Plug for electric jug gets very hot.

giddyup

35 minutes ago, bankruatsteve said:

If you can get to where the plug cable is connected to the base plate, suggest you just replace the whole cord.  Maybe you still have some other appliance that has died and can use the cord from that?  Or, ask around.  Somebody probably has a dead rice cooker you could scavenge.  

I'll just replace the plug and see how that goes first. I already bought another one, same brand but smaller, only 1.2 litre.

Edited by giddyup

1 hour ago, Muhendis said:

Do you mean the jug end of the lead or the wall connector end.

Either way heat is caused by a poor connection and will eventually cause a fire which you probably already know.

The wall connector end could be down to a poorly made connection of house wiring to socket or the socket itself worn out.

If it's the other end then you will need a new lead.

Bought another jug, same brand but smaller. Tried it in the same socket and the plug doesn't get hot, so assume the old one has a faulty plug.

2 hours ago, giddyup said:

Bought another jug, same brand but smaller. Tried it in the same socket and the plug doesn't get hot, so assume the old one has a faulty plug.

Yeah sounds like you could be right.

On 3/10/2022 at 4:48 PM, giddyup said:
On 3/10/2022 at 4:42 PM, Led Lolly Yellow Lolly said:

I bet you've got Chang sockets or some other garbage brand.

What are Chang sockets?

Budget range of electrical hardware.

On 3/11/2022 at 8:32 AM, Yellowtail said:
On 3/10/2022 at 4:54 PM, BritManToo said:

I've just replaced many of my sockets with Chang PCH-904N sockets and they're really good.

I wish Schneider offered  receptacles configured like those. 

They do. 158 baht rrp.

schneider_receptacles.jpg.1169e478a785583e76a755d2e6e6056b.jpg

• Sad 1

17 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Those are the old style.

The new 904N is upright and has push fit connectors at the back.

RRP 44bht, or a box of 10 for 400bht.

No. Those ones I posted were Schneider receptacles.

I am not a fan of push-fit electrical connections, even 12V ones in the truck.

As I said, Chang are budget range but they certainly have more variety of receptacle configurations.

17 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

That's what I have, but those don't look like this: 

PCH-904N.JPG.8bc81ebcdd06cf216c2e2571bbe32cd1.JPG

I would be wary if two of the newest, molded, round body 3-pin appliance plugs that are increasingly common here would fit side by side in those outlets? Two of the 2-pin Schuko plugs side by side may also be tight? The older molder plugs that are modeled on the US-style with flat L & N pins would easily fit side by side.

Otherwise, you may have to downgrade to Chang just for the aesthetics.

Bought a new plug, but he cord has three wires, a red, blue and yellow with a green stripe, which one goes to earth, even though the plug only has two pins it still has three connections. The blue wire seems to have a steel core, the other two copper..

40 minutes ago, giddyup said:

even though the plug only has two pins it still has three connections.

Photo of the plug you bought please!

In your lead the green/yellow will be ground, the other two red is likely live and blue neutral.

2 hours ago, NanLaew said:

I would be wary if two of the newest, molded, round body 3-pin appliance plugs that are increasingly common here would fit side by side in those outlets? Two of the 2-pin Schuko plugs side by side may also be tight? The older molder plugs that are modeled on the US-style with flat L & N pins would easily fit side by side.

Otherwise, you may have to downgrade to Chang just for the aesthetics.

The plugs fit okay unless you have two of the 90deg cords in the same direction. When I have a dedicated receptacle with a 90deg cord I can just reorient the receptacle so the cord hangs correctly. 

I've been using the Schneider for all new runs and replacements and this is the only issue I've had. 

plugs.JPG.5459009e1ffd6e441d0a61a4c7eda7c8.JPG

Edited by Yellowtail

27 minutes ago, Crossy said:
1 hour ago, giddyup said:

even though the plug only has two pins it still has three connections.

In your lead the green/yellow will be ground, the other two red is likely live and blue neutral.

Sounds like a Schuko plug where the ground is a female socket/shield whereas the live and neutral are male pins?

Edited by NanLaew

30 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

The plugs fit okay unless you have two of the 90deg cords in the same direction. When I have a dedicated receptacle with a 90deg cord I can just reorient the receptacle so the cord hangs correctly. 

I've been using the Schneider for all new runs and replacements and this is the only issue I've had. 

plugs.JPG.5459009e1ffd6e441d0a61a4c7eda7c8.JPG

Good workaround. I used Schneider for most of my new man cave but went with Haco receptacles as they did a UK/EU/AU/US combo socket where I could get 2 of those in a single oversized box and 3 of the 'conventional' 3-pin receptacles in the adjacent oversized box so a total of 5 receptacles on each wall.

I read somewhere, maybe on this forum, that the Thai electrical authorities have outlawed those 'combo' receptacles (as above). They have already mostly disappeared as an option on extension cords so I bought some spares receptacles in case they proscribe them in domestic wiring products.

Edited by NanLaew

12 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Sounds like a Schuko plug where the ground is a female socket/shield whereas the live and neutral are male pins?

Yeah, that's what I was thinking too, of course he would need the correct outlet for it to be safe.

Potential for a whole new can of worms opening up here ???? 

On 3/10/2022 at 1:51 PM, Bagwain said:

Most likely low power coming in. It's called brownouts.

Wires heat up if this is the case!

Need to check in comming supply.

Please explain how 'low power' can cause the wires to heat up, when higher power does not....

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

Sorry, already installed and working fine.

24 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Yeah, that's what I was thinking too, of course he would need the correct outlet for it to be safe.

It's the same kind of plug that was the original, in fact looks identical except it's not sealed. Already tested the new plug and it doesn't get hot. I tried to open the old one to see what might have happened to make it get hot, but it was virtually impossible to open up.

1 hour ago, simon43 said:

Please explain how 'low power' can cause the wires to heat up, when higher power does not....

Do you have lazy fingers? That would be unusual on this platform. Do some research!????????

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Crossy said:

Real can of worms.  I have seen equipment come from Germany with the plug as described (Earth  is not a 3rd pin, but a strip on the edge that requires the mating surface on the receptacle).  Mechanical fit into the Thai schuko style receptacle "works" but earth / ground goes nowhere.