Blood sugar levels are too high

Confuscious

Like every month, I went today to the hospital in order to do a monthly checkup and to receive my medicine precribed for another month.
My Blood Sugar levels are rising a few months already, and today it was 198 BS.

I would like to know if other members know a product (preferred are natural products) to lower the blood sugar levels.
TIA

Edited by Confuscious
enter unexpected

No natural products will help much, at 198, is that fasting? That's really high

Berberine might help but health implications from high blood sugars is really deleterious, so I would seek medical help. 

Edited by dj230
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You're into diabetic territory sooner rather than later if that reading is consistent and accurate after fasting. First step if you are a drinker, cut the booze, especially beer, to as close to zero as possible. Second, regular exercise. Third, look closely at your diet - ideally plenty of veg and fruit, little meat, especially red meat, cut portions of carbs (rice, potatoes, bread) and cut out comfort food, especially crisps, chips, other highly processed food - substitute local snacks if you must snack, they are generally less harmful. Monitor your blood sugar once a week, there are simple kits for sale on Lazada to do it yourself.

1 hour ago, HappyExpat57 said:

I'm a type 2 diabetic but didn't know it some years ago. Damn shame of a coincidence, I decided to cut white rice out of my diet and lost an AMAZING amount of weight in an unbelievably short time. I started developing other problems, went to the doctor, and bingo - diabetes. I now have irreparable nerve damage to my feet, hence a minimum 25 kilometers of aggressive push biking daily with an aforementioned diet, and it's now manageable. Never too late to get it under control.

Nicely done most people just want to pop a pill but you did it in a great way.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, dj230 said:

No natural products will help much, at 198, is that fasting? That's really high

Berberine might help but health implications from high blood sugars is really deleterious, so I would seek medical help. 

The high BS was detected today at the hospital in a monthly checkup.
According to the doctor there is nothing to worry about at this point as such BS levels are normal for a person with 68 years.
Last month BS level was 126.

8 hours ago, Sheryl said:

If however it was a fasting level (as is usual for check up) then OP is diabetic.

OP there are no "natural"  products you can take for this that will do the trick, but increased exercise, weight loss and following a proper diabetic diet might (emphasis on "might") enable you to avoid medication.

Untreated diabetes puts you at risk of heart disease, kidney disease/failure, vascular disease (often requiring amputation) and blindness to mention just a few. Do not take this casually.

I have a kidney disease since birth and I take medication for that kidney disease.
At this moment, I am in grade 3.5.

I also have a hereditary blood disease for which I take Worfarin.

My blood vessels have been replaced from the Heart to the legs and to all organs in 2018.

I have also a Pacemaker since 1997 and I an FORBIDDEN to do any exercise that would put strengt on my heart.

I have at the moment Diabetes 2, and I take medication to reduce the BS level.
But I would like to know if there is a NATURAL medication to help reduce the BS level.

8 hours ago, robblok said:

You will probably have to change your diet and do some exercise. Like others have said berberine could help but i would advise to change your diet and do some exercise.

What do you normally eat ?

Salt and sugar free diet (food and drinks).
Exercise is forbidden for me unless is it light ecercise which is not putting strength in the heart.
I eat normally:
1. A light breakfast (toast, corn flakes, non processed meat and eggs).
   Sometimes also beans in tomato sauce and/or french fries.
2. A full (mostly Thai) meal at midday.
    Mostly a scoopr of rice with 2 selected (sugar and salt free) toppings.
3. At dinner I eat mostly yoghurt or fruit salad.

I drink with most of these meals Unsweetened Soya milk.

8 hours ago, SheikYabodyline said:

You're into diabetic territory sooner rather than later if that reading is consistent and accurate after fasting. First step if you are a drinker, cut the booze, especially beer, to as close to zero as possible. Second, regular exercise. Third, look closely at your diet - ideally plenty of veg and fruit, little meat, especially red meat, cut portions of carbs (rice, potatoes, bread) and cut out comfort food, especially crisps, chips, other highly processed food - substitute local snacks if you must snack, they are generally less harmful. Monitor your blood sugar once a week, there are simple kits for sale on Lazada to do it yourself.

Most of these things are not in my regular menu.
I don't drink beer.
Only every week 2 gkasses of white wine (meeting at the local restaurant with friends).
I have a BS tester and I use it every day.

2 hours ago, Confuscious said:

According to the doctor there is nothing to worry about at this point as such BS levels are normal for a person with 68 years.

Not much natural things you can take I'm afraid, if you try berberine, I'd consult a doctor first to make sure it doesn't interfere with anything else you're taking.

