When is best to renew thai driving license

Bkktodd

8 minutes ago, Odinrex said:

So, if you are pulled over by the BIB with a 10 months expired DL, they won't mind? Or hint about some tea money?

No. not legal to drive. But typically people are out of country or don't drive for other reason while the license expires.

It is expired legally but can be "revived" within one year.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Thanks 1

On 3/6/2022 at 12:03 PM, KhunBENQ said:

No. not legal to drive. But typically people are out of country or don't drive for other reason while the license expires.

It is expired legally but can be "revived" within one year.

Documents required for renewal in Bangkok? 5 year licence expires in one month and was issued in Rayong

Edited by overherebc

2 hours ago, overherebc said:

Documents required for renewal in Bangkok? 5 year licence expires in one month and was issued in Rayong

Can't tell anything Bangkok specific but of course passport, old license, health certificate and some proof of residence.

What I can't explain in detail is that possibility to do some "online course" (DLT eLearning app) replacing the usual watching of videos on site. Some offices require an appointment, others do walk in on first come first serve with quota for foreigners?

Edited by KhunBENQ

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/1/2022 at 2:47 PM, Pattaya Spotter said:

Correct...I think 364 days (within a year) after expiry to be precise. 

What happens if the police pull you over and they won't listen at all and a fine on the spot?

• Sad 1

On 3/12/2022 at 7:25 PM, overherebc said:

Sent you a PM.

Does not work and what happens if driving with an out of date license and seeing reports of 3 months in advance or up to a year. What happens if the police pulls you over? Sorry Sir my appointment is in the future?
thx

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, jwest10 said:

What happens if the police pull you over and they won't listen at all and a fine on the spot?

The "fine" is usually 500 so you could either pay it and avoid further hassle and waste of time or request the ticket and hand over the license and sort everything out later at the police station. Most people would just rather save the time and aggravation and pay the money.

3 hours ago, Pmbkk said:

Can you extend an expired 2 year driving license - just pre Covid ?

Sorry no one has yet answered my original question and can see the site but these days one can not talk to someone or by email but think just have to go directly to my local DLT Kanchanaburi office.

On 3/12/2022 at 11:41 AM, Klonko said:

I assume you have a valid driving license of another country if you drive a vehicle outside Thailand and renew the Thai license in September.

Huh? I can drive for 3 months in my home country using my Thai license.

2 hours ago, jwest10 said:

Sorry no one has yet answered my original question and can see the site but these days one can not talk to someone or by email but think just have to go directly to my local DLT Kanchanaburi office.

My sister in law did offer to get me one for free initially without attending anything many years ago - she works for the govt. I did it the "right" way - maybe my defenses are weakening ????