Thai police forced to apologize after telling accident victim: "Why report it - what's in it for us?"

webfact

9 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Does anybody know what those traffic police officers actually do?

They don't care when lots of bikes all the time ignore red lights.

They don't care when cars and bike and trucks ignore zebra crossings.

They don't care when people try to drive while playing with their phones.

What do they do and what do they get paid for?

Mhhmm.... the need of 600 rtp for stop the traffic on sukhumvit-road for 450km if a big politician player want to drive somewhere?

A helicopter flight will be much more cheaper!!!

Edited by snowgard
  • Like 2

Maybe they were knackered after their PT!

No, really, bumbling through my local small town yesterday I was met by the bizarre sight of the local police force on a squadded run making their way (rather slowly) down the main street. About three dozen of them, running in three ranks. They were all wearing boots, brown uniform trousers, black roll neck pullovers and berets or baseball caps, their pistols and radios bouncing on their belts. The boss was in front of them, sporting a big "South American General" style officers peaked cap. It has to be said that some of the more well nourished of them were in some obvious distress, despite the almost shuffling pace of the "run" - "breathing out of their backsides" as the old saying has it!

Now if I had been required to do that, in normal working dress, on a warm afternoon, in front of an admiring (and raucous) crowd in the local market I don't think that I would be that interested in potholes either!

Edited by herfiehandbag

13 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

Maybe they were knackered after their PT!

No, really, bumbling through my local small town yesterday I was met by the bizarre sight of the local police force on a squadded run making their way (rather slowly) down the main street. About three dozen of them, running in three ranks. They were all wearing boots, brown uniform trousers, black roll neck pullovers and berets or baseball caps, their pistols and radios bouncing on their belts. The boss was in front of them, sporting a big "South American General" style officers peaked cap. It has to be said that some of the more well nourished of them were in some obvious distress, despite the almost shuffling pace of the "run" - "breathing out of their backsides" as the old saying has it!

Now if I had been required to do that, in normal working dress, on a warm afternoon, in front of an admiring (and raucous) crowd in the local market I don't think that I would be that interested in potholes either!

Bit stupid to make a show of it, not so stupid to expect police and military and so on to keep up some stamina and strength. They should dock pay if they can't do a run in a certain amount of time and stuff like that. (not talking about really fast times) but as a cop you should be fit, same goes for army. Its part of their job. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Does anybody know what those traffic police officers actually do?

They don't care when lots of bikes all the time ignore red lights.

They don't care when cars and bike and trucks ignore zebra crossings.

They don't care when people try to drive while playing with their phones.

What do they do and what do they get paid for?

Their too busy checking Facebook, for complaints and criticism about themselves, not working or doing their job. :coffee1:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, robblok said:

Bit stupid to make a show of it, not so stupid to expect police and military and so on to keep up some stamina and strength. They should dock pay if they can't do a run in a certain amount of time and stuff like that. (not talking about really fast times) but as a cop you should be fit, same goes for army. Its part of their job. 

They need to get a TJ Hooker type of a Police Academy to get them fit. for those who don't know who TJ Hooker was, it was in an American TV series about a Police Academy, and TJ Hooker was played by William Shatner.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, possum1931 said:

They need to get a TJ Hooker type of a Police Academy to get them fit. for those who don't know who TJ Hooker was, it was in an American TV series about a Police Academy, and TJ Hooker was played by William Shatner.

I don't think it actually had anything to do with getting or keeping fit. It was an attempt to look good, most probably for the chap out front. It failed dismally. All they ended up with was having the <deleted> taken out of them by the market ladies. An asthmatic 6 year old from the nearby primary school could have outr UK n them!

• Like 2

On 2/24/2022 at 4:41 PM, Regyai said:

Should have reported that her 10baht gold chain went down the hole

...it would have been plugged shut with brown attired parasites within the hour

Unfortunately, that would have been committing two offences, fraud and making a false police report.  

On 2/25/2022 at 8:12 AM, robblok said:

They should dock pay if they can't do a run in a certain amount of time and stuff like that.

No western countries' police forces impose that "fitness" requirement on their considerable numbers of "fat b'stard" law enforcement officers, why should Thailand?   

On 2/25/2022 at 4:47 PM, possum1931 said:

...and, more importantly, it was all fiction!

• Haha 1

Just now, Liverpool Lou said:

No western countries' police forces impose that "fitness" requirement on their considerable numbers of "fat b'stard" law enforcement officers, why should Thailand?   

From my police friend in the Netherlands there were consequences for failing the yearly sports tests. I will ask him what they were. But there were a few. In the Netherlands there is a yearly sporttest for cops. Not sure about other countries.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, robblok said:

From my police friend in the Netherlands there were consequences for failing the yearly sports tests. I will ask him what they were. But there were a few. In the Netherlands there is a yearly sporttest for cops. Not sure about other countries.

Ok.  It's a good thing thing that US and UK police don't have that requirement, though!

On 2/24/2022 at 2:44 PM, Mr Meeseeks said:

In Thailand, you have to think like this:

Why would you pay three times the going rate for next to nothing extra in return?

If you have the money, just hire three of them. 

That single person is never going to improve regardless of how much you pay him, he's already at the limit of his capabilities. 

Correct and would apply to most, but if you want to stop police corruption, you have to pay them a very decent wages.