So Much Airforce Activity Here

Brewster67

Having lived here for 12 years, I have to say I have NEVER heard so much activity in the air here in Korat.

There is a Royal Thai Airbase here on the other side of the city from me yet I barely ever hear any aircraft.

For the past 5 days or so I am hearing constant activity right above our house, in fact we have just had a 30 minute wave of it and I can still hear it as I type.

The Cobra Gold exercises were going on here but ended on the 5th and they were seriously scaled down and were based on humanitarian relief and included virtually zero air assets.

What with all that is happening at the moment in the world, you have to wonder if certain people know something nobody else knows.

Are air assets of war being not so 'quietly' put in place?

• Haha 2

My relatives are living in Korat next to airport and when I'm visiting them, there always army jets flying over my head. And on multiple occasions I was told, that they are currently training with Americans. And this dates back to 2014. So nothing new in Korat. Although I can't comment on the current scale.

47 minutes ago, AndyAndyAndy said:

My relatives are living in Korat next to airport and when I'm visiting them, there always army jets flying over my head. And on multiple occasions I was told, that they are currently training with Americans. And this dates back to 2014. So nothing new in Korat. Although I can't comment on the current scale.

I live on the other side of town from the airbase and never hear anything other than the occasional plane maybe once a month, but over the last 5 days the rumbling is probably closer to 30 times per day... Also Cobra Gold is over and even during the exercises you barely heard anything.

When living in Udon Thani, Wing 23 did almost daily touch & goes.  Same where I am now, Wing 5, PKK, and doing touch & goes almost daily.

Maybe Singapore is hanging out for some additional training.   They used to come to Udon Thani once or twice a year for training.

• Like 2

Brewster - where are you ? I used to live at the Korat Hotel Resort, say between the Zoo and Dan Kwian - guessing that's about 20 km East of 'Wing One' - we often heard the planes overhead.

Maybe there's some extra activity following Cobra Gold but I'm sure, it's nothing to do with problems in Ukraine.

I worked briefly at 'Line International' in Hua Tha Lei and it was deafening as they came in over the Factory.

ATB

"Over the village":

At least 1 supersonic bang on tuesday, 3 yesterday.

A few decoy flares ejected yesterday with plenty of hard maneuvering going on up in the blue.

Yesterday, 1k west of village 500-1000 ft.......an F-15.

Banked, climbed to about 5000' and performed a few wide, fast turns before heading away.

Perhaps a trial flight to show what they could have in lieu of the F-35s they're not going to get?

Cheap F-15s going 2nd hand due to ROKAF currently operating them, but has just completed deployment of its 40 F-35s?

Edited by Enoon

1 hour ago, Brewster67 said:

the New Endowment for Democracy which is none other than the US funding arm for regime change worldwide and they don't hide it. So next time you ban me for 7 days for misinformation please do some research first.

Is that a re-branding of USAid ... ????

21 minutes ago, Enoon said:

"Over the village":

At least 1 supersonic bang on tuesday, 3 yesterday.

A few decoy flares ejected yesterday with plenty of hard maneuvering going on up in the blue.

Yesterday, 1k west of village 500-1000 ft.......an F-15.

Banked, climbed to about 5000' and performed a few wide, fast turns before heading away.

Perhaps a trial flight to show what they could have in lieu of the F-35s they're not going to get?

Cheap F-15s going 2nd hand due to ROKAF currently operating them, but has just completed deployment of its 40 F-35s?

Damn ... All I ever get snaps of  ..... 

DSC02735.jpg

DSC02733.jpg

DSC06657-3DN.jpg

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

They have to remain prepared, as there is a constant threat from Burma, Malaysia, Cambodia, Laos and Vietnam. Possibly even China and Russia too!

You missed the biggest one IMO...... just over 120 miles off of the coast line........ The biggest Muslim country in the world.

53 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Damn ... All I ever get snaps of  ..... 

DSC02735.jpg

DSC02733.jpg

DSC06657-3DN.jpg

Nice pics

Nice cargo plane for short runaways, and also a popular skydiving plane.

I believe Thai Police use it also

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, sanuk711 said:

You missed the biggest one IMO...... just over 120 miles off of the coast line........ The biggest Muslim country in the world.

