Pavement problems in Bangkok are more than just disrepair

snoop1130

1 minute ago, alex8912 said:

Case in point.  You are only singling out Americans.  The vast majority of English speakers want to speak the English that is most common and up to date. That's it.  Don't be insulted.  All languages change.  No one is asking you to speak like a gangster Rap singer. But the world and languages and life are all updated so is the internet. 

This is a point I have made before on this forum, when certain English get upset about language. The fact is that no country, people, or place owns a language. All languages are mutable and their variations and evolution contain their own logic. I find it funny that the same people who frequently deride Indian speakers of English and their presence in Thai schools are now quickly adding Indian English speakers to their tally in an attempt to bolster their ownership of English.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, alex8912 said:

People in all those countries know and speak American slang dude!  It's a fact. Especially in Australia, India , Malaysia and the Caribbean. I've even heard the word sidewalk in British movies.  

It's known as dumbing down, which is probably also incorrect English. 

4 minutes ago, orchidfan said:

How about "footpath" ?

That's what they were called where I grew up !

It's better but makes me think the path is dirt or sand. But then again in Pattaya it sometimes is!! 

Edited by alex8912

Just now, orchidfan said:
4 hours ago, alex8912 said:

Thai PBS World should learn that most Vernacular English speakers do NOT know what they are referring to as "pavements". Not to upset some older British posters but everyone knows what a " sidewalk " is. Pavements do not equal sidewalks with the majority of English speakers.  

How about "footpath" ?

That's what they were called where I grew up !

Who cares.... Pavement, sidewalk, footpath.... we all know exactly what is meant apart from the most pathetic of obtuse posters. 

Why is there always this incessantly pathetic debate on the terms used when its perfectly clear what is meant... threads are always side-tracked with this off-topic moronic stuff, whether its outside or inside lane, whether its zebra crossing, crosswalk, pedestrian crossing etc etc....

Are people that stupid that they can’t simply accept that the exact same ‘thing’ that we know under one term is called another by other from different areas or cultures ?????

Geezzz... the minds of some people. 

1 minute ago, Liverpool Lou said:

What have my speech and "people in Manchester and London" got to do with me and British English?    You think I'm from the UK?

Ok my bad.  You have a pool full of livers in your backyard.  Sorry do you understand " my bad?". 

5 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Who cares.... Pavement, sidewalk, footpath.... we all know exactly what is meant apart from the most pathetic of obtuse posters. 

Why is there always this incessantly pathetic debate on the terms used when its perfectly clear what is meant... threads are always side-tracked with this off-topic moronic stuff, whether its outside or inside lane, whether its zebra crossing, crosswalk, pedestrian crossing etc etc....

Are people that stupid that they can’t simply accept that the exact same ‘thing’ that we know under one term is called another by other from different areas or cultures ?????

Then you say what is a pavement to some ? Then most say the cement on the road, then some say no that's "tarmac" then most say no tarmac is the stuff on the ground at the airport. OMG.  This is just a little fun and it is on topic. But sidewalk is just understood by the majority of vernacular English speakers. That's all.  P.S. even "pathetic" is quite rude. Why does this bother you so much? 

Edited by alex8912

20 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

And when it isn’t... there is a little ramp to aid motorcyclists access to the pavement !!!... 

Issues like this are not resolved - its impossible to push a pushchair or wheelchair down many pavements / sidewalks, access is simply impossible. Its even impossible to walk down some of them without having to step into the road... and in some cases its impossible to walk down some of them without stepping out in to the road, outside food vendors and carts....  

It's just part of Thailand....   I hate the manner in which pedestrians are completely disregarded here....  I hate the manner in which the disabled are not regarded as pedestrians, they are not regarded at all when looking at much of the accessibility around the city. 

The Thai  municipal  designers were influenced  by American civic design which  ignores pedestrians in favour of cars. Most of Pratumnak  has no pavement/sidewalk. In the UK footpaths and rights of way go back to post Roman occupation  common law. The erasure  of pedestrians and indeed decent public transport is a an American  blight which hopefully the Thais have not emulated entirely.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, alex8912 said:

Why does this bother you so much? 

Because I’ve seen so many threads taken completely off topic by neurotic posters who don’t realise how pathetic they are being.... I’m just calling you out, thats all. 

Its obvious what is meant in the article without the moronic discussion and debate which is utterly irrelevant to the point of the article / topic which is that in many areas of Thailand anywhere on the side of the road where pedestrians may want to walk is a problem, is dangerous and is commonly un-navigable and in disrepair. 