Only other thing I can think of is if you're getting all your vitamins/minerals, enough protein, as those are all essential to controlling blood sugars properly. 

10 hours ago, Confuscious said:

Salt and sugar free diet (food and drinks).
Exercise is forbidden for me unless is it light ecercise which is not putting strength in the heart.
I eat normally:
1. A light breakfast (toast, corn flakes, non processed meat and eggs).
   Sometimes also beans in tomato sauce and/or french fries.
2. A full (mostly Thai) meal at midday.
    Mostly a scoopr of rice with 2 selected (sugar and salt free) toppings.
3. At dinner I eat mostly yoghurt or fruit salad.

I drink with most of these meals Unsweetened Soya milk.

I would substitute some of those carbs (read higher sugar foods)  for a protein and or fat - you seem to have very little in the way of either from this summary glance at your diet

Try a piece or meat/ fish in the evening, if not viable ensure your fruits are VERY high fibre and your yoghurt is not the low fat sugar loaded <deleted> found in the 7-11

Also stay away from Soy (not soya BTW) milk as it is nutritionally garbage - 

12 hours ago, Confuscious said:

A fasting (please clarify if this was fasting!) BS of 198 is NOT normal for a person of 68 or any other age. Even for a diabetic, it is well above the target range for diabetes control, which is 80 to 130 .

HB1Ac is a better way to monitor progress in controlling BS than fasting glucose as BS levels can fluctuate daily, the HB1Ac gives an overall picture independent if daily ups and downs.

Frankly I think you should change doctors, especially given that you already have kidney and vascular disease. You need more aggressive control of your diabetes. Where in Thailand do you live?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Confuscious said:

I have a kidney disease since birth and I take medication for that kidney disease.
At this moment, I am in grade 3.5.

I also have a hereditary blood disease for which I take Worfarin.

My blood vessels have been replaced from the Heart to the legs and to all organs in 2018.

I have also a Pacemaker since 1997 and I an FORBIDDEN to do any exercise that would put strengt on my heart.

I have at the moment Diabetes 2, and I take medication to reduce the BS level.
But I would like to know if there is a NATURAL medication to help reduce the BS level.

No, there is no "natural" medication which is likaly to help.

From what you post elsewhere on your diet is not too bad  but you could reduce processed carbs a bit (e.g. drop the corn flakes, french fires, switch to brown rice and if not already, whole wheat toast and just 1 slice etc)

But mainly I think your meds need adjusting. Maybe just dosage, maybe adding an additional med. With Stage 3.5 CKD  aggressive control of BS (and if necessary, blood pressure) is indicated.

I also think you may have an exaggerated understanding re exercise. Certainly you should not do heavy aerobic exercise but walking -- even brisk walking -- should be absolutely fine and would not strain your heart.  Try to walk twice a day, morning and evening when the heat is less (or if you prefer, go top an air conditioned mall and walk around there). If while walking you get out of breath or your pulse climbs over 100, slow the pace or take a break, then resume. Try to get in 5,000 - 10,000 steps everyday (you can download a step tracker onto your phone).

There is a huge difference between avoiding exercise that strains the heart and being forbidden all exercise. Being completely sedentary will make your diabetes harder to control and is very bad for your heart.

3 hours ago, Sheryl said:

A fasting (please clarify if this was fasting!) BS of 198 is NOT normal for a person of 68 or any other age. Even for a diabetic, it is well above the target range for diabetes control, which is 80 to 130 .

HB1Ac is a better way to monitor progress in controlling BS than fasting glucose as BS levels can fluctuate daily, the HB1Ac gives an overall picture independent if daily ups and downs.

Frankly I think you should change doctors, especially given that you already have kidney and vascular disease. You need more aggressive control of your diabetes. Where in Thailand do you live?

Will send you a PM later from home with the details.

What is HB1Ac?

Can I request at the hospital next month q HB1AC test?

2 hours ago, Confuscious said:

Will send you a PM later from home with the details.

What is HB1Ac?

Can I request at the hospital next month q HB1AC test?

HB1Ac is a measure of your average blood sugar over the prior 3 months.

Unlike blood glucose, it does not have to be done before eating, it can be done at any  time and is not affected by meals. In addition, because it shows what your blood sugar has been on average over time, it is not affected by temporary events whereas fasting BS can be.

For many years now, the HB1Ac has been the "gold standard" for managing diabetes. It sounds like the care you have been getting is rather sub-par.

Any laboratory can do HB1Ac, costs maybe a few hundred baht. For a diabetic, the ideal range is below 6.5% but anything below 7.0% is acceptable. Over 7.0% means your meds/diet need adjusting.

