The Importance Of Keeping Your Mouth Shut

girlx

a good friend of mine was set up by a thai family today- they planted drugs in her room, accused her of stealing something from them, and went to search for it with a policeman. she had been talking too much about the various misdeeds of this family, who are notorious for having made loads of money via the drug trade and other mafia activities.

i learned this the hard way also a couple of years ago. keep your mouth shut in thailand. do not tell girlfriends their boyfriend is cheating on them. do not tell poor farang suckers they are being scammed in land deals. do not say anything about the history or goings on of anyone else in thailand unless you are prepared to face seriously whacked consequences.

my friend faces something like 5 years in jail, a huge fine, and deportation for simply telling a girl that her thai boyfriend had beat the crap out of his ex girlfriend.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow girlx, that's rough crowd you run with. Ever thought about changing some of your associates? I'm sure they all like you very much, but you know they'd do the same to you if it ever suited their interests. Please be careful. Sorry about your friend. Can she get a neutral Thai to intercede on her behalf?

while it is NOT beyond belief .....

...it is very common in certain social setting here in Thailand with a very unhealthy mixture of a certain type of foreigners and a certain type of Thais, very often seen to newly booming beach areas.

a good friend of mine was set up by a thai family today- they planted drugs in her room, accused her of stealing something from them, and went to search for it with a policeman. she had been talking too much about the various misdeeds of this family, who are notorious for having made loads of money via the drug trade and other mafia activities.

i learned this the hard way also a couple of years ago. keep your mouth shut in thailand. do not tell girlfriends their boyfriend is cheating on them. do not tell poor farang suckers they are being scammed in land deals. do not say anything about the history or goings on of anyone else in thailand unless you are prepared to face seriously whacked consequences.

my friend faces something like 5 years in jail, a huge fine, and deportation for simply telling a girl that her thai boyfriend had beat the crap out of his ex girlfriend.

It is bad policy to gossip and stir up trouble in any culture - but your friend seems to be totally naieve to

have gotten involved here - hard lesson

It is bad policy to gossip and stir up trouble in any culture - but your friend seems to be totally naieve to

Mr. Rosner is incensed. A hard lesson? A lesson in what? How not to trust UNTRUSTWORTHY people? Backstabbing scumbags? The lady is probably one of these rosy colored glasses type - a do gooder -

A hard lesson.

Mr. Rosner is reserving what he is thinking so as not to write it here.

Mr. Rosner prays to the Buddha that if the story is true, that the scumbags involved will one day feel the whammy of what goes around comes around and contract painful cancer.

Mr. Rosner is incensed. A hard lesson? A lesson in what? How not to trust UNTRUSTWORTHY people? Backstabbing scumbags? The lady is probably one of these rosy colored glasses type - a do gooder -

A hard lesson.

Mr. Rosner prays to the Buddha that if the story is true, that the scumbags involved will one day feel the whammy of what goes around comes around and contract painful cancer.

MR Rosner seems to like to speculate as to the disposition of said lady.  I can fully sypathise with the ladys

terrible plight but it is a hard lesson, and one would be wise not to associate with such scoundrals.

Oh, no!  i have started to adopt your style or scribbling  :o

A hard lesson.

Weho .... give it a rest

...it is very common in certain social setting here in Thailand with a very unhealthy mixture of a certain type of foreigners and a certain type of Thais, very often seen to newly booming beach areas.

Yeah! KPG is a newly blooming beach area ........ ignore the years and years of FMP's

Yeah! KPG is a newly blooming beach area ........ ignore the years and years of FMP's

Oh, i don't - i haven't liked the place when it was still a recently discovered backpacker island, and "FMP's" haven't been invented yet. These "FMP's" are main reason for the problems - lotsa drugs, lotsa scum that is attracted to all that grey zone money making machine, lotsa infighting between people trying to set up businesses there.

