Lao rights activist who faced deportation in Thailand arrives safely in Canada

webfact

9 hours ago, JoePai said:

Good for him - and shame on Thailand to even think of deportation 

Thailand is no different from China and is starting to emulate it in every way.  IT's very frustrating to see but there is little that can be done.  Westerners are far different from Thais in that we grew up with basic rights and freedoms.  They did not so are unaccustomed to making a fuss in any real substantive way.  IT's not something that anyone can change, and Thailand will go where it goes like a tanker and there will be no stopping it.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, JoePai said:

Good for him - and shame on Thailand to even think of deportation 

Good on Canada too for once again being one of the few countries  that offers sanctuary in such cases. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Blumpie said:

Thailand is no different from China and is starting to emulate it in every way.  IT's very frustrating to see but there is little that can be done.  Westerners are far different from Thais in that we grew up with basic rights and freedoms.  They did not so are unaccustomed to making a fuss in any real substantive way.  IT's not something that anyone can change, and Thailand will go where it goes like a tanker and there will be no stopping it.

I am afraid I don't agree. The up and coming younger generation are aware of the concept of basic rights and freedoms, understand that ( in theory) those rights are guaranteed by the constitution ("de jour"), and expect those rights and freedoms to be upheld. That started to bleed through electorally with the strong support for Future Forward in the last election. The generation not yet ( but almost) of voting age are just as, if not more aware. Oh they may load their phones with videos of "Black Pink" or rap artists we can't understand, but they are very aware. The uniformed dinosaurs are fighting a hard rearguard action, but it is doomed. The young people just don't care about the things which they believe justify how they rule.we saw that in various of the street protests in Bangkok last year. They ( the dinosaurs) will come unstuck.

Edited by herfiehandbag
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, herfiehandbag said:

I am afraid I don't agree. The up and coming younger generation are aware of the concept of basic rights and freedoms, understand that ( in theory) those rights are guaranteed by the constitution ("de jour"), and expect those rights and freedoms to be upheld. That started to bleed through electorally with the strong support for Future Forward in the last election. The generation not yet ( but almost) of voting age are just as, if not more aware. Oh they may load their phones with videos of "Black Pink" or rap artists we can't understand, but they are very aware. The uniformed dinosaurs are fighting a hard rearguard action, but it is doomed. The young people just don't care about the things which they believe justify how they rule.we saw that in various of the street protests in Bangkok last year. They ( the dinosaurs) will come unstuck.

I can't agree more that "they are aware of it" however as people age they change their thinking patterns and tend to get in line with group thought.  IT's no different in any other country.  Look at university students when they start voicing their opinions.  

Nah, they aren't going to change.  To change the way that things work it takes a generation or two at least.  Just my opinion!