Foreign ex-pat riding a bicycle dies after being hit by a pickup truck driver in the Pattaya area

webfact

On 2/22/2022 at 8:00 AM, Nojohndoe said:

Has it already been confirmed the pickup driver was at fault ? Or is that a given because a farang/foreigner would never  be at fault ?

As much i dislike the Thai bashing on this forum, its absolutly true that the majority of the Thai drivers are absolutly dangerous and dont have any feeling of responsibility. 

2 hours ago, peter zwart said:

As much i dislike the Thai bashing on this forum, its absolutly true that the majority of the Thai drivers are absolutly dangerous and dont have any feeling of responsibility. 

Majority would mean more than half, so obviously an over estimate.  Agree, some, same worldwide, doen't seem to have a clue, and you have to wonder how they got pass 30 yrs old.

But I do find most drivers are quite good and even very courteous at times.  Barring the aggressive, 'coming thru mentality' of others.  Definitely in the minority though.

Watch youtube vids of 'idiots in cars' and it's obviously a worldwide issue of stupidity.  'Speed kills' is a reality, and most oops would be avoided if people simply drove the speed limit.

I racked up a lot of kms in Thailand, and things are actually much better than 10+ years ago.  Still shake my head every now & then, but most have a pretty good grasp on driving.  

A lot of the 'silliness' you see, is actually done 'safely',  that right hand turn from the far left lane, or driving against traffic (actually legal).  Something most of us wouldn't do in home country, as cited for it, and yes, enforcement is an issue.  But some unique driving actually helps the flow of traffic at times, and if done safely.  I don't have issue with, and even participate myself at times ... ????

I can make 2 U-turns and drive a couple kms to get back to my house from the park after my morning walk, or drive 100 meters against traffic, safely, to get to the same soi.  On my scooter, as wouldn't be safe in a car.  Not for everyone, but easily safely done, if a confident driver.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, peter zwart said:

That's a definite case of thai bashing, i ride 20k km a year and the majority of Thai drivers are ok

• Like 2

I ride my bicycle 2-3 times, a week. I admit I ride in the hard shoulder lane being as there is no cycle lanes out here in the sticks. My biggest problem is/are the motorcyclists with the side car attached. They think they have the right of way if they drive down the hard shoulder the wrong way if the turn they want is just behind me. They think I should move right into traffic coming from behind to allow them to pass on my inside. Anyways I've had enough and now I stop cycling and just sit in the hard shoulder blocking their way. They really don't like it but I'm f***** if I'm gong to give way to them anymore. 

• Like 1

On 3/3/2022 at 6:57 AM, peter zwart said:

Don't get confused by what you consider is "Thai Bashing"  rather than simply stating facts.  

Edited by Excel