Are Pharmaceutical companies criminals

peter zwart

I already suspected that the pharmaceutical world considers making money more important than the health of the users of their products. Now I came across an article about baby powder. And there will no doubt be/are more things going on. Are we to gradually conclude that pharmaceutical companies are criminal organizations?
https://www.npr.org/2021/10/21/1047828535/baby-powder-cancer-johnson-johnson-bankruptcy

• Like 2

talk itself is suspected in causing cancer.

best to be avoided.

That I read sometimes 20 years  ago.

Thai population is overusing talk. It suppose to be for nappy skin rush, for baby bottoms.

Not for sensitive, thin skin on face, intimate parts, underarms and the whole body.

Edited by internationalism
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, peter zwart said:

Now I came across an article about baby powder. And there will no doubt be/are more things going on. Are we to gradually conclude that pharmaceutical companies are criminal organizations?

If and I repeat if a company knowingly produces and sells a product it knows is harmful then the "executives" who did so are criminally guilty. 
However history is replete with examples of companies innocently producing products and pharmaceuticals that later were found to have harmful effects. 

Take today as an example, we are rushing to vaccinate everyone with Covid vaccines to "protect them"  If 30 years from now there is a medical condition that is correlated to taking that vaccine are the companies criminal?  No I don't think so.  

I find the baby powder and J&J nothing more than ambulance chasing by attorney's.  Baby powder has been used for decades with no adverse effects.  Additionally, how can anyone attribute their cancer solely to the use of baby powder.  First, how can a cancer victim "prove" that they ever used baby powder.  Second, how can the victim "prove" that they did not use other chemicals, products, or foods, known to cause the identical cancer. 

Unfortunately in the USA it has become a sport for attorneys to seek out financially wealthy companies claim harm knowing that juries are predisposed to punishing the evil corporate world.  Often it is what is called Greenmailed.  Companies find it cheaper and less detrimental to their reputation just to hand over the money rather than fight in court. 

Finally, J&J along with all other companies has to submit its products for testing by the U.S. Food & Drug administration.  They ruled baby powder was safe.  So unless J&J had internal information that they concealed J&J should have been able to sell its baby powder with the seal of approval by the U.S. government.  

I view the J&J lawsuit not any different than the woman who spilled hot coffee on herself at McDonalds and sued because the coffee was hot and she won the lawsuit.  Strictly frivolous lawsuits that drive up the cost of products to pay the vultures in the legal profession. 

Depends if you are a stockholder, making huge ROI, or a person who can't afford their overpriced life saving medication ????

I personally would not invest in defense contractors, though did well with oil stocks, so not exactly morally pure ???? but damn profitable after bush 2 was elected and I retired, at the same time.  Also when I left the USA, as damn embarrassing to be a Yank in 2021, or being any NATO member country citizen.

Killing for $$$, it's not just Big Pharma.

26 minutes ago, Longwood50 said:

I view the J&J lawsuit not any different than the woman who spilled hot coffee on herself at McDonalds and sued because the coffee was hot and she won the lawsuit.  Strictly frivolous lawsuits that drive up the cost of products to pay the vultures in the legal profession. 

there was more to that story.

General Topics

A forum for general interest & discussion topics related to Thailand only and not covered by other sub forums. The General Forum is not a place for chit chat, banter, and daily life observations.

//CLOSED//