Glasses for reading and computer the same?

giddyup

Last time I had some glasses made at First Optic, the ones for reading were totally unsuitable for the PC. When I read the book, tablet, phone etc is held about 12" from my face, but when using the PC it's double that, but I would have thought there would have to be some leeway, or are reading glasses normally for a fixed distance and that's it? Same as the distance glasses I have, they are fine for the TV about 4 metres away, but no good for driving the car. I'm going to First Optic again shortly but not sure what I should be asking for.

Last time (last summer) I had my eyes tested in the U.K.

I asked for reading glasses, (obviously for reading!) and glasses for when using the laptop. I was provided with both....Both sets of glasses worked fine.

In fact, I even ordered some  extra pairs of spec. online. ( from  one of the cheapy places. to get extra glasses...they asked for my prescription, I gave them the one I got from the local opticians, I had just the one prescription, they asked me my age, and how far away the computer screen would be, I told them..they said they would calculate it,  and voila, a few days later I got back some really cheap glasses.  both reading glasses and glasses for using laptop.

I think! what I'm trying to say here is. I definitely needed different glasses for both reading and laptops, the local optician only gave me the one prescription  (for reading glasses), they obviously tested my eyes, both sets of glasses they gave me were fine. They were so good in fact, I thought, I may as well get extra pairs , (Im always losing/breaking! etc. my glasses!). I looked online, they were really cheap., so I did the above. I   "assume" when making the glasses, it must be pretty easy for them to work out the two different sets of glasses you need, even from the one prescription? Either that, or I was really lucky in the ones they sent me out!

Edited by welshguy
  • Like 1

I used to have 4 pairs of glasses. For reading-TV-computer-driving. Since I had a cataract removed from one eye I now only need one pair glasses...that I use for reading & computer (I have a laptop and get it close to me, same distance as when reading a book) I no longer need glasses for driving-movies-TV. 

• Like 1

I got varifocals from KT Optic, they are fine for reading from the bottom of the lens, computer in the middle, and driving at the top. That's the whole idea of them. Takes a bit of getting used to.

I went for 'good quality' lenses, ie Essilor Varilux, but worth every Baht.

• Like 2

I think the only difference is the power of lenses, which are matched to the distance you are comfortable to read at........reading tends to be closer to your face than the laptop.

You might also get a slight tint or more reflective lens for the laptop glasses.

Edited by Will B Good
  • Like 1

I have glasses to use when I drive and I have glasses when I work with small electronic parts. I could use those glasses also for reading but my eBook reader allows to use bigger font and that is good enough for me.

99 % of the time I never use glasses to work on my 24" desktop computer screen. The reading glasses are for shorter distance and the "driving glasses" for a longer distance.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KannikaP said:

I got varifocals from KT Optic, they are fine for reading from the bottom of the lens, computer in the middle, and driving at the top. That's the whole idea of them. Takes a bit of getting used to.

I went for 'good quality' lenses, ie Essilor Varilux, but worth every Baht.

same here and have been doing it for the past 12 years, always Essilor varifocals, damn expensive but worth it

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Swiss1960 said:

I am using multi focal (progressive) glasses for every day use, reading, TV, driving. I am using special single focus glasses made specifically for computer work. Best possible solution for me.

Same here.   I used to use off-the-shelf reading glasses for the computer, but last year got some proper sets of prescription glasses, including some good prescription computer-specific glasses.  They can get expensive but make a world of difference and are well worth it.  They can be customized for your individual habitual/normal distance between your eyes and your monitor, so no squinting or leaning forward to get the focus right.  And unlike progressives the focus is across the entire lens (or almost, with an upgrade available to optimize the focus around the edges).  

I believe the correct term, that any optician should understand, is "intermediates".  Computer glasses (intermediates) are designed for further away.  Since I got them I would never consider using off the shelf reading glasses again.  They are orders of magnitude better.  The text is much clearer and sharper and I don't lean forward anymore, which is bad for your neck and posture.  I also use them for regular reading and using my smartphone, I just need to hold it a bit further away.

https://www.eyebuydirect.com/blog/reading-glasses-for-computer-use/#:~:text=Reading glasses work best for,also known as computer glasses.

Since my intermediates are prescription they are a perfect match whereas off the shelf reading glasses won't be.  Many eyewear stores can give you an eye exam to determine your prescription and get intermediates made.  Once you get your eye prescription done you can also buy them online at a website such as eyebuydirect.com, which is going to be your cheapest option.  That's where I got mine and I have no complaints.  You do not need a special prescription for intermediates.  Just a regular eye exam and prescription, so if you already have that you are good.  When you specify that you want intermediates they will take your prescription and do the calculations on their end for the intermediate distance, which I believe is considered 20-40".  

Progressive lenses try do everything.  They are a lot more expensive option so I have not considered them and can't really recommend that option unless you need a prescription anyways.

Edited by shdmn
  • Like 1