Thaksin's daughter could become Thailand's next prime minister as Shinawatra's set for comeback

webfact

21 hours ago, NanLaew said:

The immigration changes under his watch didn't impact the qualified, professional and legally employed expats at all.

Those that needed to hop borders, couldn't afford a visa, claimed questionable qualifications or otherwise didn't qualify for work permits, maybe less so?

Actually they did effect expats that with professional qualifications. 

Prior to moving to Thailand I would come to Thailand for projects. It was very simple to get a B visa from the consultant in Florida with just a letter of invitation from the main contractor. 

When Thaksin started making changes, you then had to have much more than a invitation letter, We had to have all company documents, taxes paid, etc which most companies we worked with didn't want to provide these documents and eventually being able to get a B visa easily was over. Then they stopped issuing B visas in neighboring countries forcing someone to go to their home country to get a B visa if they didn't do an extension. This was one of the reasons my company moved me to living in Thailand full time and opened an office in Thailand. 

4 hours ago, ericthai said:

are you saying this picture is from 2014???

why don't you rad up on Thai history and try to get a grasp on the topic. Then you might begin to understand what we are talking about when they say that "Thaksin's daughter could become Thailand's next prime minister as Shinawatra's set for comeback"

Edited by onthedarkside
flame comments removed
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Thunglom said:

Thailand has endured 12 successful coups (plus seven attempted coups) since 1932. 

There is a self perpetuating cycle in which one coup leads to another. 

People have been killed and imprisoned both before during and after these coups.

The army kills far more Thai citizens than any foreigners .

After the coup the officers involved receive huge payments for there efforts.

those who helped have avoided prison sentences and carry on in daily life despite being found guilty.

Hundreds of people are either ed or in prison as a result of opposing these coups.

I think you need to read up on Thai history. Of course most of the books on it are banned and probably have words in them too long for many expats to understand.

Well thanks for your advice to read up on the history. In fact I am well informed on the history and i've been in Thailand over 35 years watching the last several coups and military events unfold before my eyes. 

My recent comment (a couple of posts up this thread) was specifically/obviosly in regard to the last coup, not all coups.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Thunglom said:

why don't you rad up on Thai history and try to get a grasp on the topic. Then you might begin to understand what we are talking about when they say that "Thaksin's daughter could become Thailand's next prime minister as Shinawatra's set for comeback"

You're deflecting, and my response was to your post. so again, is the picture from 2014? 

I was living in BKK and driving around during the 2014 coup (and 2006 coup) and I never saw or heard of any military shootings.