Assault on Kiev: Russian helicopters swoop above Ukraine's capital

Chris.B

32 minutes ago, rabas said:

You mistake "legitimate threat to sovereignty" with "a threat to Russia's/Putin's opportunistic and illegal territorial expansion". These are not the same.

I and most experts disagree , but I am will to hear what brought you to that conclusion. 

our friend Mearsheimer is an ultra realest

No friend of mine , never even met the man. 

does not suggest Russia/Putin has any moral right to Ukraine, only that fear of NATO

And neither did I, please point our where I did.

Mearsheimer is not defending Russia as you do. He simply explains the logic behind what may happen.

.And so did I, again please point out where I did, and please refrain from putting words in my mouth. A pretentious avatar does not give you the right. 

To better understand Mearsheimer read: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Mearsheimer

I don't see how his wikipedia page is relevant,But to your point.   I do even better I listen to the man. 

As I said , take one thing that he said,  disagree with , and offer contradicting evidence not just opinion ,

One thing , only one thing.

I am not holding my breath. 

Edited by sirineou
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

2015 lecture, dismissed the idea that Russia would ever try to “conquer Ukraine” — arguing that “Putin is much too smart for that”. 

And he still does. Obviously you have no idea what Mearsheimer claims, Have you even listen to one of his lectures?

9 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

John Mearsheimer ’s lecture on Ukraine: Why he is wrong and what are the consequences  North Acropolis of Yaxha,Guatemala.

So another arguable  opinion   paper on Mearsheimer but no contradicting evidence  Please take one thing he said and contradict it. Mearsheimer offered quotes why he thought Puttin was not lying , please point out the section where evidence is presented that he was. 

15 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Why John Mearsheimer Gets Ukraine Wrong

He does not even attempt to "get " Ukraine in any way. Of course any people would fight against an invasion of their country. He only attempts to explained how we got there.

Do you disagree how we got there/ and if so why?  

I am getting tired of this, I actually have a life. I hope you appreciate the effort I put in trying to engage you all  in a rational conversation. I see that this is not possible and I am wasting my breath.

Have a good day.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, LosLobo said:

Russians have been sending drones, missiles and so forth towards Ukraine cities but that's not called acts of terrorism, they name it "military operation" but if Ukraine does something to defends themselves it's called a terrorist act (from the article)

"" A Kyiv regime attempt to carry out a terrorist act using two drones on objects on the territory of the city of Moscow was stopped," the Russian defence ministry said in a statement"

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

58 minutes ago, ballpoint said:

Yes, Moscow stopped the attack by hurriedly placing two buildings in the way.

(Photo from Reuters).

image.png.dfe3a5bf686ee6bd42cfc3c647ee1b0f.png

Some more good news:

Official Kyiv: Attrition Strategy Against Russian Army Working, Ukraine Offensive Will Succeed

Kyiv’s strategy eventually to defeat the Russian army by hollowing it out by attrition is succeeding, senior Ukrainian officials led by President Volodymyr Zelensky said in recent comments.

Zelensky in a Sunday national TV statement said the Armed Forces of Ukraine’s (AFU) southern offensive was generally proceeding according to plan, that Kremlin forces were suffering serious losses, and he hinted to viewers the pace of Ukrainian attacks would accelerate in coming days.

“We have already started preparing for the upcoming week. There will be a lot of different events that will definitely bolster Ukraine’s defense,” Zelensky said.

https://www.kyivpost.com/post/19799

• Like 1

Russia attacked Ukraine grain storage very close to the Romanian border. Russia is playing very dangerous games. Couple of their missiles landing in Romania by mistake and NATO might see that as an excuse to get involved. One would almost hope so….

Edited by rudi49jr
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, rudi49jr said:

Russia attacked Ukraine grain storage very close to the Romanian border. Russia is playing very dangerous games. Couple of their missiles landing in Romania by mistake and NATO might see that as an excuse to get involved. One would almost hope so….

Well, NATO definitely doesn't want to get directly involved.

So for Article 5 to be invoked, Russia would need to launch an UNAMBIGUOUS attack on NATO territory. An accident wouldn't do it. Russia doesn't want that either and yes it's a big risk getting so close, but I can't see them intentionally attacking NATO land. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Well, NATO definitely doesn't want to get directly involved.

So for Article 5 to be invoked, Russia would need to launch an UNAMBIGUOUS attack on NATO territory. An accident wouldn't do it. Russia doesn't want that either and yes it's a big risk getting so close, but I can't see them intentionally attacking NATO land. 

Expanding on that. An interesting point in this video is that Putin is starving countries in the "Global South" that he has expected support from, or at least neutrality.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Expanding on that. An interesting point in this video is that Putin is starving countries in the "Global South" that he has expected support from, or at least neutrality.

in other words .... cut off your nose to spite your face ....

to do something because you are angry, even if it will cause trouble for you   555

4 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

Yes Putin, you and your terrorists will be kicked out:

"Russian President Vladimir Putin said Ukraine's attacks had "significantly" intensified."

Ukraine war: Kyiv claims success as southern fighting intensifies

Ukraine's military says it has had success on one of the front lines in southeast Ukraine, as Western officials talk of a major thrust taking place.

