Just tested positive- AAAAH! What next?

Hanaguma

7 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

You’d happily stay in a hotel that knowingly permitted covid positive guests ?

I don't stay in hotels but that is beside the point.

If the person is showing no symptoms I have no issue being in close proximity to them Happens at my work weekly.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Hanaguma said:

We don't even eat in restaurants- usually we got take out food and ate at our Airbnb. Drove a rental car. Private tours only. No boozing or nightlife.  This makes no sense. 

You should be able to quarantine at the Airbnb accommodation.

We have had many guests who were told to do that.

When I had Covid, my ATK tests were positive - then negative, then positive and so on.

I was told to quarantine for 10 days - just to be sure.

15 minutes ago, BKKBike09 said:

Curiously I was just talking yesterday to some friends who arrived here couple of days ago from Europe. They both had Covid a couple of weeks back. PCR testing on arrival at their hotel and the husband's test came back positive. After some panicking trying to get a medical certificate from Europe to prove earlier infection, hotel said "don't worry, have re-tested and now negative". I won't name the hotel but it's a fancy 5-star on the river in Bangkok.

Go figure. Not sure how they did a "re-test" but who's complaining. Just goes to show, though, that asking for a re-test (even offering to pay for one) might be a good idea.

it's not hotel who run tests and is responsible for quarantine, but hospital itslef.

If you tell them, after testing positive, that you recently had covid, they would run another test to see, if indeed there are remains of the inactive virus.

The best is to tell them before test and hand out medical certificate.

When I went for a pcr and told them about my recent covid, they have replaced a white sticker on the vial with a red sticker. My sample went through a different procedure than all other vials.

39 minutes ago, PJ71 said:

Point of note - some airlines don't require PCR to travel any longer, some countries don't require pre travel PCR or PCR on arrival.

Very true. In addition to that, with my country the USA I know people returning back and they think they need a PCR test but they need in my simple terms a viral ATK test. Usually 500 baht in Thailand.  I've told them that a positive PCR test can stay positive much longer than a positive ATK test and probably be treated much harsher here.  Why get a PCR test when your country only requires ATK.  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Hanaguma said:

Hi; thanks for the advice. I was thinking the same, why did we  both test positive? It was a saliva based test, not nasal swab, and we both have been having a very minor cold (but no fever or any other covid-y symptoms) so maybe that threw off the test. I am sorely tempted to run downstairs to the pharmacy and at least get a couple rapid tests for us to try. Plus ask another testing clinic to send someone here to do a nasal swab test.  

We don't even eat in restaurants- usually we got take out food and ate at our Airbnb. Drove a rental car. Private tours only. No boozing or nightlife.  This makes no sense. 

I understand what you are saying completely, but then this is omicron and it is stealthy. Both my GF and I came down with it last week and now 10 days in we are still sick.  We tested positive again this morning on an ATK test, however this time the line at the T was barely noticeable meaning the viral load is lessening.  We pretty much keep to ourselves except for the fact that two days prior to coming down with this we were at a hospital for the GF's work permit physical and so were another possibly several hundred migrants.  Luckily we live here in BKK and are isolating at home.  If you do test again I would be interested in hearing if your barely faint line at the T increased as ours did last week when we retested 24 hours later.  We are taking D-Coate for the cough and slight congestion, had a low grade fever 99.6 for two days and I have lost my taste and smell sensory.  Hope it all works out for you.

hopefully, the hospital that 'partners' with the novotel will be able to help obtain an extension of your permission to stay.  but unclear on how much help they will provide, could be they take your passports and get the extension done.  could be they give you a certificate and you have to go to immigration when you are released.  i had a friend in hospital about 5 yrs ago and he just gave them his passport and it was done.  so that has happened in the past.

worst case scenario is overstay at 500thb/day payable at the airport.  max is 20,000.  no other penalties as long as you don't stay more than 90 days (then it is a one year ban from entering thailand).

depending on your financial situation and your desire to go home ASAP, you might opt for paying the overstay fine if the hospital says you must visit immigration on your own. 

when hospitals were full of medical tourists there were also immi officers coming every week to deal with patients visas. That at the biggest international hospitals.

No harm to ask, but small chance now.

As immi don't have some special procedure for dealing with positive's expiring stamps, you are going to pay at the airport. 

If hospital lets you go only after 3 days to quarantine, not sure you are allowed to go to immi office for extension for 1900b. The immi office at cheng wattana requires ATK on entry, you might get positive and turned back.

check, what travel insurance can do for you in case of your hospitel and even immi fees

Edited by internationalism

22 hours ago, internationalism said:

hospital will move you to their hospitel. For 10 days.

