Scourge of "Hell Drug" continues in Thailand - more fallout from horrific murder of parents by son

webfact

21 hours ago, MrJ2U said:
  On 3/19/2022 at 7:20 PM, starky said:

So showing your zero knowledge about any drugs in the kingdom. Ice is cheaper than yaba yeah? Yaba about 30 baht a pill ice 1000 baht a tik (gram) if ya lucky. All the armchair expertz out today

21 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

Sounds like a regular dealer.

At those prices be out of business in 5 mins .. unless living in a village on the Chiang Rai Burmese border

On 3/19/2022 at 2:15 AM, MrJ2U said:

It's probably 90%.

If you actually lived in Thailand you wouldn't be so naive about the drug problem here.

90% eh!  Really.  9 out of 10 people. Really.  why even post if you're just going to state totally ridiculous "facts". 

12 years in Thailand, 8 in  Isaan. University teacher. Had well over 3000 students over the years. Cant think of one case where I thought the student was high.  When someone is on Yaba, you can tell.  

It is a problem, a serious problem, but stating silly numbers benefits no one. 90% hahaha  If it was 20%, which I doubt it would be serious, deadly serious.  That would be 2 out of ten people. You're stating 9 out of 10 is high on Yaba. Do you know how percentages work?   You're stating 60 million people in Thailand use Yabba, are you going to stick with that profound analysis? 

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/18/2022 at 6:20 AM, JingerBen said:

As I see it-based on a perspective of 40+ years here-the problem is not so much supply as it is demand.

In the late '70s and well onto the '80s ya-ba was called "ya-mah", horse medicine.

It was only given to racehorses.

Then along came the War on Drugs brought to you by... well, let's not get into that.

Ganja, which had always been readily available in Thailand, was demonized as "a weed with roots in hell" and outlawed.

Many young locals turned to ya-mah and the elders started calling them "kee yah-bah" when they'd go violent.

Let's go back to the way it was before the drug war warped our sense of values. Don't bogart that joint.

To those who say "Carnage on the highways" I say bulls balls.

Look at tje figures from places where it has already been legalized.

It might tend to make them even more cautious on the roads.

Back in the day, I can't remember one single fight caused by ganja, but there were plenty caused by booze and later by yah-ba.

Legalize herb, do everybody a favor.

Do you know when khan cha (as it sounded like it was pronounced when I was first there) was made illegal in Thailand?   I was in Thailand in late 1972 early 1973.   Yes it was readily available, but even then it was illegal to posses.     

As to the pronunciation of herb's name, I believe the word had the same root as it was very similar in pronunciation in Vietnam, Thailand and India. 

5 hours ago, radiochaser said:

Do you know when khan cha (as it sounded like it was pronounced when I was first there) was made illegal in Thailand?   I was in Thailand in late 1972 early 1973.   Yes it was readily available, but even then it was illegal to posses.     

As to the pronunciation of herb's name, I believe the word had the same root as it was very similar in pronunciation in Vietnam, Thailand and India. 

1970 under the Controlled Substance Act.

I think that the Thai people are under a lot of stress,

Mostly economic, 

and such stress manifests it's self in many different ways. 

IMO the male ego is most susceptible to such stresses.  

On 3/18/2022 at 1:12 PM, webfact said:

the drug of choice in Thailand that is flooding in unabated from meth labs in Laos. 

And, for those in the know, almost certainly by Chinese criminal syndicates that operate openly all over Laos. But, the Thais wouldn't dare mention it. ????

59 minutes ago, Highend Expat said:

And, for those in the know, almost certainly by Chinese criminal syndicates that operate openly all over Laos. But, the Thais wouldn't dare mention it. ????

or do anything within the border areas, especially with the regime in Laos. Thailand wants the Chinese for so many reasons and gangs have no mercy 

• Thanks 1

On 3/18/2022 at 5:20 PM, JingerBen said:

As I see it-based on a perspective of 40+ years here-the problem is not so much supply as it is demand.

In the late '70s and well onto the '80s ya-ba was called "ya-mah", horse medicine.

It was only given to racehorses.

Then along came the War on Drugs brought to you by... well, let's not get into that.

Ganja, which had always been readily available in Thailand, was demonized as "a weed with roots in hell" and outlawed.

Many young locals turned to ya-mah and the elders started calling them "kee yah-bah" when they'd go violent.

Let's go back to the way it was before the drug war warped our sense of values. Don't bogart that joint.

To those who say "Carnage on the highways" I say bulls balls.

Look at tje figures from places where it has already been legalized.

It might tend to make them even more cautious on the roads.

Back in the day, I can't remember one single fight caused by ganja, but there were plenty caused by booze and later by yah-ba.

Legalize herb, do everybody a favor.

Right spot on the money about the War on Drugs.

It provoked untold misery in Thailand by making the illegal trade so lucrative and so easy to get into.

Mass incarceration followed in the 1980s and added an ugly new chapter to Thai history.

The new conditions introduced a smorgasbord of recreational drugs to the country. 

In the early '70s, a few years before my time here, the heroin epidemic among American troops in Vietnam and at airbases in Thailand spread to the lower levels of Thai society. By the time I arrived in 1978 it was a common sight to see young addicts nodding off in the middle of the day at markets and slum areas.

That situation had just about ended by the mid '80s mainly due to much higher prices for smack.

Then the more affordable ya-ba stopped being used only for race horses and became the drug of choice for many of the chao bahn with negative consequences that are still being seen today.

It can't be entirely blamed on Western drug culture. The soil was fertile for the seeds sown by the GIs and later the corrupt drug warriors both foreign and domestic.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, cyril sneer said:

gateway drug 

Calling gunja a "gateway drug" shows how ill informed you are regarding drug use, let alone addiction

I doubt you have ever had professional experience or basic training with drug affected persons

Edited by RJRS1301
  • Like 1