Couple of questions about ED visa.

Hi, ive heard different opinions regarding my issue so thought to post it here to get a clear answer.

I was on extension of stay based on studying in language school. My stay started to end so i left the country, but i did not cancel it. Will i have problems with future visas or extentions?

Based in Bkk, so dealing with CW.

Lastly, is it possible for me to get another ED visa even though i already have had one? Reason i ask is because when i first started the ED visa process the school asked me if ive ever had ED before. i did not.

So i just assumed its a one time thing, but then i read that its based on courses. Meaning i cant join the same school again, but can other with a different course. Is this true?

Thank you.

Leaving without canceling your extension based upon attending a school will not crate any problems when your return.

At one time their was limit on the amount of time you could study a language by taking advanced courses for an additional 6 months. Their has not been a lot of discussions about language schools since the pandemic started.

You would not have a problem if you changed languages to study.

4 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Leaving without canceling your extension based upon attending a school will not crate any problems when your return.

At one time their was limit on the amount of time you could study a language by taking advanced courses for an additional 6 months. Their has not been a lot of discussions about language schools since the pandemic started.

You would not have a problem if you changed languages to study.

Thank you!

The in country ED visa system started around the time when the pandemic started, so there is not much information out there and there are only a handful of schools approved for this in BKK.

Curriculum is not part of the ED visa application process so you should be good to go.  I was on ED visas for a number of years as I retired in my forties and was not eligible for Non O.  Never had any problem with back to back.  But there was a big crack down on class attendance because Russians were abusing the visa so they could work at go go bars in Bangla.  Like everything in Thailand it has all just lapses back to the old lazy ineptitude I imagine.

Edited by Adumbration

33 minutes ago, Adumbration said:

Curriculum is not part of the ED visa application process so you should be good to go.

Yes, but part of the process is getting a letter from MOE for the initial visa and also a letter for every new course for extensions. I know i cant attend the same school again as i have completed their courses. Was just wondering if i could attend other schools and get an ED visa. 

24 minutes ago, buddyy said:

Yes, but part of the process is getting a letter from MOE for the initial visa and also a letter for every new course for extensions. I know i cant attend the same school again as i have completed their courses. Was just wondering if i could attend other schools and get an ED visa. 

What were you studying anyway?

If you were studying Thai, there are different levels.

8 minutes ago, buddyy said:

Thai, there were 3 levels. 

If you are studying Thai , you might want to consider this school.

https://dukelanguage.com/student-visa-thailand/#top

The principal there is funny and speaks perfect English. The only con is that their fees are not inexpensive.

They will be able to answer all your education visa questions.

Just tell immigration that you are changing schools because they have better curriculum and teachers.

I wish I had studied at that school instead of the dreadful YMCA.

Edited by EricTh
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, EricTh said:

If you are studying Thai , you might want to consider this school.

https://dukelanguage.com/student-visa-thailand/#top

The principal there is funny and speaks perfect English. The only con is that their fees are not inexpensive.

They will be able to answer all your education visa questions.

Just tell immigration that you are changing schools because they have better curriculum and teachers.

I wish I had studied at that school instead of the dreadful YMCA.

Ive heard its a great school yes.

Im currently not in country, i actually left in the middle of level 3, needed to go back. 

Im planning on coming in with exempt/TR and just looking at options.

3 hours ago, buddyy said:

Im currently not in country, i actually left in the middle of level 3, needed to go back. 

If you look carefully at that page, you can email or call them. Then you can come in with an education visa if you decide to take Thai classes.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, buddyy said:

Level 3 at one school is not the same as level 3 at another school because they all have different teaching materials.

You cannot get an education visa inside Thailand, so if you come to Thailand on exempt/TR , you will have to go out of Thailand again and get it at an embassy. That means you would need to apply for Thailand Pass twice.

1. Visit our school with your passport and 12 passport photos.
  2. Complete the visa application forms from the Ministry of Education.
  3. Wait for 2-4 weeks for the approval letter from the Ministry of Education.
  4. Once ready, collect the approval letter from our school.
  5. Make a trip to a Thai embassy or consulate outside Thailand to apply for the Non-Immigrant ED Visa.
  6. Once approved, come back to Thailand and bring your passport to our school within the first 7 days.

So it's better to apply for your education visa before entering Thailand.

7 minutes ago, EricTh said:

You cannot get an education visa inside Thailand, so if you come to Thailand on exempt/TR , you will have to go out of Thailand again and get it at an embassy. That means you would need to apply for Thailand Pass twice.

This is not accurate now. You can convert to a non-Ed visa while in Thailand. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, EricTh said:

That was true before, but around end of 2020/start of 2021 immigration started issuing ED visas in country. I dont know about other cities, but thats the case in Bkk. 

I myself swapped from TR to ED visa at CW spring of 2021.

This is all official and above the table, there is a list of schools in bkk who are approved for this, Duke is included in that list.

• Like 1

Aren't attendance requirments quite strict for these visas IIRC it looked like you had to be there everyday of classes. There was little flexbility, meaning the only time you could travel was during school holidays. Maybe the let you do something if there is an intersession break between course enrollments. It looked quite serious and not something for students with tourist leanings.