Family of South African jailed in Thailand remain hopeful

webfact

IOL.jpg

Lynn Blignaut and her daughter, Ashley Oosthuizen.

By Siphokazi Vuso

CAPE TOWN - The mother of Ashley Oosthuizen, who is facing life imprisonment in Thailand for alleged international drug trafficking, says the family is overwhelmed by the support they have been receiving from the public.

Since news of Ashley’s imprisonment broke, her mother, Lynn Blignaut, said messages of support and encouragement had been flowing in.

“Everybody has been amazing with their support and their messages of encouragement. I stand in awe to see all the positive reactions, it shows that so many people actually really do care,” she said.

After matriculating in 2017, Blignaut’s 22-year-old daughter had moved to Thailand in March 2018 to do a Teaching English as a Foreign Language (TEFL) course, so she could teach kindergarten on the island of Koh Samui.

When Oosthuizen was laid off work during the pandemic, Tris Nepps, believed to be her boyfriend and also alleged to be smuggling drugs on the island, had apparently offered her employment at his restaurant.

Full story: https://www.iol.co.za/capetimes/news/family-of-south-african-jailed-in-thailand-remain-hopeful-29816fc1-4297-45fe-814f-222abe7aa0ff

iol2.jpg

-- © Copyright IOL 2022-02-26

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3
  • Haha 1

FAMILY OF WC WOMAN JAILED IN THAILAND FOR DRUGS BELIEVE HER IMPRISONMENT UNJUST

Ashley Oosthuizen was arrested by Thai police in 2020 and was sentenced to death on drug-related charges. The sentence has since been changed to life behind bars.

by Shamiela Fisher

nux6qj0fujnwiismlttj.jpg

Ashley Oosthuizen has been sentenced to life imprisonment on drug-related charges. Picture: Facebook

CAPE TOWN - The family of a George woman who is locked up in Thailand for selling drugs believes that their daughter was unjustly put behind bars as she was at the wrong place at the wrong time.

Ashley Oosthuizen went to Thailand in March 2018 to start a job as a teacher but she was let go from the post and started working at a restaurant owned by her boyfriend.

But Oosthuizen's island life changed in 2020 when she was arrested by Thai police and was sentenced to death on drug-related charges. The sentence has since been changed to life behind bars.

According to her family, the 22-year-old had signed for a package on behalf of her boyfriend. She was arrested and has been in jail ever since.

ewn.jpg

-- © Copyright EYEWITNESS NEWS 2022-02-26

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Sad 1

37 minutes ago, Leadidge said:

What makes her an idiot? Signing for a delivery is a completely normal thing to do. 

I disagree....I'm on a working holiday in a foreign country and somehow I'm Johnny on the spot to sign for a package I know nothing about.?

Not a chance.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3