Help a Layman Understand the COVID-19 Numbers, Please

Stubby

I would say the only way to understand Covid numbers is ignore them all except for the deaths. 

And if you do that, what we see is a disease that is having very little effect, so the policies should reflect this. 

What actually happens however is we get numbers in big red flashing lights everyday saying “highest ever”. 

The difference between the truth and the headlines could not be clearer. Covid restrictions need to end. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, illiterate said:

I would say the only way to understand Covid numbers is ignore them all except for the deaths. 

And if you do that, what we see is a disease that is having very little effect, so the policies should reflect this. 

What actually happens however is we get numbers in big red flashing lights everyday saying “highest ever”. 

The difference between the truth and the headlines could not be clearer. Covid restrictions need to end. 

Mainly I would agree.  For sure, there's a big difference between Delta and Omicron.  And I would say numbers are only useful if right.

Right now the only things that count are serious hospitalizations and deaths.

But it needs to be understood that the very elderly, frail, and vulnerable are at considerable risk, because of their inability to mount an immune response.  So, we need to proceed with caution imo.

17 hours ago, illiterate said:

But this does not tell you about "recovered" individuals.

As far as I can tell, recovered just means "not dead".

I met a woman in her 50s who had no previous health problems and was 90 days in hospital with COVID.

At home and "recovered" she was on 24 hour supplemental O2 and dialysis 3 times / week.

After a month at home she was off O2 but still on dialysis.

So sometimes "recovered" isn't what it sounds like.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, cdemundo said:

But this does not tell you about "recovered" individuals.

As far as I can tell, recovered just means "not dead".

I met a woman in her 50s who had no previous health problems and was 90 days in hospital with COVID.

At home and "recovered" she was on 24 hour supplemental O2 and dialysis 3 times / week.

After a month at home she was off O2 but still on dialysis.

So sometimes "recovered" isn't what it sounds like.

So, out of the 100s of thousands ( ? millions ) that have had covid and recovered, how many have similar problems?

20 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

So, out of the 100s of thousands ( ? millions ) that have had covid and recovered, how many have similar problems?

Long  Covid is not uncommon, but presents different symptoms for different people. Even some apparently asymptomatic cases have lung scarring. 

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/coronavirus/in-depth/coronavirus-long-term-effects/art-20490351

Edited by Danderman123
  • Like 1