Human trafficking: Teen 'madam' aged just 15 arrested for offering under 18s for sex on Instagram

webfact

20 hours ago, BangkokReady said:
20 hours ago, hotchilli said:

The worlds oldest profession, Thailand is not alone.

But possibly has a higher rate due to various cultural factors coming together.

You've got something empirical to base that suggestion on, presumably? 

What are the "various Thai cultural factors" that you're claiming propagate child prostitution?

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

What are the "various Thai cultural factors" that you're claiming propagate child prostitution?

Yes, it was in the New York TImes

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Can anybody please explain when prostitution and pimping is considered to be human trafficking?

At least for me human trafficking is something like smuggling humans over borders or something similar.

Come on, I can't believe that you really need to ask that question, maybe it was rhetorical, yes?  If it wasn't, why ask here when there are reliable, (sort of) credible sources of real information?...

"Human trafficking is the trade of humans for the purpose of forced labour, sexual slavery, or commercial sexual exploitation for the trafficker or others".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_trafficking#:~:text=Human trafficking is the trade,for the trafficker or others.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Come on, I can't believe that you really need to ask that question, maybe it was rhetorical, yes?  If it wasn't, why ask here when there are reliable, (sort of) credible sources of real information?...

"Human trafficking is the trade of humans for the purpose of forced labour, sexual slavery, or commercial sexual exploitation for the trafficker or others".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_trafficking#:~:text=Human trafficking is the trade,for the trafficker or others.

But that does not explain why prostitution and pimping is considered to be human trafficking, does it? 

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:
10 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Yes, it was in the New York TImes

Hahahaha!    You've got something empirical to base that claim on, presumably?   Just answering, "Yes...", without back up, doesn't go anywhere near making it factual.     

• Confused 1

20 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Can anybody please explain when prostitution and pimping is considered to be human trafficking?

At least for me human trafficking is something like smuggling humans over borders or something similar.

Both crimes should be punished but as far as I see it they are different. 

Can be different and also part of the same thing. There are often situations where entrapment creates a situation where once in is not easy to escape.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nojohndoe said:

Can be different and also part of the same thing. There are often situations where entrapment creates a situation where once in is not easy to escape.

Certainly there are women and girls that are trafficked for the purpose of prostitution, but clearly prostitution in and of itself is not trafficking, and should not be referred to as such.   

11 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Certainly there are women and girls that are trafficked for the purpose of prostitution, but clearly prostitution in and of itself is not trafficking, and should not be referred to as such.   

You did note I said" can be part" of the same thing? In those instance where females are "trafficked" into prostitution it is part of that side of the industry distinct from the "act" of prostitution.

In a past era of life South East Asian I was involved in a couple of "rescues" of very under aged girls. They were being prostituted but were not prostitutes. They were sex slaves.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Why would I need that?

2 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Did I specify child prostitution?  Do you have something empirical to base that assumption on?

2 hours ago, Nojohndoe said:

You did note I said" can be part" of the same thing? In those instance where females are "trafficked" into prostitution it is part of that side of the industry distinct from the "act" of prostitution.

In a past era of life South East Asian I was involved in a couple of "rescues" of very under aged girls. They were being prostituted but were not prostitutes. They were sex slaves.

I noted that, but as I remember it, you were responding to the question as to why pimping and prostitution is referred to as trafficking. You're response did not address that.  

And this reference was not a one-off. The press has begun to routinely refer to prostitutes as being trafficked. I think it is intentional, and I think it does nothing but hurt women/girls/anyone that is a real victim of human trafficking to call a refer to a 40 year old drug addict streetwalker born in Chicago and selling it in Chicago as a victim of trafficking. I would agree they may well be victims, but they are certainly not victims of trafficking. 

Do you disagree? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Yellowtail said:

I noted that, but as I remember it, you were responding to the question as to why pimping and prostitution is referred to as trafficking. You're response did not address that.  

And this reference was not a one-off. The press has begun to routinely refer to prostitutes as being trafficked. I think it is intentional, and I think it does nothing but hurt women/girls/anyone that is a real victim of human trafficking to call a refer to a 40 year old drug addict streetwalker born in Chicago and selling it in Chicago as a victim of trafficking. I would agree they may well be victims, but they are certainly not victims of trafficking. 

Do you disagree? 

Not disagree as to the distinction in circumstance .

On 3/8/2022 at 12:09 PM, ThailandRyan said:

She must have learned from a family member or had experience already in the business, so sad either way.  Seems that this type of work has become ingrained in society and is done by school girls, boys, college folks trying to pay their way and then ......well it is what it is.

