Volunteers for Ukraine ?

CharlieH

I will only fight for my country of birth, not for any other country whose name or location was revealed to the world few weeks back. All those who promised Ukraine support should send their professional armies but I guess they are wussed out!

14 hours ago, Pravda said:

I'm surprised it's crickets in Thailand. Pattaya alone has a large number of SAS and ex military operatives situated in this world class family resort. 

Everyone's ran into that "special forces" guy at the bar. I like to call this the "summer school" effect.

When I was a teenager I sometimes got sent to an extra school during summer vacation. These were often some distance away from one's regular school, where one would meet many new kids they've never seen before, and very few of their own classmates. The perfect opportunity to become whoever they wanted to be. Hehe. I could totally tell who these poseurs were, trying to drop the lingo incorrectly, looking uncomfortable in clothes they don't usually wear. Much the same happens with those who come to the LOS. Not just in the bars, quite a few of my coworkers also claimed to have founded tech startups, struck it big with crypto, had this or that side gig going, and the buzzwords everyone loves, "passive income".

But in regards to the topic, yeah, about 20 years ago I was at rock bottom. I had lost both my long term job and fiance. I put out stacks of applications and got nowhere. Everyone was reeling from the dot-com crash, Enron, and 9/11. I drained my savings and started selling everything I had. Friends of mine were schmoozing their way into gigs, I've always lacked such skill. I was drinking a lot and suicidal. Had I heard of a war, I prob would've said why not, and signed up.

1 hour ago, zzaa09 said:

I'll pass. Almost impossible with this disconnected crowd.

Exactly. You need to connect the dots. Ivan the Terrible.. Crimean War..  JFK .. 9  11   ...  Covid  ... Flat earth ...  Ukraine ..  This crowd have no idea. 

I wouldn't volunteer but I am happy for my taxes to be helping a bit. 

11 minutes ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

. I was drinking a lot and suicidal. Had I heard of a war, I prob would've said why not, and signed up.

And because of those reasons, you most likely had been turned down. 

Many who is at rock bottom try to enroll, and maybe more before for europeens going in to the French legion, did not make it because of the exact reason you described above, not there for the right reason, or doing it for the right reasons. 

Being a soldier is in your blood, and not something you become because you struggle in life and are suicidal. 

I could not enroll, because Im thinking to much and also question to much, and I would not handle to see civilians life messed up and see them die. Especially kids. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

True but that did not stop a few going AWOL and are there now. Plenty of British troops on the ground, even a current conservative M.P.s son. Lots of images and videos on this. There is an individual sub reddit where lots of volunteers can ask questions with different teams looking for different skills not just fighters but trauma surgeons and medics.

I've just been reading on Forces.net about Canadians joining the scrum as well, including a well known sniper called Wali.

I can understand that some Brits will be drawn in. They haven't had a good scrap since withdrawing from (abandoning in some folks minds) Afghanistan and what do soldiers want? A good scrap of course. Good luck to them.

Canadians in Ukraine

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hummin said:

Being a soldier is in your blood

Haha. Give me a break. Too much Rambo bro.

Most soldiers did not choose it as their profession. Most are drafted in times of war. In such times they need bodies at the front lines to be handed guns. Soldiering's def not in their blood. They do it because they often have no choice and no alternative. My God man, listen to Creedence Clearwater's "Fortunate Son". Read up on a certain famous American president and his "bone spurs".

Read up on the Vietnam war. They weren't exactly too picky. Sure, if someone was jittery and talking to himself he might've been rejected, but they needed the bodies. They pulled them from the streets of America and many were sent to die not knowing what do to, or why they were there. Hence the high casualty numbers, why we lost the war despite throwing so many people and so much money at it, and why the streets of America were then later filled with homeless vets. Their govt and military didn't adequately prepare them prior to war, they didn't have it "in their blood" otherwise they wouldn't have come back horribly broken, nor was this cared much about.

No, I doubt the Ukraine battle is going to attract many professional mercernary, "in their blood" types. I imagine the pay's not too high. They're going get some with some soldiering experience, or more likely some interest in it, and certainly many who like to talk tough on the Internet. Heh. I doubt they'll choose to do so if they already have wonderful lives and careers. Perhaps a few may truly care about the Ukrainians, maybe there's ancestral ties. Hats off to them. Otherwise I can't see being willing to accept death for a country that's not even theirs. They'll likely do it because they don't have much else going.

18 minutes ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

Most soldiers did not choose it as their profession. Most are drafted in times of war. In such times they need bodies at the front lines to be handed guns. Soldiering's def not in their blood. They do it because they often have no choice and no alternative. My God man, listen to Creedence Clearwater's "Fortunate Son". Read up on a certain famous American president and his "bone spurs".

Read up on the Vietnam war. They weren't exactly too picky. Sure, if someone was jittery and talking to himself he might've been rejected, but they needed the bodies. They pulled them from the streets of America and many were sent to die not knowing what do to, or why they were there. Hence the high casualty numbers, why we lost the war despite throwing so many people and so much money at it, and why the streets of America were then later filled with homeless vets. Their govt and military didn't adequately prepare them prior to war, they didn't have it "in their blood" otherwise they wouldn't have come back horribly broken, nor was this cared much about.

No, I doubt the Ukraine battle is going to attract many professional mercernary, "in their blood" types. I imagine the pay's not too high. They're going get some with some soldiering experience, or more likely some interest in it, and certainly many who like to talk tough on the Internet. Heh. I doubt they'll choose to do so if they already have wonderful lives and careers. Perhaps a few may truly care about the Ukrainians, maybe there's ancestral ties. Hats off to them. Otherwise I can't see being willing to accept death for a country that's not even theirs. They'll likely do it because they don't have much else going.

Indeed those who did not believe it was in them become good soldiers, but we are all shaped different, henge some become shoemakers, doctors and hunters, while some become artists. 

Many of those who was "forced" in to wars, get used to it and their survival mode kicks in. 

Many of those never manage to go back to normal life, some with PTSD, and the silence after the war kills them, and lack of tention and the safe invoroment become and enemy and an illness, that's why many search up new conflicts, not because they have to, but they can not adopt to a normal life again. Of course the boarder line is not set, and many different variations.

Soldiers who have it in the blood, is not Rambo types, they are different, and have a clear mind about what they doing, why they do it, and also able to stay sane in conflicts and after it's over.

I have friends who have serviced in special forces who I have met through skydiving during my 20 years in the sport. Non of them was any alike Rambo!

They are capable to handle stress over long periods of time, and also keep themselves together in critical situations and trust their drill and gained skills from training.

You would not manage to pick them out of a crowd as special soldiers, without knowing them.  

Edited by Hummin
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

Putting aside nam, how wrong you are

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

Days of conscripts long gone. Iraq 1, Afghanistan, Iraq 2 all volunteers, far as I know. If I'm wrong tell me which country sent conscripts to those conflicts.

48 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Days of conscripts long gone. Iraq 1, Afghanistan, Iraq 2 all volunteers, far as I know. If I'm wrong tell me which country sent conscripts to those conflicts.

Thailand did (2003/4) ... even had 2 soldiers killed, and a few injured.  Don't know if they were conscripts though, and may have enlisted.

Soldiers killed probably were not conscripts, maybe, as both achieved rank of Sergeant. 

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

On 3/11/2022 at 9:00 AM, CharlieH said:

Could this be a ploy and a method to actually introduce some skilled elite group by another nation covertly under the guise of volunteers.

Certainly appears to be what the Russians are doing when they refer to the 16,000 volunteers they have in the Middle East. Appears it may be Syrians who have fought alongside Russian “volunteers” there.