Letter of RESIDENCY / Buying a new Car / And getting a Thai Driving licence

55 minutes ago, freedomseeker said:

May I know if I can use the same Residence Certificate to open a Bank Account for buying a car/motorcycle? Or I need to get a new Residence Certificate? Thanks.

The "certificate" has a reason stated on it. Eg car license.

I'm sure that the bank would accept it for verification of address.

Note: tip for those using MTT. If your obtaining certificate for car and bike license be aware that on the form that is an option.

If you tick car and bike you will be charged for 2 certificates. 400b.

Just select car license option.

You can use that to obtain both car and bike license. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

The "certificate" has a reason stated on it. Eg car license.

I'm sure that the bank would accept it for verification of address.

Note: tip for those using MTT. If your obtaining certificate for car and bike license be aware that on the form that is an option.

If you tick car and bike you will be charged for 2 certificates. 400b.

Just select car license option.

You can use that to obtain both car and bike license. 

Thanks for the info!

Yes, I just checked with the embassy. Yes, I would need a new Residence Certificate to buy a motorcycle/car. 

• Like 1

Any way for me to obtain a certificate of residence while being on my first month in Thailand on a multiple NON OA visa? I have been in the same hotel the whole time. Need the confirmation for my european and US Banks. Wonder if banks maybe accept a tm30 but then again its just from the hotel I assume hotel does not get a receipt from immigration? Thanks!

Edited by stat

8 minutes ago, stat said:

Wonder if banks maybe accept a tm30 but then again its just from the hotel I assume hotel does not get a receipt from immigration?

Some banks will some not.

I discovered that Bangkok Bank required me to obtain a residence certificate or letter from my embassy. 

That was despite me being on annual extensions from a non O.

Found that Kasikorn were happy with my extension stamp and while I had a lease with me, I don't recall it being significant.

You have a non O-A and think you should try Kasikorn..

BTW, If I was mucked around too much by bank I would just use an agent. 

Yes cost money (approx 4k) but so to does trip to embassy and pay them for letter. 

A trip to immigration for residence certificate is for some inconvenient.

Doubt bank would look at TM30.

Your hotel can give you screenshot of filing your TM30.

Kasikorn (along with many banks) have a English speaking assistance line and the bank staff can connect you. They are helpful..

3 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Some banks will some not.

I discovered that Bangkok Bank required me to obtain a residence certificate or letter from my embassy. 

That was despite me being on annual extensions from a non O.

Found that Kasikorn were happy with my extension stamp and while I had a lease with me, I don't recall it being significant.

You have a non O-A and think you should try Kasikorn..

BTW, If I was mucked around too much by bank I would just use an agent. 

Yes cost money (approx 4k) but so to does trip to embassy and pay them for letter. 

A trip to immigration for residence certificate is for some inconvenient.

Doubt bank would look at TM30.

Your hotel can give you screenshot of filing your TM30.

Kasikorn (along with many banks) have a English speaking assistance line and the bank staff can connect you. They are helpful..

Thanks for your answer. I was referring to US/EU Banks that I already bank with. German banks are the worst as they expect a system like in Germany where one has to register and a tax id which I dont need and want. I just need a statement that I live in TH. Dont think I will get a thai bank account, I am quite happy with my 0% fee added cc.