Ask already now for medical certificate, an original of positive test.

You can start already travel insurance claim for rebooking flight or even for hospitel stay (very few insurance will cover, but check).

Not sure if asking for an additional pcr test will help. Depending on hospital policy, but not likely.

You can travel only 15 days after the first positive.

But if you are still positive after that time there might be no airline allowing you to board, even with recovery certificate.

as to amoxicillin for covid - not needed with very mild symptoms as you have. Keep antibiotics at hand, if sudden worsening

Antibiotics dont cure a virus.

13 minutes ago, internationalism said:

that's I have written "not needed"

Yeah, you wrote: "not needed with very mild symptoms". But it is not needed at all if having only covid.

Covid is not bacterial. 

Edited by Captor
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Captor said:

Yeah, you wrote: "not needed with very mild symptoms". But it is not needed at all if having only covid.

Covid is not bacterial. 

at some stage there might well be co-infection with bacteria.

Once body immune system is weak, the other patogen can enter.

From the beginning of covid some antibiotics were used - azythromycin, doxyciclin the most common.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

I concur. But as I have said before for asymptomatic cases they just need to spell it out in detail and give options so tourists know what happens and what is the worst case. 

Was in a similar situation in reverse went to my doctor because I had phlegm on my chest approx 12 days before my flight to Thailand of course tested positive sh*t  anyway was given amoxicillin to help clear phlegm which may be why others are using it of course with Thai pass .hotel booking for test and go .flights rising in prices etc etc I decided to chance my luck and take pcr test 1 day before due to fly (spit in tube) and result came back negative.

Flew to Thailand late Sunday arriving Monday test at hotel result positive got blood test at my expense 1200 baht plus got my doctor to send mail stating I had tested positive but had done my quarantine whatever the reason last night got out with warning to stay away from bars which I will do.

Since I thought I was going to be quarantined again I read a lot about pcr test and meaning of E and N numbers my results showed 34.45 and 34.65 apparently when they multiply your dna until they can find Covid most countries stop at 35 if not showing by then your result is negative I think Thailand go to 40.

Anyway I wish anyone with the misfortune to test positive either arriving or trying to leave a speedy recovery and be as lucky as myself 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, micmichd said:

Antibiotics won't help against virus infections. 

today wife and daughter did ATK saliva test and both were negative but they still dry coughing and sore throat very confusing situation, maybe the ATK test kit from Makro not good as the ones from the drug store

58 minutes ago, internationalism said:

From the beginning of covid some antibiotics were used - azythromycin, doxyciclin the most common.

Yes that can of course happen. Also cortison were given. 

1 hour ago, internationalism said:

I think you explained that well enough with your initial explanation....   Once the viral infection sets in, so can a bacterial infection which requires treatment. 

27 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

today wife and daughter did ATK saliva test and both were negative but they still dry coughing and sore throat very confusing situation, maybe the ATK test kit from Makro not good as the ones from the drug store

Could be they have cleared the viral part of covid and are not shedding enough for the test to be positive, and now are dealing with the after affects that could become long covid.

Check another time. Perhaps they cheated and just made a quick test which shows positive on any sickbes as flu, soar throat etc. I got missdiagnosed 2 times in Sweden. When I went to hospital next day I didnt have covid. They can save alot of money by just making a quicktest and not a real PCR test 

1 hour ago, Mavideol said:

I had a sore throat for about a day and a half before finally testing positive on at-home tests. Then I was positive for two days before clearing it. (I'm 4x vaxxed, 2 Pfizer and 2 Moderna, for what it's worth).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, internationalism said:

when hospitals were full of medical tourists there were also immi officers coming every week to deal with patients visas. That at the biggest international hospitals.

No harm to ask, but small chance now.

As immi don't have some special procedure for dealing with positive's expiring stamps, you are going to pay at the airport. 

If hospital lets you go only after 3 days to quarantine, not sure you are allowed to go to immi office for extension for 1900b. The immi office at cheng wattana requires ATK on entry, you might get positive and turned back.

check, what travel insurance can do for you in case of your hospitel and even immi fees

i agree that dealing with immigration at the airport is likely the best bet (versus the hospital helping with an extension or going to immigration to deal with it).  but i'm not sure about this ATK testing on entry at CW ?  are you sure about that ?  the OP would likely be going to MTT as they are extending a visa exempt entry ?  a friend went to MTT early this month and didn't have to do a test for entry.  i was last at CW in august and october and no testing back then (and things were pretty bad on the virus front in august !!).

