/7/2024 at 9:42 PM, Elkski said:

Amzing your bid was 1.8 mil or less than 50k USD for all that work.  A  decent retaining wall here in Utah could cost half that.  

Perhaps I should clarify... the house structure itself cost 1.8 million to build (which was the question asked by stupidfarang).

That price also excluded supply of sanitary ware, kitchen appliances, counter tops for kitchens and bathroom, water tank and filters and pump, water heater and shower, floor and wall tiles (internal and external), ceiling insulation, external cladding, and external solar lighting.

The infrastructure (land fill, retaining wall, electricity supply, raw water well + solar pump, raw water storage tanks and pump, access road + spoon drain, electric gate etc.) cost extra.

On 2/7/2024 at 9:42 PM, Elkski said:

Do tiu mean the brand of fittings American standard or just all the good ones sold here   like kohler, delta, moen. 

Dont get grohe I've had issues with our 20 yr old expensive kitchen faucet and their lifetime warranty isnt honored. 

Yes, I meant the brand "American Standard".

Funny that you should mention "Grohe" sanitary ware... we have them in our current house in Najomtien (built 15 years ago) and they are still working well with no issues at all.

The water supply must be clean (preferably filtered) and you should check that the faucet filters and supply hoses are regularly cleaned or maintained.

We found problem areas in our plumbing when our water pressure dropped over time... we tracked it down to the use of galvanized fittings corroding in the water supply lines where they were mated with PVC or PPR pipe and stainless steel fittings/hoses... galvanic corrosion across dissimilar metals resulted in a build-up of a rusty sludge that clogged the pipework and the filters in the faucets and shower hoses.

Something to watch out for... :cool:

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes Grohe is supposed to be a high quality brand.  Its sold as a expensive exclusive brand here at the fancy showroom stores.  The imbedded rubber gasket on the ceramic cartrige just disolved after 20 years on our kitchen faucet. It clogged the fkow restrictor and wand.  In the past when the rubber boot on the wand got old they sent s new head for free.  4 months ago we needed another.   This is now considered a wear part.   Luckily there are aftermarket parts that look identical for 1/3 the price. 

I did install that brand in a steam shower and it is wirking fine.  But just the temp valve was 28000 baht.  Not including face plate style or handle.  

It is amazing you got all that work done for under 2 mil baht.  

If I recall correctly this will be the guest house after you finish the main house?  Is that still the plan? 

On 2/19/2022 at 10:27 AM, Encid said:

I am going through the process of planning a new house build on my wife's farm land up country.

I have already prepared plans and elevations of our preferred house design in AutoCAD and am currently fine tuning details. The land is currently being filled and raised approx. 1.5 metres above original level. I anticipate leaving it to rest and bed down for the remainder of the year, and start construction in January next year.

I want this to be a reasonably passive house, so double glazed uPVC windows and sliding doors are being considered. An on-grid hybrid solar system will be added once construction is complete.

I am considering the following components for the external walls: Q-CON AAC (Autoclaved Aerated Concrete) blocks (150mm thk),

1048200424_Q-CONAACBlocks.JPG.4176c36b804534404e7ac6038b375fd4.JPG

with an SCG Heat Reflector sheet lining,

542171808_SCGHeatReflector.JPG.e7552f294c8a22b89280992b4175c3ed.JPG

with 50mm thk fire retardant grade polystyrene sheets,

871066885_Polystyrenesheet.JPG.f72619575b7c8904e11a526e26465aa6.JPG

then 8mm thk SCG Smartboard drywall. The polystyrene sheets will fit between the galvanized frame members.

2017844251_SCGSmartboardDrywallInstallation.JPG.eb702eea500bf21da9384b9d37112f74.JPG

Cement rendering followed by paint on the outside, and just a painted finish on the inside.

What do you think?

Hi I've had one built in Issan near undon thani on my families farm the only regret is I didn't do it double skinned but used bricks not concrete blocks . I will be getting solar panels installed by myself at some point as I can mount them on the vast piece of land that are plot is purely for the aircon. The builder I used built my sister in laws house and factory and on the whole very good . I also checked out his other builds and they were good .

It's important that you get a proper company. It costs a bit extra but piece of mind is worth it

19 hours ago, Elkski said:

If I recall correctly this will be the guest house after you finish the main house?  Is that still the plan? 

Yes, that is the plan.

We need to sell our existing house in Najomtien first so I have enough spare cash to build the main house without having to dip into retirement savings.

We will live in the Guest House whilst the Main House is being built, and I will be able to have daily surveillance of the work.

• Thumbs Up 1