Opinion: Don’t go down the path of vaccine mandates, rather show anti-vaxxers for who they really are

webfact

1 minute ago, EVENKEEL said:

Protect them how? I pay my extended Thai family monthly to stay away.

I keep my distance too.... but my wife likes to visit. She must take measures to protect them, those measures are being used generally in Thailand. These measures are there for Thais not your special approach of not being social. 

25 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

And where are these draconian Covid measures outside of China? There isn't really widespread panic in Jomtien.....

There were lockdowns and harsh restrictions just a month or two ago all over Europe for example. Such a short memory some have. Even still there are covid passports and restrictions of movement in many places to begin with. As the restrictions have been used before so easily there is no guarantee they can not be applied again.

• Like 1

Just now, rabang said:

There were lockdowns and harsh restrictions just a month or two ago all over Europe for example. Such a short memory some have. Even still there are covid passports and restrictions of movement in many places to begin with. As the restrictions have been used before so easily there is no guarantee they can not be applied again.

And an inability to recognize past tense and present tense prevails. So they are all gone now and you are still making a fuss!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

31 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

Fear is addicting, same as the governments use fear to control people. Seems to work.

47 minutes ago, rabang said:

It is not such a significant threat anymore that it would justify draconian measures and restrictions or widespread panic. Experts generally agree that it is evolving to become an endemic disease that can cause problems but on a manageable level. I am not saying anything that I haven't heard or read from people who have a vastly superior knowledge of this issue than probably anyone at this site. If there is someone who "knows better" it is you and likeminded people who are so addicted to fear that you can't let go of it.

Like being afraid of the possible long term effects of vaccines, a phenomenon that so far has yet to show to occur for any vaccine? And to be so irrationally fearful, that some would rather not take the vaccine even though many viruses do result in latent long term effects? Like covid, for example, which is now being shown  to damage the cardiovascular system of people who have allegedly recovered. 

And how about the paranoid loons who believe in government conspiracies and that the measures taken to combat covid are part of a plot to permanently subjugate their citizens?

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

We can agree those who suffer from obesity, diabetes, anxiety disorders should be cautious. These are the groups who suffer from covid deaths.

You really need to get better informed. A quick Google search for data up to the end of February shows that nearly 63,000 people under the age of 50 have died in the US alone, 6,500 were under 30 and 822 were under 17. Do you want to tell their parents it was there own fault because of 'obesity, diabetes, anxiety disorders"   https://www.statista.com/statistics/1191568/reported-deaths-from-covid-by-age-us/

Worldwide the number is approx. 5%. With nearly 6 million deaths so far, that means 300,000 have died under the age of 50. No one is denying that commorbidities form an essential part in who does/doesn't die from Covid but there are plenty of exceptions to the rule as I can testify when my super-fit friend died from Covid last year at the age of 54 (before vaccinations were available).

Please stop minimising the terrible toll this disease has taken and still takes on the world.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, rabang said:

As they should be when there is a public health menace. 

• Sad 2

3 hours ago, jacko45k said:

And where are these draconian Covid measures outside of China? There isn't really widespread panic in Jomtien.....

The mandates are alive and well in NZ ( while other countries like the UK have abandoned most ), and except for the shopkeepers that can't be bothered checking vaccine passports are as inconvenient as ever. Beginning to change though, and many have had enough of it all. Massive protests against the mandates, as in other countries.

Was discussing it with a friend and she reckons those that were sacked for not having the vaccine will be getting re employed ( while still unvaccinated ) by June. Have to wait and see if she's right on that.

2 hours ago, johnnybangkok said:

You really need to get better informed. A quick Google search for data up to the end of February shows that nearly 63,000 people under the age of 50 have died in the US alone, 6,500 were under 30 and 822 were under 17. Do you want to tell their parents it was there own fault because of 'obesity, diabetes, anxiety disorders" 

Obesity causes many problems ( eg diabetes ), and is, IMO for most, avoidable. Are they to blame for any obesity related health problems when they could have avoided them by not eating too much bad food and exercising more? I have my own opinion on that, but perhaps you have a differing one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Was discussing it with a friend and she reckons those that were sacked for not having the vaccine will be getting re employed ( while still unvaccinated ) by June. Have to wait and see if she's right on that.

It will be a rare thing outside China soon.... as to vaccine mandates wrt certain jobs, I can see some point, hospital workers perhaps... along with mandatory drug testing.

On 3/4/2022 at 8:43 AM, jacko45k said:

Not mandatory here.... not in UK... are you Austrian or just making a strawman?

It does not matter. Here is an example of the restrictions in Australia: https://www.wa.gov.au/government/covid-19-coronavirus/covid-19-coronavirus-what-you-can-and-cant-do

Thankfully we are seeing fewer and fewer of those restrictions in the world.

58 minutes ago, rabang said:

It does not matter. Here is an example of the restrictions in Australia: https://www.wa.gov.au/government/covid-19-coronavirus/covid-19-coronavirus-what-you-can-and-cant-do

Thankfully we are seeing fewer and fewer of those restrictions in the world.

Of course it matters.....Austria has a right to make its own decisions, as does Australia. By the way, the link you supplied relates to Western Australia, not the entire country . There is no vaccination mandate for all. WA have always been a law unto themselves.