Electricity rate to increase to 4 baht/unit in May-August

snoop1130

Thai electric is quite expensive.  Just checked against PECO for Philly, PA, USA, which I was sure would be much more. 

Apparently NOT. The NE of USA, has some of the highest rates, (PA, NY, NJ) aside from CA.

I was used to TN, USA, TVA / Hydro generated, probably some of the cheapest, at the time.  Lived Memphis TN area last 5 yrs in USA.

PEC0 - 700 units would cost ฿3300 probably wee bit more, as Oct 2021 #s

PEA - 700 units will cost about ฿3123 ????

https://www.mea.or.th/en/aboutelectric/116/280/form/11

PECO: 

image.png.835b4e288aeceea176b98c34af0b4063.png

Edited by KhunLA

My bill ranges from around 1500 in the winter up to 4000 in the hot season - which is very, very late arriving this year, thank you* - when just occasionally I need to turn the aircon on at 7am instead of in the afternoon.

*only had a few days at 36 or37 so far this month, and in theory the hot season - March and April in my area - is nearly halfway through.

25 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

My bill ranges from around 1500 in the winter up to 4000 in the hot season - which is very, very late arriving this year, thank you* - when just occasionally I need to turn the aircon on at 7am instead of in the afternoon.

*only had a few days at 36 or37 so far this month, and in theory the hot season - March and April in my area - is nearly halfway through.

My electricity bill was 600-800bht.

Now I've installed 3 more solar panels I'm expecting it to drop to around 300bht/month.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Now I've installed 3 more solar panels I'm expecting it to drop to around 300bht/month.

Have you calculated how long the cost of the panels will take to balance the books? Just curious. A brother-in-law has recently bought one to use for his water pump and lights in his field. Got it second-hand, spouse believes for about 1800 baht x 10 panels plus whatever he needs to store the electricity.

Edited by Bangkok Barry

On 3/17/2022 at 10:42 PM, Onerak said:

So, paying a flat rate of 4.5 baht for my condo is not a big deal anymore. 

The electricity used at your rented condo seems correct and fair . Many landlords charge much higher rates legally .

56 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

1 panel produces 1unit/day and cost 3450bht.

At 4bht/unit that will take 862 days (2 years 4 months).

3465 baht deposited in a Thai bank for 862 days  will return far less in the same time span .

Money well spent 

18 hours ago, Capella said:

For several years I marvelled at how cheap electricity had become in Thailand, until one day the electricity company replaced my stuck meter with one that worked. 

And today I got a bill that seems higher than usual......2826 baht for 636 units... has it gone up yet?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

And today I got a bill that seems higher than usual......2826 baht for 636 units... has it gone up yet?

8 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Not yet .

Your price is what i have been paying for some time which is around 4,5 baht with the value added tax of 7 percent  included .

16 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I have seen you have knowledge about solar systems that I do not have and i there fore ask if you could kindly give some advice on a reserve power battery that I could use  in conjunction with solar panels that i aim to install later . I want to use the reserve power for providing power to the house for at least half a day . I have two submersible pumps that i need to keep running in case of a power outage .

I have seen a battery from Huawei luna 5000 that maybe could be used which has the advantage you can add two more batteries too .

Our average usage for electricity is 800 kwh a month . Then I imagine i need a battery that could handle at least 30 kwh in one day .

44 minutes ago, itsari said:

Our average usage for electricity is 800 kwh a month . Then I imagine i need a battery that could handle at least 30 kwh in one day .

6kWhr of storage costs around 30,000bht.

If you have grid available use it for the big power items.

Keep the batteries for lights/fridge/freezer/entertainment.

My battery (6kWhr) just about lasts from 3pm to 7am, with about a 50% chance of being able  cook the morning rice. 

Huawei Luna 5000........ 5kWhr for 150,000bht ......... they must be joking!

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/huawei-luna-2000-5-5kwh-lithium-solar-battery-storage-i2724326701-s9868009968.html?&search=pdp_v2v

Here's 12kWhr for 50,000bht .........

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/nmc-catl-48v-232ah-12kw-smart-bms-active-jikong-150a-i2937766522-s10775080147.html?&search=pdp_v2v

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Got my bill today also. Usual unit use. Last month 380 units. Bill was around 1500b. This month 420 units. 2366b ????

19 minutes ago, Simple Jack said:

Got my bill today also. Usual unit use. Last month 380 units. Bill was around 1500b. This month 420 units. 2366b ????

Big difference for 40 units more, would have expected 180 baht more.

Yea. i live in a row of town houses.  Unit next door became occupied last month after they were doing some "work" on it the month previously. It has sat empty for over a year after an electrical fire. Which i just caught in time returning from BBK at 3am. Man if if i had got the bus two hours later to Phichit. God knows what would of happened.

Low & behold. When i cut my main breaker. The meter is still turning.  Sigh... Dose anyone have advice? Report to P.E.A? or do i need to visit the cop shop also?

Cheers lads.

*Edit* I assume some monkey business has taken place in the shared roof spaces.

Edited by Simple Jack
more info
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Simple Jack said:

Low & behold. When i cut my main breaker. The meter is still turning.  Sigh... Dose anyone have advice? Report to P.E.A? or do i need to visit the cop shop also?

Easiest,

Call the PEA and tell them your meter is broken.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For several years I marvelled at how cheap electricity had become in Thailand, until one day the electricity company replaced my stuck meter with one that worked. 

this really happen to me, last year my usual bills are like 4-5k baht a month, suddenly i received a bill for 1,500 baht, i scratch my head but ok i'll take it, two month pass still the same close my eye and pay the bills, third month come around i'm still smiling, the fourth month i saw they came around to check my meter, nothing was tamper with and saw them change my meter and that was it back to normal ????

• Like 1

17 hours ago, jacko45k said:

My stuck meter was good while it lasted - aircon on all the time. I did have to pay the monthly rental on the meter though, which irked me a bit when I found out it had been stuck for so long. I didn't get a refund on the rental, but they didn't charge me for the electricity either.

2 hours ago, Capella said:

My stuck meter was good while it lasted - aircon on all the time. I did have to pay the monthly rental on the meter though, which irked me a bit when I found out it had been stuck for so long. I didn't get a refund on the rental, but they didn't charge me for the electricity either.

My meter once burst into flames... I kid you not. They came around and put the cables  back in so that effectively I had power but no meter. They said I would be billed as per previous months consumption in the interim, until they got a new meter.... I admit I was relaxed about running AC units during the weeks that took. Rather disappointed when they came with a new one.

DSC01044.JPG

Edited by jacko45k
  • Haha 2