Charismatic Thai cop in classic photo-op - Big Joke to the rescue in Isaan busting loan sharks

webfact

2pm.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

It was classic Big Joke in the north east of Thailand yesterday.

As the cameras rolled and reporters preyed on his every move, Pol Lt-Gen Surachate Hakpan - always known as Big Joke - listened to the plight of a poor Khon Kaen woman, reported Thai Rath.

The charismatic cop was with other top brass cowering in deference before Uthai Saensila, 64, who had fallen victim to loan sharks.

Uthai related how she had been married to a cop who died in 2011. Now she was left looking after her 29 year old handicapped son selling boiled corn and sweets to make ends meet.

But they were always short of money and when she saw a leaflet blowing in the road advertising loans she replied.

In the end she approached four companies and got 25,000 baht.

Sometimes she could pay the 1,050 daily interest. Sometimes she couldn't.

Until one day a gang member came round and threatened her and said he'd take away her fridge if she didn't pay up.

She then decided to go to the police. 

Surachate said that gangs in the north east were charging 60% interest.

So far he and other teams had busted 9 loan shark operations across four provinces - Khon Kaen, Udon Thani, Nakhon Phanom and Nong Khai.

A total of 38 arrests have been made and Surachate warned others and those who facilitated their operations that he was coming for them all. 

Surachate - once head of immigration and deputy leader of the tourist police - fell from grace in 2019.

But he is now back in the RTP fold big time being seen busting all manner of crime throughout Thailand.

And those cameras are always rolling. 

Aetna Platinum+ Light on premium, great on coverage

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-03-04

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

54 minutes ago, webfact said:

But he is now back in the RTP fold big time being seen busting all manner of crime throughout Thailand.

He seems to be a 'jack-of-all-crusades'.

I wonder what rank he started off at and how quickly did he manage to get where is now. 

1 hour ago, webfact said:

Sometimes she could pay the 1,050 daily interest.

None of those figures add-up.

I do wish they had better reporting----if she had pay over 1,000baht  a day its 120% interest, a month.

Loan sharking is Asian-- probably bigger in Issan then most places--I have used it once. The rate (like all loans )  goes on security "what you got"

That poor lady has nothing -But a fridge. ... but I really haven't heard of 120% a month, seems like mad figures--you have paid the loan back in interest in 16 days.....and just got to be  skeptical when ever Big Joke is around sorting it all out.

1 hour ago, ALLSEEINGEYE said:

Please, please just stop constantly referring to this guy as charismatic!!!!

Just give us the news without trying to build him up to be more than he is.

I prefer the term 'EgoCop'

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Will B Good said:

Must be awkward in the canteen when the loan shark turns out to be an RTP colleague......

She obviously didn't learn much from the old man before his passing.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, webfact said:

when she saw a leaflet blowing in the road advertising loans she replied.

We have them blowing round from time to time , I am just waiting for one of Thailands finest to stop and pick one up , look at the telephone number and investigate the loan shark.

Edited by NE1

21 hours ago, sanuk711 said:

None of those figures add-up.

I do wish they had better reporting----if she had pay over 1,000baht  a day its 120% interest, a month.

More than one loan

22 hours ago, webfact said:

In the end she approached four companies and got 25,000 baht.

60% interest on 25,000 = 15,000 / 12 months =  1250 a month + daily interest when not paid. :coffee1: Edit ; and that is just the interest with nothing being paid off the original loan.

Edited by brianthainess
  • Thanks 1