None of the ASEAN countries are a threat.  Indonesia ... seriously.  Guessing you're Anti-Muzzy for some reason.  Plenty of them right here in country, and all get along fine, except the idiots down S, that don't represent Thai followers of Islam.

Been down S and nobody bats an eye at my honky a$$.  So Thais have nothing to worry about.  Damn tasty Massaman & Roti.

China has no qualms with anyone, just a challenge feeding 1.4B people, hence the sea issues.  Russia is a non-issue, and got enough of their own problems.  After Afghan war, the people don't want another drawn out anything.  Ukraine will pass fast enough.

Myanmar & Cambodia, OK, have a border issue now and then, but no threat, both knowing the USA would be here in a heartbeat, if more than a few mortar shells were thrown back & forth.  That goes for any local threat, except China.  USA citizens wouldn't tolerate another Vietnam or Iraq, especially over Thailand.  Most couldn't find it on a map.

Most countries realize, invade & occupy simply doesn't work.  With Russia getting spanked, most won't risk their economy & more importantly, their political jobs being jeopardized.  

People need to fear their own govt, as their real enemy.  Everyday they are stripped more and more of their rights, civic freedom, privacy, buying power, education opportunities, and access to information.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

They have to remain prepared, as there is a constant threat from Burma, Malaysia, Cambodia, Laos and Vietnam. Possibly even China and Russia too!

They must remain ever vigilant. 

Im from Uk and thought I was safe here from the Russia Ukraine crisis, I guess none of us are safe any where in the world and can only pray this doesn't escalate to WW3.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

Clue us in please. And let us know why they are a threat to Thailand. 

Sure---  Spidermike,  you have named 7 countries---that I dont ever remember in the last 20 odd years Thailand ever having any Military confrontation  with (other than  a few days argument about who owns a temple) ---What is the threat from those 7 countries?

So I just commented that you seemed to have missed out the only country that they (Thailand) have sent troops into to fight.

What Indonesia was claiming was part of their country, because it had been for 25 years.  East Timor.

13,000 Pro Indonesian troops-- 5,000 Oz  1,200 Kiwi----and Thailand sent more troops then any county --the whole 1st battalion of the 9th Infantry Regiment. 1,600 men.  I remember it had been a really heavy night at the Grace hotel--1999---woke with TV on & this lady thumping my chest shouting Thailand fighting---Thailand fighting---more money for Taxi please.  Looked at the TV screen with the film of the Oz army parachuting in-thought Oh no, Indonesia 274 million people --Oz 20 million. 

As it was,  all over quickly---Indonesia accepting Timor independence--I had Dili down on my bucket list for a visit, but so far no.

Every time I have had to travel Indonesia with wife---I dont mean "Happy Happy Bali" ( I think thats the only place that isn't Muslim-) you can usually tell how much they love Thai's....... Not.

OK thats my rational--- now the perceived threat from those 7 other countries---IS--?

There is a paper out by Thosaphon Chieocharnpraphan about the mutual sharing of the occupation As Thailand stayed on for a few years.

To long to put here but you can find it on the internet.

Strategic Partnership between Australia and Thailand: A Case Study of East Timor

This paper uses the concept of strategic partnership to analyse the co-operation between
Australia and Thailand in the peacekeeping operations in East Timor from 1999 to 2001.
A strategic partnership in this paper does not focus on formal agreements between
countries or exchange of visits between officials. Instead, a strategic partnership in this
paper focuses on how two countries work together by sharing skills, information,
resources and risks to advance their perceived mutual interests.

• Thanks 1

Usually in Udorn, get to hear some jets whooshing around once every couple of weeks, just for about 5 mins. However one morning last week, I heard the usual civilian flight just before 9 a.m. and almost at the same time several jets starting buzzing around and remember hoping they weren't close to the civil flight. Don't remember this happening before and it hasn't happened this week. Odd!

7 hours ago, Brewster67 said:

...That is NOT misinformation, it is fact and the major protest groups are even mentioned on the NED website which is the New Endowment for Democracy which is none other than the US funding arm for regime change worldwide and they don't hide it...

The onus is on the poster to give a link to the source of his information, not for the readers to hunt for the source.

The extra activity is "Operation Cope Tiger" a joint exercise between Thailand, Singapore and the U.S.
Been going on for years.
There is another later in the year usually also which is called "Operation Thai Boomerang" with Thai, Aussie and Kiwi air forces.