I dont know whether this is relevant, a couple of years ago we were taking a group of friends on a tour of thailand,one of them had obviously read Lonely planet, because he knew everything about Bkk :D according to him the Indra Regent was a hotbed of vice and roaches, but he knew of a highly recommended guesthouse also near Pratunam, so there we went for a couple of days, on the 2nd day my wife stumbled on one of the houseboys in our room going through one of our suitcases, needless to say the houseboy was sacked, later on we decided to ship one of our suitcases back home filled with souvenirs that our guests had bought so we could ship them back to england for them, we had no further problems, but this is where the story really starts :D 8 weeks ago we started to check the state of our suitcases to see if they would last another trip, the large one that we had sent back by sea was a bit battered and smelt funny, so we decided to throw it away , we checked all the pckets and to our horror in the lining we found a very large ziploc bag full of a brown oily substance, we dread to think what would have happened if we had been caught with it at Don Muang, after over 40 years of travelling asia learned something new again, we wont make the same mistake again, as my german friends used to say, Holzauge sei Wachsam!!(young Gerd can Translate ) :o Nignoy

I dont know whether this is relevant, a couple of years ago we were taking a group of friends on a tour of thailand,one of them had obviously read Lonely planet, because he knew everything about Bkk :D according to him the Indra Regent was a hotbed of vice and roaches, but he knew of a highly recommended guesthouse also near Pratunam, so there we went for a couple of days, on the 2nd day my wife stumbled on one of the houseboys in our room going through one of our suitcases, needless to say the houseboy was sacked, later on we decided to ship one of our suitcases back home filled with souvenirs that our guests had bought so we could ship them back to england for them, we had no further problems, but this is where the story really starts :D 8 weeks ago we started to check the state of our suitcases to see if they would last another trip, the large one that we had sent back by sea was a bit battered and smelt funny, so we decided to throw it away , we checked all the pckets and to our horror in the lining we found a very large ziploc bag full of a brown oily substance, we dread to think what would have happened if we had been caught with it at Don Muang, after over 40 years of travelling asia learned something new again, we wont make the same mistake again, as my german friends used to say, Holzauge sei Wachsam!!(young Gerd can Translate ) :o Nignoy

I always check all my pockets before check out, if i must stow my bags I check them again in the bathroom of the airport I'm arriving at before clearing customs. To the OP's point I once heard, "In life there are millions of chances to keep your mouth shut, take all of them"

Agree with Lanna & Robski. An awful lot of dramas & bad situations occur in your circle of friends, according to your posts on TV. If I were you, I would definitely be changing my friends, if not moving to an entirely new area, before one of those dramas involved me.

well i am attracted to the islands and the islands in thailand are lawless. anyone who stays here long term will eventually run into a situation like this. like i said i learned this lesson awhile ago, and i don't get involved with the mafia locals. it still really scares me how easily you can have a problem here based on so little. thais are the most volatile and mercenary people on earth i think. it's not just my group of friends here, or the locals on this island, or this region of the country- i think in all of thailand you run the risk. it's a different culture so sometimes you might think what you do or say is innocuous, but the thais feel differently, and you may not see it coming when they are out to get you as they are all wearing masks.

well i am attracted to the islands and the islands in thailand are lawless. anyone who stays here long term will eventually run into a situation like this. like i said i learned this lesson awhile ago, and i don't get involved with the mafia locals. it still really scares me how easily you can have a problem here based on so little. thais are the most volatile and mercenary people on earth i think. it's not just my group of friends here, or the locals on this island, or this region of the country- i think in all of thailand you run the risk. it's a different culture so sometimes you might think what you do or say is innocuous, but the thais feel differently, and you may not see it coming when they are out to get you as they are all wearing masks.

You need to expand your horizons of Thailand beyond the Rasta Cabana Boyz of Koh Phangnan.

:o:D I take it by that remark (bold), you haven't travelled to many other countries. I can think of a few that I've been to, where I would say the citizens meet your description, far more than Thais. Then, there are many, many places I haven't been to, so can't comment on the volatility of the people.