Pussy always meant money here. pimping open to all here, easy money & accepted by culture here. 

1 hour ago, Yellowtail said:

I don't know what this means. Can you explain it? If so, would you please? 

The freelance (drug addict or not ) hooker (prostitute) is working voluntarily on her own behalf due to circumstances created by her own choices. A person who is forced to provide same services under threat, entrapment or duress may be viewed by the customer/public as a prostitute but in the unknown reality they are slave  victims of trafficking.

Trafficking does not necessarily  mean cross border either. Many countries have significant  numbers of children and young teens that just get added to the list of "missing persons" who if found at some later time who have been sexually exploited while environmentally imprisoned.

I don't  feel the need to explain my perspective further but I hope you understand it regardless of agreement or not.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I remember a few years ago my wife being shocked by something that happened in her village - and it takes a lot to shock my wife.

Basically one of girls in the village, around 14-15 years old wanted some money. She went around the village asking various men if they wanted sex with her for 1000THB.  She got no takers. In desperation she went to her father, who was working in a field, and asked if HE would give her 1000THB in return for sex. Apparently there were several witnesses to this.

In addition to this the old Pu-yaa-baan was known for his fondness for schoolgirls and would often disappear in the afternoon at school closing time. Everyone was aware, including his wife, who cursed him for it but put up with it....

11 minutes ago, HauptmannUK said:

I remember a few years ago my wife being shocked by something that happened in her village - and it takes a lot to shock my wife.

Basically one of girls in the village, around 14-15 years old wanted some money. She went around the village asking various men if they wanted sex with her for 1000THB.  She got no takers. In desperation she went to her father, who was working in a field, and asked if HE would give her 1000THB in return for sex. Apparently there were several witnesses to this.

In addition to this the old Pu-yaa-baan was known for his fondness for schoolgirls and would often disappear in the afternoon at school closing time. Everyone was aware, including his wife, who cursed him for it but put up with it....

That is shocking. That a 14-15 year old girl can walk all over town offering to have sex with anyone for B1,000 and got no takers.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

But that does not explain why prostitution and pimping is considered to be human trafficking, does it? 

It isn't.  They are two very different things.  Really not that hard to get your head around is it??

On 3/8/2022 at 4:21 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

When I arrived in Thailand in the 90th 16 year old girls were not unusual in the farang bars. And I am sure they were not unusual at all in Thai entertainment businesses.

They are still found in the industrial areas on the Eastern Seaboard in local bars and karaoke joints. 

It existed before, even MP went to jail for it. Poverty, money, status, who knows. Many families lost their job during this covid thing, none of the were government officials. What about the many UK girls who have kids at 16 and get social welfare? 

14 minutes ago, SomchaiCNX said:

It existed before, even MP went to jail for it. Poverty, money, status, who knows. Many families lost their job during this covid thing, none of the were government officials. What about the many UK girls who have kids at 16 and get social welfare? 

Are they being trafficked or just exploited for political power? 

19 hours ago, BangkokReady said:
22 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Don't forget the western countries, also!

No, that was not an assertion, it was a recommendation that you and your "cultural factors" should bear in mind when Thai-bashing.   It is claims, assertions or suggestions that are best accompanied by evidence for credibility.

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Haha 1

Why would I need that?   

How about for a bit of credibility?

Did I specify child prostitution?  Do you have something empirical to base that assumption on?

You didn't need to specify that and, yes, I do have something empirical,  the thread that you posted your comment on is about child prostitution!

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

How about for a bit of credibility?

You didn't need to specify that and, yes, I do have something empirical,  the thread that you posted your comment on is about child prostitution!

No, there is no mention of prostitution, nor any mention of children. 

The article is about trafficking girls under 18 for sex on Instagram.  

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

No, there is no mention of prostitution, nor any mention of children. 

The article is about trafficking girls under 18 for sex on Instagram.  

I.e. child prostitution.  See the reference in the very first paragraph to underage prostitution?  Or don't you know the meaning of the phrase "human trafficking"?

"The chairman of the anti-human trafficking group Ronnasit Foundation, Ronnasit Phreuksayachiwa and Thai police have arrested a 15 year old girl". 

Edited by Liverpool Lou

11 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

I.e. child prostitution.  See the reference in the very first paragraph to underage prostitution?  Or don't you know the meaning of the phrase "human trafficking"?

"The chairman of the anti-human trafficking group Ronnasit Foundation, Ronnasit Phreuksayachiwa and Thai police have arrested a 15 year old girl". 

Yes, but she was trafficking other girls, not prostituting herself.

The age of consent is 15 in Thailand, yes?  

• Sad 1