PCR Testing and Quarantine Hotel Scams

fgmr

Indonesian Authorities are quoted as undertaking investigations into alleged scams where travellers are advised of a positive PCR Test result, and being made to quarantine. The result being manipulated to ensure further hotel occupancy.

Is Thailand immune to this scam? What checks are there to ensure fidelity of the test results?

• Like 2

Given the degree of graft in Thailand there is always the possibility that this could occur, however, there really are not that many ‘arrivals’ testing positive in Test & Go to draw sufficient attention to the possibility of a scam. 

So no.. regardless of what the paranoid delusional Thai bashers say... there is no scam with the Test & Go.

What I do suspect is that the Labs are ‘rushing’ through samples to the point that some may not be tested at all. 

I know people who have tested ATK positive (with a further test to confirm) they are Covid-19 positive, yet an RT-PCR test result returned negative... In these examples I suspect that the PCR test was not actually carried out and the lab took a short cut (there is obviously no way of knowing for sure without them spending money on more PCR test). 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, fgmr said:

What checks are there to ensure fidelity of the test results?

<insert spit-take meme here>

None.

There's probably no overarching "scheme" here as that would require planning, coordination and successful execution. So this isn't a "bullet in the luggage" type scam.

Day 1 positives said to be 2 ~ 3 %, with Day 5 closer to 5%. Given all the extra work, and having to deal with peed-off customers, I can't see the real benefit in pumping the numbers.

38 minutes ago, fgmr said:

The result being manipulated to ensure further hotel occupancy.

Meh. Tourists gonna stay in hotel rooms anyway.

Now if you told me that a specific hotel was experiencing extremely high numbers I might want to investigate the testing house, and associated hospital just to make sure a few aren't pumping the numbers.

• Like 1