Assault on Kiev: Russian helicopters swoop above Ukraine's capital

Chris.B

8 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

No Ukrainian pilots are flying Polish jets.

There not Polish jets from an article I read they were 9 or 12 mig29s given by the EU delivered in Poland where Ukrainian pilots were going to fly out of. 

From all accounts it maybe Fake news which there is a lot of. 

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Nor do I that's the problem with so called weird war. 

Emotion and propergander cloud the facts. 

They hope for a peaceful withdrawel before it escalate. If they attack the convoy, there is alot more on stake and not at least feelings. My two cent

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Hummin said:

They hope for a peaceful withdrawel before it escalate. If they attack the convoy, there is alot more on stake and not at least feelings. My two cent

The convoy also look like staged cannon foodder if you ask me, it is a bait maybe

Edited by Hummin

Russian Airborne troops now in Khakiv

Ukraine's military has confirmed earlier reports that Russian paratroopers had landed in Kharkiv in an effort to take the besieged city.

According to the Ukrainian military, the aerial assault began just as air raid sirens were starting to sound in Kharkiv and the surrounding region.

The statement adds that the Russian troops attacked a regional military hospital, and that fighting is ongoing.

It is currently just after 06:00 in the mostly Russian-speaking city.

https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-europe-60582327

• Sad 2

The devastation of residential area's in this video clip providing clear evidence of the discriminant bombing.

Videos verified by @nytimes show devastating scenes in the town of Borodyanka, northwest of Kyiv. Two apartment buildings have partially collapsed and they surround a kindergarten.

https://twitter.com/muyixiao/status/1498857620370821123

• Like 1

PRESS RELEASE: the #ICJ will hold public hearings in the case concerning Allegations of Genocide under the Convention on the Prevention and Punishment of the Crime of Genocide (#Ukraine v. #RussianFederation) on 7 and 8 March 2022

FMyN9UgWUAMNgjL.png.22fa457dafa4c5f843b57a29cf31d169.png

https://twitter.com/CIJ_ICJ/status/1498728920589508609

https://www.icj-cij.org/public/files/case-related/182/182-20220301-PRE-01-00-EN.pdf

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, tgw said:

nope, they don't have a massive military.

I believe they are trying to obtain some:

Ukrainians Citizens Are Taking It Upon Themselves To Capture Russian Military Vehicles

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/44511/ukrainians-citizens-are-taking-it-upon-themselves-to-capture-russian-military-vehicles

• Like 2

It might be interesting to see a poll asking if people think its time for Nato to get directly involved with air support. Yes of course that would make a world war official. But otherwise sit and watch the slaughter as if its a reality tv show?

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

It might be interesting to see a poll asking if people think its time for Nato to get directly involved with air support. Yes of course thar would make a world war official. But otherwise sit and watch the slaughter as if its a reality tv show?

As a Norwegian, I would say no! If Us is shot at, it will be a Nato war! 

Number one reason is the danger of nuclear war! Putin will use nuclear weapons if pushed to far, since he is cornered as a wounded dog at the moment.

• Like 2

Ukraine cannot resist these Russian forces for much longer - they will take Kiev, kill Zelinskiy,  occupy Ukraine and maybe attack other territories too. It's dreadful.

The West including BJ are rightly IMO mindful that there is no deterrent with Putin around. He will use nuclear weapons at the drop of a hat and with hardly a thought if he finds himself losing face. In that event, most of the western world will be flattened . The equation that exists with 2 sane opponents is not there. So the West are right about not attempting a 'no fly' zone etc. It will be very difficult to resupply the Ukraine military as Russia takes a grip.

IMO negotiations have no chance of success. Hopefully Putin can be deposed one way or another, a bullet being first choice.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

17 hours ago, Stevemercer said:

Russia has a declining population (currently 124 million) which will blunt its potential. An easy way to boost its population (and economic clout) is to incorporate Ukraine's 44 million people into Russia.

Ukraine’s census attempt crashes and burns yet again

Independent Ukraine has held only one census, almost 20 years ago.

The 2001 census pegged Ukraine’s population at 48.46 million. Since then, the country has tried multiple times to conduct another census, but economic troubles, political dysfunction and civil strife have disrupted plans.

Based on the 2020 population estimate, which most demographers agree is a reasonable figure, Ukraine seems to have lost over 11 million in population over the past two decades.

https://eurasianet.org/ukraines-census-attempt-crashes-and-burns-yet-again

Edited by metisdead
14) You will not post any copyrighted material except as fair use laws apply (as in the case of news articles). Please only post a link, the headline and the first three sentences.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

It might be interesting to see a poll asking if people think its time for Nato to get directly involved with air support. Yes of course that would make a world war official. But otherwise sit and watch the slaughter as if its a reality tv show?

Boris speaking on behalf of NATO has said a fly sone is something they will not do.

Biden has said much the same. 

46 minutes ago, Hummin said:

As a Norwegian, I would say no! If Us is shot at, it will be a Nato war! 

Number one reason is the danger of nuclear war! Putin will use nuclear weapons if pushed to far, since he is cornered as a wounded dog at the moment.