3 hours ago, Paradise Pete said:

I had a sore throat for about a day and a half before finally testing positive on at-home tests. Then I was positive for two days before clearing it. (I'm 4x vaxxed, 2 Pfizer and 2 Moderna, for what it's worth).

they are vxd with 2 Pfizer 1 Moderna, they are coughing less but still a little sore throat as well, I have 1 Jansen 1 Moderna and 1 Pfizer and I am doing ok thus the confusion

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:
5 hours ago, Mavideol said:

Could be they have cleared the viral part of covid and are not shedding enough for the test to be positive, and now are dealing with the after affects that could become long covid.

Wife and Son, had a 24 hr mild fever, sore throat, tested ATK negative in 6 days but had a tickly phlegmy cough for a week or two after...    

It was just remnant ‘muck’ from the illness which cleared. 

The ATK kits themselves are incredibly simple and for the most part the ‘strip itself’ is exactly the same with slightly different plastic and packaging.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Wife and Son, had a 24 hr mild fever, sore throat, tested ATK negative in 6 days but had a tickly phlegmy cough for a week or two after...    

It was just remnant ‘muck’ from the illness which cleared. 

The ATK kits themselves are incredibly simple and for the most part the ‘strip itself’ is exactly the same with slightly different plastic and packaging.

mine didn't had any fever, just the coughing, sneezing, sore throat, no body ache, they tested positive with the ATK the 2nd red mark was barely visible but was there and the next day tested negative, only 1 red line

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Hanaguma said:

First night in quarantine, staff are nice enough, checked in at about 800pm. Brief consult with the nurse on duty, usual health questions. She said that we will be tested again on Day 3 and if negative, can leave. If not, another test on Day 5... and so on.   Deliveries here are OK but must be left at the lobby for pick up, final pick up 600pm. But since we arrived later, we were able to get a pizza delivered later than that. Like I said, no complaints about the staff. 

Hanaguma - thanks for the update. 

It seems that this is being handled with an intelligent degree of discretion with the day 3 test. 

Hope it's negative.

Have you had the discussion with the wife yet, if one is negative and the other isn’t?, at least one could get supplies for the other !!

Foodwise... in all ASQ I have done, I found the food not to be poor, but far below a standard expected of hotel room service....   obviously the ‘customer’ is captive, it seems the hotels use this as an opportunity not to have to provide food of a higher standard. 

IF possible, you could ask a member of staff you get you a local SimCard so you can have Line and Grab to set up local deliveries etc...  I’m a coffee drinker and would go to all the trouble just to get that so I could order. 

It will be interesting to see what happens with your insurance coverage.

Best of luck tolerating the remainder of isolation, hope its quick. 

2 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

mine didn't had any fever, just the coughing, sneezing, sore throat, no body ache, they tested positive with the ATK the 2nd red mark was barely visible but was there and the next day tested negative, only 1 red line

Some people get it mildly while others like myself and the GF were hit with a longer hanging on illness that as I said earlier we are still positive today albeit the line at the T is very faint but maybe by tomorrow night if we test again then instead of Friday morning we will be negative.  Still have no taste or sense of smell for me, GF still has the cough and phlegm but then its better then it was 5 days ago.  No rhyme or reason why it affects people so differently that's why those that make a mockery of it and say it is nothing but a cold are so wrong....

• Like 2

i am vaccinated or was in Thailand now in UK leading a normal life no masks everything open, no one even talks about it  taxes cost of  living, immigration  for sure! covid no

The first lap was serious, yes i agree  this final lap not so much so

1 minute ago, poohy said:

No i am not i am vaccinated or was in Thailand now in UK leading a normal life no masks everything open, no one even talks about it  taxes cost of  living, immigration  for sure! covid no

Hopefully you do not come down with it like I and my GF have 10 days ago and are still fighting the issues associated with it, and yes we are vaccinated and have been boosted.  It may be mild for some but not for others and those ending up in the hospitals and on ventilators or even dying is still increasing.  Your in complete denial if you think its nothing more than the common cold.  Good luck.

1 hour ago, poohy said:

i am vaccinated or was in Thailand now in UK leading a normal life no masks everything open, no one even talks about it  taxes cost of  living, immigration  for sure! covid no

Thailand is usually around 2 months behind the UK, for better or worse. Hopefully it won't be long before we're in a similar position, although unlike the Brits, I have a horrible feeling that Thais quite like wearing masks! 

1 minute ago, thierryviteau said:

You must be very very smart to have told the staff...

recovery certificate allows him to come back home in 14 days.

without that he risks getting positives for many weeks and even after turning negative getting positive on arrival home and another 14 days quarantine