Sure, I don't live in the islands, but I've been in Thailand for nearly 6 years and have managed to keep out of trouble. Doesn't sbk live on the same island as you? She seems to be able to keep away from that aspect of island life/Thai life, too. Like I said, I'd change my friends...

well thanks for the advice but these are not my friends, and i don't get involved with them, and i don't have these problems. i am relating the problems of someone else.

You need to expand your horizons of Thailand beyond the Rasta Cabana Boyz of Koh Phangnan.

you need to pay a visit to koh phangan so you know what you are talking about. there are no rasta boys here in TNPY whatsoever, and i don't associate with any of the beach boys. you are all very quick to generalize the population of an entire island.

Edited by girlx

I take it by that remark (bold), you haven't travelled to many other countries. I can think of a few that I've been to, where I would say the citizens meet your description, far more than Thais. Then, there are many, many places I haven't been to, so can't comment on the volatility of the people.

you say yourself that you have never been in a situation where you would have witnessed the volatility of the people here, so thanks for your input, but it is useless. there are similar stories about thais on this board pretty often.

well thanks for the advice but these are not my friends, and i don't get involved with them, and i don't have these problems. i am relating the problems of someone else.

OK, then, I apologise for the wording. But, between 'ladies' & 'general', a lot of the problems of people-who-are-not-your-friends get chronicled. I think I'm beginning to be of the same opinion as jd...

i have no idea how or why a situation like this would occur.

the dude put drugs in your bag, but why on earth would he do it, except to set you up for a bust and extort you.

that was not the reason as it did not happen, so how was this guy going to get his drugs back? or what was his purpose.

i believe what you have said, but it always seems like bollicks when someone writes about these things.

just to keep on topic, its a very silly thing to start getting involved in other business over here and why did you not tell her to keep her big mouth shut. ? considering how long you been living in tong nai pan.

i also used to live there and no the rules of these islands very well.

just shut the <deleted>> up and get on with your business. if you dont like whats going down get the <deleted>> out of there.

its a very silly thing to start getting involved in other business over here and why did you not tell her to keep her big mouth shut.

i did tell her. just like i am telling you.

its a very silly thing to start getting involved in other business over here and why did you not tell her to keep her big mouth shut.

i did tell her. just like i am telling you.

well if you did tell her and she was stupid enough to start telling stories she set her self up for this to happen. :o

if that is the case why bother writing the story here, as we all no what can happen when silly people dont know when to shut there mouths. seems to happen to younger girls alot and i wonder why that is?

anyway you have many stories about how shitty and dangerous the islands are so it could be a good idea to maybe try something else, as you might end up in the same situation because of your association with these silly people.

again, (jimmythemook) i am not the one with the problem. it is my friend who found herself in deep water with the scuzzballs. to completely avoid them we would all have to leave koh phangan (or even thailand)- i have chosen to accept the risk so far, as i learned early on not to get involved. still, it does still shock me how easily one can have a problem here. people who are new to thailand may not realize this. hence the warning.

Edited by girlx

again, (jimmythemook) i am not the one with the problem. it is my friend who found herself in deep water with the scuzzballs. to completely avoid them we would all have to leave koh phangan (or even thailand)- i have chosen to accept the risk so far, as i learned early on not to get involved. still, it does still shock me how easily one can have a problem here. people who are new to thailand may not realize this. hence the warning.

im at pra artit pier the other day catching my local boat down the river and i know the 2 ladies who work the front desk.

a newbie comes along and asked the lady if he could buy his ticket on the boat.

the lady tells him no, as she makes maybe 5 baht commision from farang punters.

for a millisecond i had thoughts of tuning this guy in and telling him to buy on the boat.

i then thought, dont be stupid terry, as this is this lady's lttle bit of cream and the farang will never miss it.

on the other hand if the lady had found out i'd told him that i would of been inviting trouble for sure.

moral of the story is shut the <deleted>> up. :o

give it a CRACK girlx. :D