I get all that but the alternative is to sit back and watch the slaughter.

There might be a potential better outcome.

Nato air support makes it clear to Putin that he will never win.

The west pushes talks and makes it clear they will give Putin some face saving offers so that he can play act a winner in Russia.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

No but by the looks of it it could have been one of these...............

Russia has been accused of using 'vacuum bombs' in Ukraine. What are those?

Russian forces have been accused of using the widely banned and dangerous weapons known as vacuum bombs that "obliterate" their victims. 

Amnesty International accused Russia of using vacuum bombs, or thermobaric weapons, to attack a preschool in northeastern Ukraine while civilians took shelter inside. CNN reported that one of its teams had spotted a Russian thermobaric multiple rocket launcher near the Ukrainian border early on Saturday afternoon.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2022/03/01/vacuum-bombs-russia-ukraine/9328666002/

1 hour ago, TorquayFan said:

Ukraine cannot resist these Russian forces for much longer - they will take Kiev, kill Zelinskiy,  occupy Ukraine and maybe attack other territories too. It's dreadful.

The West including BJ are rightly IMO mindful that there is no deterrent with Putin around. He will use nuclear weapons at the drop of a hat and with hardly a thought if he finds himself losing face. In that event, most of the western world will be flattened . The equation that exists with 2 sane opponents is not there. So the West are right about not attempting a 'no fly' zone etc. It will be very difficult to resupply the Ukraine military as Russia takes a grip.

IMO negotiations have no chance of success. Hopefully Putin can be deposed one way or another, a bullet being first choice.

Sounds like defeatist talk to me!  ????

Brutal onslaught rages in Ukraine as Zelensky calls for more international support

Kyiv, Ukraine (CNN)Russia's brutal onslaught of Ukraine is raging on multiple fronts, but despite desperate pleas for more international assistance, the country faces Moscow's offensive largely alone.

Ukraine, which is not a NATO member, has mounted a fierce reistance, but in a rare interview from a Kyiv bunker Tuesday, President Volodymyr Zelensky warned that his country -- which has a much smaller military than Russia -- needs more help to prevent the crisis from spreading across Europe.

Zelensky told CNN's Matthew Chance.... "And I've told them many times that Ukraine will resist and fight stronger than anyone else but on our own against Russia we won't manage it."

(more)

https://www.cnn.com/2022/03/02/europe/ukraine-russia-invasion-wednesday-intl-hnk/index.html

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

I get all that but the alternative is to sit back and watch the slaughter.

There might be a potential better outcome.

Nato air support makes it clear to Putin that he will never win.

The west pushes talks and makes it clear they will give Putin some face saving offers so that he can play act a winner in Russia.

It is rumors that FSB leaking information to protect the Ukrain president, and hopefully Putin will be eliminated from inside. 

Edited by Hummin

Chris B - 'defeatist talk'. Not at all. It's important to have a realistic view. It's very easy to get swept up by the heroism in Ukraine but the reality is that there's only one end in sight - Russia has almost endless resources and Ukraine's are running low.

I wish it were otherwise.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

If someone gets to Putin it'll be a Russian.

As for Mossad, I understand Israel declined to co-sponsor the UN resolution condemning Russia a few days ago - they'll be keeping their heads down.

Edited by TorquayFan
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, TorquayFan said:

Chris B - 'defeatist talk'. Not at all. It's important to have a realistic view. It's very easy to get swept up by the heroism in Ukraine but the reality is that there's only one end in sight - Russia has almost endless resources and Ukraine's are running low.

I wish it were otherwise.

Sitting in your comfy armchair in front of your keyboard making pronouncements of how "sad" it all is. Nah!! Keep your defeatist thoughts to yourself.

• Confused 1

Chris B - no need for that - I'm not 'pronouncing' I'm posting - it's a Forum btw.

You are obviously caught up in the inspiring heroics in Ukraine and so am I. But the reality is that continuance involves massive destruction and bloodshed. After that, Russia will still be there.

NATO have rightly (IMO) decided that the risk of provoking a nuclear bounce is all too real and have drawn the line. So we are left with sanctions to break Putin's hold on Russia and with the hope that he is deposed one way or another, VERY soon.

I am sad about all this - aren't you ?

Edited by TorquayFan

21 minutes ago, TorquayFan said:

If someone gets to Putin it'll be a Russian.

As for Mossad, I understand Israel declined to co-sponsor the UN resolution condemning Russia a few days ago - they'll be keeping their heads down.

Israel stands with Ukraine but they're being careful fearing blowback from Russia. Also.its complicated. So many Russian Israelis.

1 hour ago, Hummin said:

It is rumors that FSB leaking information to protect the Ukrain president, and hopefully Putin will be eliminated from inside. 

Imagine out there is a bullet in someone pocket that will penetrate his dumb skull and, at least for a split second, that bullet can claim to know what Putin is thinking.

3 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Imagine out there is a bullet in someone pocket that will penetrate his dumb skull and, at least for a split second, that bullet can claim to know what Putin is thinking.

Just reading about Peter the Great where Putin might have his inspitation from. Found a great article a out him in Norwegian, and are looking for more

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_the_Great