So I hit a brake checker

wprime

So I hit a brake checker today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NECucC1XefI&t=160s

The video starts just before impact but you can see the incident which angered him at 2:15 (using my horn to warn him to alert him I was there as his body language indicated he would cut into my path), so he decided the clever thing to do would be to chase after me and cut less than a meter in front of a 2 tonne SUV and brake.

Police at Hua Mak station said if I don't agree to do 50:50, they would hold me at fault and fine me.

Thoughts? Fair judgement or a case of blame the farang?

Edited by wprime

Just now, lopburi3 said:

Have the police seen the full tape by chance?  

I showed them a bit and they told him bikes aren't allowed on the bridge but they said what happened before is irrelevant.

You are not a judge. Him driving on a bridge or break checking doesn't allow you to hit him even you knew to avoid it. 50/50 is your outcome.

The police be real if they fine the guy for breaking other traffic rules aside of that but TiT.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Like 2

Do you have first class insurance?

Then don't accept any fault and just let them deal with it.

Without first class insurance I would probably do the 50/50 deal. Obviously he provoked it and should be liable, but about how much damage are we talking here? Maybe 5000 baht, so 50/50 = 2500 baht, for this I wouldn't go through the trouble of court etc.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Banana7 said:

The braking was insufficient.

Would you have been able to stop?? I guess he was less then 1 meter for the car and hit the brakes.

Edited by MJCM
  • Like 1

I would inform the DLT that a licensed motorcycle taxi (yellow license plate) is riding on bridges where it's not allowed, doesn't have a working rear light, and causes accidents on purpose, this might result in an extra fine for him and maybe a reeducation session on how to behave as a taxi.

Edited by FriendlyFarang
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

Just now, ChaiyaTH said:

You are not a judge. Him driving on a bridge or break checking doesn't allow you to hit him even you knew to avoid it. 50/50 is your outcome.

I didn't make the bridge comment, the police did.

I didn't hit him deliberately either, motorbikes cut in all the time, I just expect them to go, I don't expect they'll suddenly brake to a stop for no reason less than a second after cutting in front.

Just now, FriendlyFarang said:

Do you have first class insurance?

Then don't accept any fault and just let them deal with it.

Without first class insurance I would probably do the 50/50 deal. Obviously he provoked it and should be liable, but about how much damage are we talking here? Maybe 5000 baht, so 50/50 = 2500 baht, for this I wouldn't go through the trouble of court etc.

I have 1st class but I have a perfect record on this car since new so I have a substantial discount that I hadn't wanted to lose.

19 minutes ago, MJCM said:

Would you have been able to stop?? I guess he was less then 1 meter for the car and hit the brakes.

Absolutely I would have braked harder. Been many times in same situation. Only reason not be at fault by hitting from behind is that you slide into him, leaving rubber on the road, as the wheels locked. MC had to brake because car in front of him had been braking. MC wanted to follow at a safe distance. I suspect the reason the Police offered you a 50/50 deal is because MC did not signal lane change.

Edited by Banana7

Just now, tgw said:

do the 50:50 if it's a couple thousand max.

you were in the wrong when coming down the bridge - you had plenty of time to brake and why do you think you should honk at overtaking motorcycles? does the road belong to you?

technically you were again in the wrong when you hit him.

drive more courteously and book it under "lessons learned".

Same when he takes over car and minivan at 1:50 with little space + then he almost pushes the pink taxi on the side to get around the corner.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Hamus Yaigh said:

At 2:15 even tho the motorbike was cutting in your path.

The motorbike didn't even see him coming, he came back later on because he likely got shocked and angry of being nearly hit, to then actually be hit for no reason.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

Seems you had plenty of time to brake to avoid hitting him. The original beep was pretty aggressive as well you could have just eased off the gas and let him go.

The brake check move by him was really stupid, but what do you expect here? It's best to accept you're sharing the roads with people with the mentality of a petulant 13 year old and not get involved. 

I'd agree to the 50:50 and take it as a lesson learnt to chill out a bit.

• Like 2

I see it everyday, forget the rules, that system doesn't' work here.. Yes, the guy is a moron and probably should of been bounced further, but..... as suggested in comments, 'pay a few bucks & avoid the headache', and be thankful they didn't throw sand in the vaseline

Edited by MarcusL
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, wprime said:

Fair judgement or a case of blame the farang?

Fair judgement and count yourself lucky, SUV driver more in the wrong here, driving like a typical hot headed SUV driver. Ease up or you'll have a serious crash one day. The guy on the bike probably wanted to advise you so.

• Like 1

OOOhh..

I don't think the OP was expecting this judgement of his peers..

There were not so many comments so i read them first, thinking to watch video afterwards.

No need, seeing everyone so far thinks the OP was overly aggressive.

• Like 1