In a video published by President Zelensky, Ukrainian troops said they had taken the village of Staromaiorske.

Earlier, Ukraine's military said it was "solidifying positions" it had reached in the same area, east of the city of Zaporizhzhia.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-66323354

I wish I shared your optimism but I don't feel confident in any predictions.

Ultimately, even given that Ukrainians have been amazing in their motivation and innovative genius taking on a much bigger invader, what's going to actually turn into fully kicking Russia out depends on the aid from the west. It's clear to me (though hardly an original thought) that the west has been great in helping Ukraine DEFEND itself but has been crickets on really committing to Ukraine WINNING. The west is clearly afraid of that outcome as far as what would happen in Russia, whether they would use nukes, etc. So if that weak tea help continues the best Ukraine will be getting is some kind of temporary "peace" deal with Russia holding on to large areas of their land including Crimea. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I wish I shared your optimism but I don't feel confident in any predictions.

Ultimately, even given that Ukrainians have been amazing in their motivation and innovative genius taking on a much bigger invader, what's going to actually turn into fully kicking Russia out depends on the aid from the west. It's clear to me (though hardly an original thought) that the west has been great in helping Ukraine DEFEND itself but has been crickets on really committing to Ukraine WINNING. The west is clearly afraid of that outcome as far as what would happen in Russia, whether they would use nukes, etc. So if that weak tea help continues the best Ukraine will be getting is some kind of temporary "peace" deal with Russia holding on to large areas of their land including Crimea. 

I think the West, NATO and Stoltenberg is right on target and is spot on doing the right thing.

They give Ukraine enough to win on their own terms, but also not enough that Ukraine will emerge as a military superpower post-war. Who knows what kind of leadership Ukraine will have in 10-20 years? Maybe not a happy comedian again.

Russia will not be allowed to use nukes, by ......surprise China. You want to know why?

1 minute ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

I think the West, NATO and Stoltenberg is right on target and is spot on doing the right thing.

They give Ukraine enough to win on their own terms, but also not enough that Ukraine will emerge as a military superpower post-war. Who knows what kind of leadership Ukraine will have in 10-20 years? Maybe not a happy comedian again.

Russia will not be allowed to use nukes, by ......surprise China. You want to know why?

I don't agree. It's not enough.

44 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

That is understandable,  we all want to see the good guys win. I still think there are some valuable lessons learned from earlier conflicts in Afghanistan and Iraq. Old allies don't always stay loyal.

There is no equivalence there at all!

I can understand a concern about Russia taking all the arms if they won, but NATO has the power to insure that Ukraine wins.

If you seriously think that after Ukraine wins, a country that very much wants to join NATO ASAP, they will turn into enemies of the west, I can't even process that level of paranoia. 

Also of course Ukraine will need help to rebuild and that will take decades.

Zelensky knew long ago that he needed air power to stage a swift effective counter offensive. It's outrageous that he doesn't have that now and still needs to wait several months, possibly too late. Pundits and useful idiots for Putin wanting to cut Ukraine off complain that Ukraine isn't taking back territory fast enough. Who's to blame for that? Obviously the Russians of course but also it's the direct result of the west refusing to fully commit to making Ukraine WIN. Not to mention all the dead brave Ukrainian defenders and civilians that have already died because of the west's help being too timid.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

That is understandable,  we all want to see the good guys win. I still think there are some valuable lessons learned from earlier conflicts in Afghanistan and Iraq. Old allies don't always stay loyal.

Not a good comparison in my opinion the people running Afghanistan did the World Trade Center we invaded Iraq on bad information no comparison at all Ukraine appealed for help and got it Russia invaded on false accusations this is a war of conquest and theft.the Ukrainian people are fighting for their sovereignty and self determination they desperately want to be a part of the west/Europe they seem to me to be strongly evolving towards that goal personally I want Allies like them salva Ukraine ???????? evict the criminals!

9 minutes ago, Tug said:

Not a good comparison in my opinion the people running Afghanistan did the World Trade Center we invaded Iraq on bad information no comparison at all Ukraine appealed for help and got it Russia invaded on false accusations this is a war of conquest and theft.the Ukrainian people are fighting for their sovereignty and self determination they desperately want to be a part of the west/Europe they seem to me to be strongly evolving towards that goal personally I want Allies like them salva Ukraine ???????? evict the criminals!

I was referring to the earlier conflicts.

USA helping Afghanistan during the Soviet invasion and then later that same Afghanistan turned around and did September 11.

Same with Iraq, which was supported by the US during the Iraq-Iran conflict and then later Iraq invaded Kuwait and as a result we had 2 gulf wars.

2 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

I was referring to the earlier conflicts.

USA helping Afghanistan during the Soviet invasion and then later that same Afghanistan turned around and did September 11.

Same with Iraq, which was supported by the US during the Iraq-Iran conflict and then later Iraq invaded Kuwait and as a result we had 2 gulf wars.

Ok thanks for clarifying I did misunderstand still that beeing said I do disagree Ukraine can and will become a strong vibrant nato/eurozone ally I’d certainly want them on my side!salva Ukraine ???????? 

• Like 1