As to hospital it depends - if you are getting care at a government hospital through the public  channel, you can't request anything, they will order what they think you need and the protocols are very much dictated by cost and also often behind the times.

If you are going to a private hospital - or using the private (after hours) channel of a government hospital then you can request but much more importantly the doctor managing your diabetes should have already been doing this, hence my suggestion that you change doctors.

From https://www.singlecare.com/blog/normal-blood-glucose-levels/:
Adults who are 20 years or older will have blood sugar levels that range between less than 100-180 mg/dL over the course of a day. When you wake up in the morning, your fasting blood sugar should be at its lowest because you haven’t consumed food for about eight hours. If you’re an adult and struggling with glucose control, your healthcare provider can help you develop a treatment plan to manage your blood sugar better.   
Many people won’t start to experience symptoms from high blood sugar until their levels are at 250 mg/dL or higher. The highest blood sugar level that’s considered safe will depend on the person and whether they have diabetes, but will typically be between 160 to 240 mg/dL. 

"
Only exercise if there are no ketones present in the bloodstream. You can check if you have ketones with a urine test or blood glucose meter."

On 3/11/2022 at 5:10 PM, Confuscious said:

From https://www.singlecare.com/blog/normal-blood-glucose-levels/:
Adults who are 20 years or older will have blood sugar levels that range between less than 100-180 mg/dL over the course of a day. When you wake up in the morning, your fasting blood sugar should be at its lowest because you haven’t consumed food for about eight hours. If you’re an adult and struggling with glucose control, your healthcare provider can help you develop a treatment plan to manage your blood sugar better.   
Many people won’t start to experience symptoms from high blood sugar until their levels are at 250 mg/dL or higher. The highest blood sugar level that’s considered safe will depend on the person and whether they have diabetes, but will typically be between 160 to 240 mg/dL. 

"
Only exercise if there are no ketones present in the bloodstream. You can check if you have ketones with a urine test or blood glucose meter."

You come for advice, yet actively seek to just disprove the advice given.

Also you have cherry picked parts of the whole article - your diet is less than ideal 

Edited by eezergood

5 hours ago, eezergood said:

You come for advice, yet actively seek to just disprove the advice given.

Also you have cherry picked parts of the whole article - your diet is less than ideal 

FYI, I read and took all the advice seriously.

What you quote is an article that says that higher blood levels are normal in older people (like my doctor said).

Why should I take the advices here as the only right advice?

This article also talks about KETO and even forbid exercise when KETO levels are above normal.

6 hours ago, Confuscious said:

FYI, I read and took all the advice seriously.

What you quote is an article that says that higher blood levels are normal in older people (like my doctor said).

Why should I take the advices here as the only right advice?

This article also talks about KETO and even forbid exercise when KETO levels are above normal.

That is not at all what it says.

Neither it nor any other valid medical source use a different scale for blood sugars in the elderly versus younger adults.

The article you quote clearly says that a normal fasting blood sugar for adults (any age) is below 100. Only within 1-2 hours after eating is it normal to go as high as 180.

The reference to the "highest blood sugar that is safe" is not referring to fasting levels but levels after meals and also to safety in the moment as opposed to what is safe to average over an extended period of time.

Nothing in this article contradicts what every other article will tell you: it is important for diabetics to control their blood sugars to avoid serious long term complications like kidney damage, heart disease, vascular disease etc.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, seff55 said:

Go keto or carnivore... fastest, natural way to normal levels.. my moma reversed her diabetes on a ketogenic diet.

I try to learn more on Keto.
Sounds interesting.
Heared from many people how they started to feel better with a Keto diet.

18 hours ago, Sheryl said:

That is not at all what it says.

Neither it nor any other valid medical source use a different scale for blood sugars in the elderly versus younger adults.

The article you quote clearly says that a normal fasting blood sugar for adults (any age) is below 100. Only within 1-2 hours after eating is it normal to go as high as 180.

The reference to the "highest blood sugar that is safe" is not referring to fasting levels but levels after meals and also to safety in the moment as opposed to what is safe to average over an extended period of time.

Nothing in this article contradicts what every other article will tell you: it is important for diabetics to control their blood sugars to avoid serious long term complications like kidney damage, heart disease, vascular disease etc.

Thanks - was late back to the discussion, but yes what you said.

I would simply knock out the cornflakes & yoghurt and replace with "real food" - again protein and fat, eggs maybe a few times a week and start walking. 

18 hours ago, Confuscious said:

I try to learn more on Keto.
Sounds interesting.
Heared from many people how they started to feel better with a Keto diet.

yet you want to avoid ketones in your system due to concerns from Ketoacidosis ? which is a (small but real) concern if your blood sugar levels are not under control.