These Days, have you begun using mouthwash more often? These days, trips to the dentist are not often enough for some. And, from what I have read, a good mouthwash can lessen plaque growth.

My Dear Friends,

In fact, during most of my life, I have never used a mouthwash. The reason for my reluctance to buy mouthwash is that I had been convinced that the advertising behind mouthwash use was hogwash.

And then, recently, I read a few seemingly trustworthy articles which purport to draw a correlation between the use of mouthwash and the reduction of dental plaque, which might lead to decreased tooth decay, etc.

And then, after reading these articles, I hastened out to buy a certain well-known brand of mouthwash which comes in about 4 colors.  Of course, at least in my opinion, there is not reason enough for so many colors, and just the yellow mouthwash should be adequate for most purposes. 

Well, anyway, I just wished to mention this because, during this season of the virus, when it is more difficult to get to the dentist, maybe using mouthwash might do some good, and even a minimal amount of benefit is better than nothing.

I really cannot believe I bought two bottles of mouthwash last time I visited the mall complex. Actually, I paid for one, and received one bottle free, as a promotion.

Now, my breath is kissingly fresh.

I don't use mouthwash every day, but only on odd days of the month, in order to not develop a habit, and to prevent the bacteria in my mouth from becoming resistant to this brand of mouthwash.

I now highly recommend using a decent mouthwash for the purposes advertised on the bottle.

Truly, I do feel better in the mornings, as a result.

Just passing on a bit of folklore, here, which might help others.

Regards,

Glob

Been making my own for years, way better than commercial stuff. Alcohol-based mouthwash isn’t good. Typically, tsp sea salt, tsp sod bicarb and couple drops oregano oil in bottle warm water. Shake. Lasts couple weeks-month. Can add essential oil like peppermint if you like. 
Couple that with mains powered Waterpik and good toothbrush/toothpaste. 

I've recently started using Hydrogen Peroxide diluted, various benefits, i also have dental floss brush things, i dip those in also, game changer I reckon.

Just bought a Water flosser, I'm late to the game but thinking it might stop me having implants eventually

2 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

I've recently started using Hydrogen Peroxide diluted, various benefits, i also have dental floss brush things, i dip those in also, game changer I reckon.

Just bought a Water flosser, I'm late to the game but thinking it might stop me having implants eventually

Careful, please, about not getting too high concentration of hydrogen peroxide.  Too high of a concentration can be quite dangerous, as you know, (if inadvertently ingested).

Edited by GammaGlobulin

Hope you didn't get caught out ! Those 2 for 1 etc are often just twice the price of a single if you look on the shelf. They make this display and people pick off that but back at the shelf it's a different story.Should never be allowed.

Many people use mouth wash straight after cleaning the teeth, which in fact you should not do.

,"Using a mouthwash that contains fluoride can help prevent tooth decay, but don't use mouthwash (even a fluoride one) straight after brushing your teeth or it'll wash away the concentrated fluoride in the toothpaste left on your teeth.*

Source

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Careful, please, about not getting too high concentration of hydrogen peroxide.  Too high of a concentration can be quite dangerous, as you know, (if inadvertently ingested).

Of course, if you buy 3% or 6% check online how much to dilute. Lotus sell 6% for about 40 baht which will make about 3 big bottles of mouth wash

Edited by scubascuba3

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

Of course, if you buy 3% or 6% check online how much to dilute. Lotus sell 6% for about 40 baht which will make about 3 big bottles of mouth wash

Just be very careful, is all that I am saying.

I will not give any concentration here, obviously.

Check with your dentist, and follow her/his advice.

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

Here is an interesting, though not very amusing, cautionary tale concerning ingestion of a higher concentration of hydrogen peroxide...

This guy is legit, and his family is from Taiwan, so you know he is smart:

Enjoy.......

Also, if you wish to know what happened to a woman who ate 23 bananas, this guy, originally from Taiwan, a smart guy who studied in the USA, can tell you.

Edited by GammaGlobulin
  • Haha 1

........a good mouthwash can lessen plaque growth.

I have read that a mouth wash can also disrupt the 'natural' order of things regarding the bacterial populations in your mouth, which in turn can lead to problems.

30 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

........a good mouthwash can lessen plaque growth.

I have read that a mouth wash can also disrupt the 'natural' order of things regarding the bacterial populations in your mouth, which in turn can lead to problems.

Please post the links to the information you have read so that readers here can gain further insight concerning what you suggest, that the use of mouthwash may lead to problems.

Whether or not the regular use of mouthwash has positive or negative consequences, or both, seems certain.

There are certainly negative effects which result from the use of anything which has positive effects. 

This includes mother's milk, in some cases.  Mother's milk is not bad, yet, in some instances, it might lead to unexpected negative outcomes.

7 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Please post the links to the information you have read so that readers here can gain further insight concerning what you suggest, that the use of mouthwash may lead to problems.

Whether or not the regular use of mouthwash has positive or negative consequences, or both, seems certain.

There are certainly negative effects which result from the use of anything which has positive effects. 

This includes mother's milk, in some cases.  Mother's milk is not bad, yet, in some instances, it might lead to unexpected negative outcomes.

Screen Shot 2022-03-03 at 09.57.43.jpg

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41415-019-0036-x

I find commercially produced mouthwashes too - what? - astringent - I guess. 

Dental floss and a good brush used on both teeth and tongue seems to do the trick most of the time.

On rare occasions I make a mild mouthwash by simply boiling a few cloves in water, nothing else. 

And as instructed by the Health & Safety Executive I must emphasise that the extracted liquid must be allowed to cool before use.  

????????????

2 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Just be very careful, is all that I am saying.

I will not give any concentration here, obviously.

Check with your dentist, and follow her/his advice.

Of course be careful, also recommended you be careful with petrol, don't drink it or poke yourself in the eye with a pencil

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Of course be careful, also recommended you be careful with petrol, don't drink it or poke yourself in the eye with a pencil

Penetrating trauma from writing instruments, such as a pencil, is not an uncommon source of injury and often requires surgical intervention to remove the object. Injuries from pens and pencils can be severe or even fatal, as you POINT out.