Billionaire former top cop's son in Porsche severely injures foreigner on motorcycle in Bangkok smash

webfact

5 minutes ago, Graham8888 said:

+ it is proven that environmentally it is better for now to keep the car you have for as long as possible rather putting another (EV) car on the road 

Highly doubtful.

Irrelevant for myself, as ours is fairly new (1.5 yr old), though if new EV version isn't spec'd up a bit, I may have buyer regret not getting the EV version earlier.  Though don't expect any price increase, due to new competition hitting the market this year.  

Although, we did a lot of out & about driving since having, and not needing to plan any away from home charging, and petrol @ ฿20 ish / liter, not much to regret.

On topic ... guess the BIB will sort out what happen, or not.  Not much of an issue, unless the MB driver dies.  Just another accident for now, with members convicting Porsche driver, simply because he can afford one.  No envy there ... ????

5 hours ago, Emdog said:

"... Ahmad Wasim, 42. His nationality was not known as his ID was unclear," Sounds like an Arabian name, ya think? ID unclear maybe because of arab script?

Maybe he is from Saudi Arabia.... now that Thailand has kiss and made up with them, could be interesting to see how this plays out. Wishing Ahmad a speedy recovery

Names of people are no longer a "given" - he could easily be an Englishman!!  - yes, generations ago, could have been Arabic. A person' s ID (documentation) may have nothing to do with what he looks like, (except his photo), or his origins!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RJRS1301 said:

One has to question how the wealth was accumulated, or did he marry UP

Wirachai Songmetta's wealth ( = $940m according to Forbes) comes from Absolute Clean Energy, a renewable energy producer: Absolute Clean Energy operates 19 biomass power projects with a combined capacity of 246 megawatts. 

Wirachai had interests in distributing hardboard and wood chips before he set up ACE in 2008.

5 minutes ago, Kinnock said:

Which means in addition to using gas (or coal if it's a plug-in), it also has toxic batteries to be disposed of in future.

So are you saying nobody should be allowed to drive any kind of vehicle if they own a green energy company?  Or just nobody should be able to drive any kind of vehicle full stop?

I assume you walk everywhere.  Must have taken you ages to get to Thailand.

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, nchuckle said:

Is that the gas guzzling engine that even in its latest incarnations never got to even 400 horsepower? Comfortably outgunned by my old BMW M3. The best description of those old American V8s was "converting money into noise " ????  ???? 

I don't know about the 5.7 liter Hemi getting to 400 HP.  Was it supposed to?  I didn't know until now, how much horsepower my RAM was rated to have. 

According to the internet, my RAM has 390 horsepower.  

Your BMW M3, if the European model (E), has 282 horse power, .  U.S. model (US) has less horse power at 240 HP

My RAM weighs 5640 pounds (probably before having a full gas tank)

BMW M3  3219 pounds

According to an internet calculator, the BMW M3 E has 0,0876 horsepower to the pound ratio. 
According to an internet calculator, the RAM 1500 with 5.7 liter engine has a 0.0691 horsepower to the pound ratio. 
According to an internet calculator, the BMW M3 US has 0.0746 horsepower to the pound ratio.  
Whichever BMW M3  you have (or had) it can accelerate faster than my truck.  It has more horsepower to weight ratio, it had better be faster.   
My RAM truck can carry over 1000 pounds and tow 9800 pounds (Less than my BIL's Truck).    With a 31 gallon fuel tank, out on the freeway, and driving at 65 - 70 mph, I drive about 525 miles before I stop to refuel (and take a break).    Betcha that BMW M3 can beat that too.  

But, it is the most comfortable vehicle I have owned and driven.  That is why I like my RAM and not some little, have to squat down till my knees hit me in the chin to get into, car.  And I have had some of those too. 

7 hours ago, webfact said:

He will be studying CCTV and interviewing the men when they recover. 

nothing to expect other then finding the foreigner culpable.....hi so kid!!!!! case close

6 hours ago, SunnyinBangrak said:

Why hypocrisy? People that drive electric cars are essentially driving fossil fuel powered cars, as electricity has to be generated. Sounds funny to think a Tesla could effectively be a coal powered car. Until the technology is invented to make cars actually "green" this billionaires son may as well drive a Porsche. The whole green car industry is at present an interesting exercise in virtue signalling and perception management.

Hope this lad he crashed into will be OK, but judging by this story the impact sounds like a high speed crash. Not expecting any justice to be served.

When things like extra resources to build using REM for which mining destroys the environment and what to do with the batteries at the end of their short life. I have never ever achieved the mileage stated in the car's specs; nor have I ever achieved the stated speed on internet advertised by the ISPs; nor will the batteries last as long, or cost as little to replace. Take this into account and these electric cars are an environmental nightmare.

• Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Neeranam said:

This is one of the reasons the Red Bull guy didn't face an unfair trial. If a drunk rice farmer kills  a motorbike rider the fine/compensation is 50,000 baht; Boss paid millions in compensation to the family of the deceased yet is still hounded by the press just because of his wealth and who his family are. 

There were no witnesses in this case, yet people here automatically think the foreigner is the victim. 

Ahhh, the poor little victimised Red Bull mite!

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Accidents happen all over the world 

But 

Rarely (if ever) do we see a former top cop being the countries 36th richest. 

I'm so sorry for the (poorest) people of Thailand. 

Yes. I do too.

The near billion US dollars the former top cop is worth has all been ripped off the Thai people. I wonder if this is the same commissioner Big Joke fell out with after he found corruption in an immigration procurement racket.

54 minutes ago, radiochaser said:

I don't know about the 5.7 liter Hemi getting to 400 HP.  Was it supposed to?  I didn't know until now, how much horsepower my RAM was rated to have. 

According to the internet, my RAM has 390 horsepower.  

Your BMW M3, if the European model (E), has 282 horse power, .  U.S. model (US) has less horse power at 240 HP

My RAM weighs 5640 pounds (probably before having a full gas tank)

BMW M3  3219 pounds

According to an internet calculator, the BMW M3 E has 0,0876 horsepower to the pound ratio. 
According to an internet calculator, the RAM 1500 with 5.7 liter engine has a 0.0691 horsepower to the pound ratio. 
According to an internet calculator, the BMW M3 US has 0.0746 horsepower to the pound ratio.  
Whichever BMW M3  you have (or had) it can accelerate faster than my truck.  It has more horsepower to weight ratio, it had better be faster.   
My RAM truck can carry over 1000 pounds and tow 9800 pounds (Less than my BIL's Truck).    With a 31 gallon fuel tank, out on the freeway, and driving at 65 - 70 mph, I drive about 525 miles before I stop to refuel (and take a break).    Betcha that BMW M3 can beat that too.  

But, it is the most comfortable vehicle I have owned and driven.  That is why I like my RAM and not some little, have to squat down till my knees hit me in the chin to get into, car.  And I have had some of those too. 

Even My 2002 E46 M3 had 345 hp and my subsequent 2007 onward model E92 414 bhp. Current incarnations 500 from a 3 litre engine. The point I was addressing was in response to your lauding of a 5.7 litre hemi engine which produces relatively low power given its capacity. 4.4 litres of BMW engine which fitted to their bigger  models (no chin knee issues!)now produces 600 bhp ! You’d find the bigger saloons /SUVs would be more comfortable (ride quality) with better handling than any truck whose only advantage is if carrying huge loads in the open back. How often does that get used which a SUV couldn’t deal with?

1 hour ago, josephbloggs said:

So are you saying nobody should be allowed to drive any kind of vehicle if they own a green energy company?  Or just nobody should be able to drive any kind of vehicle full stop?

I assume you walk everywhere.  Must have taken you ages to get to Thailand.

I don't make pretention claims about 'green' energy.  The planet is well passed the pount of return, I use the convenience of planes without the greenwash.

And what's the chances this rich kids 'green' businesses are just a money laundering front for daddies cash? 

6 hours ago, djayz said:

Strange that, I've always been under the impression that he is hounded because he (1) left the scene of a crime (which in my book makes him a coward), (2) tried to use a member of staff as an escape goat (which in my book makes him an even bigger coward) and finally he did a runner (which proves he is, in fact,  a coward). 

Don't forget the boss had cocaine in his system.  Bribed a dentist to lie. So powerful and rich he found a fall guy to say he was driving,  what else am I forgetting. 

Hope justice is found in this case and everyone is ok. 

4 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Not to defend the rich kid, but if having the means, who would not do everything and anything, to keep their kid out of prison, especially a Thai prison ?

Sending your kid to prison, takes a special kind of hate.

ok,not entirely on topic but i'll bite.

This red bull scum guy would have never seen a day in prison,he already paid off the family of the victim and all he had to face was some charges.

Of course being too stoned what was going on at the moment did not help.

I say again,he would have never spent one day in prison.

8 hours ago, Misterwhisper said:

Which explains why he is driving an "absolutely non-clean" fossil fuel-guzzling Porsche. Ah, the hypocrisy! 

Putting a Porsche in a young mans hand is almost the same as putting a gun there. A nice 4 door Toyota would have been much better for him, and much safer for us all.