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

The Thai  municipal  designers were influenced  by American civic design which  ignores pedestrians in favour of cars. Most of Pratumnak  has no pavement/sidewalk. In the UK footpaths and rights of way go back to post Roman occupation  common law. The erasure  of pedestrians and indeed decent public transport is a an American  blight which hopefully the Thais have not emulated entirely.

That brings up an interesting question: what is the ratio for sidewalks/roads and highways in US cities and suburbs? Wonder how that compares elsewhere in the world.

6 minutes ago, John Drake said:

That brings up an interesting question: what is the ratio for sidewalks/roads and highways in US cities and suburbs? Wonder how that compares elsewhere in the world.

Valid point...  there is the additional facet that many of the area’s which would otherwise be received for pedestrians in many inner town and city areas have been encroached upon by vendors, people parking, or someone else encroaching on what would otherwise be a footpath for pedestrian use.

This all go’s ahead without any restriction or push-back from the city (in BKK) because those in positions of decision making power don’t care, so why would the police?

Screenshot 2022-03-23 at 13.58.46.png

Screenshot 2022-03-23 at 13.59.19.png

Screenshot 2022-03-23 at 13.59.36.png

Screenshot 2022-03-23 at 14.00.22.png

18 minutes ago, John Drake said:

LA is notorious for the eradication of pedestrians and pedestrian rights sadly Thais jump on a motorbike  even for a short walk.

44 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I prefer obtuse to pathetic, moronic and stupid and feel that it is more accurate.

Furthermore I did not realise that this conversation constituted part of an incessant debate. Obviously I could profitably spend more time on here, especially since the Apostrophe Society seems to be defunct.

To get back on topic a footpath is not a pavement or even a sidewalk. 

13 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

This all go’s ahead without any restriction or push-back from the city (in BKK) because those in positions of decision making power don’t care, so why would the police?

Crossing a sidewalk in Thailand is often more dangerous than crossing a road. Almost every near miss I have had has come on a sidewalk. Twice at the same place, I've come down a sapanloy and turned to my right on the sidewalk and come within inches of being mowed over by a scooter. The other time was when I walked near a corner on a sidewalk and was again almost blindsided by a scooter going high speed. Just goes to show you've got to be alert to survive here. Just like the lady physician killed in the crosswalk by the speed demon motocycle because she let down her guard for the last step or two.

49 minutes ago, John Drake said:

Check out Boston and it's suburbs like Cambridge and Somerville. They are getting fully dedicated to bikers and so many roads are getting completely ripped up for one or two year projects. Many parking spaces are getting taken away etc too. It can be considered good in some areas but we have a six month Winter!  Before I left last week we had four big snow storms ( up to 60cm of snow) and a few small ones. No one can ride their bikes!   I think in cold weather cities it's less important. What bothers me more is that entire lanes on main streets and bridges are being converted. Then during cold season their seems to be very limited bikes ever using them. Of course I see CONSTANTLY bikes still using the road and not the dedicated lanes.  It's frustrating sometimes. I ride a bike in good weather but even after all this construction more and more people work at home and don't even use a bike to go to work anymore. 

1 hour ago, alex8912 said:

Dear Liverpool, people in Manchester and London can't even understand you! ????

The liverpool accent is the worst I have ever heard, the mens high pitched voices?? I have to say though that I do like the cockney accent.

• Like 1

So Robblok wants us to all speak a language which is not even official in The USA.... They have no 'official' language!  I wonder if any country outside of USA actually teaches American English.....

There are about 60 English speaking countries, of which 20 have English as the primary language. USA just one.

15 minutes ago, alex8912 said:

Check out Boston and it's suburbs like Cambridge and Somerville. They are getting fully dedicated to bikers and so many roads are getting completely ripped up for one or two year projects. Many parking spaces are getting taken away etc too. It can be considered good in some areas but we have a six month Winter!  Before I left last week we had four big snow storms ( up to 60cm of snow) and a few small ones. No one can ride their bikes!   I think in cold weather cities it's less important. What bothers me more is that entire lanes on main streets and bridges are being converted. Then during cold season their seems to be very limited bikes ever using them. Of course I see CONSTANTLY bikes still using the road and not the dedicated lanes.  It's frustrating sometimes. I ride a bike in good weather but even after all this construction more and more people work at home and don't even use a bike to go to work anymore. 

One of the things Bangkok has out my way is a wide scooterpath. (I never see bicycles on them.) But they are inside and below the sidewalks, which run between the road and the scooterpath. No vendors put anything on them. They are kept spotless. 

3 hours ago, robblok said:

Id say banish the UK English and go full US English, its spoken by more people and makes a lot more sense to cater to those people instead of a minority.

English is the language of English people.  People in America used to speak English until they became independent and went downhill on everything - even managing to get a President ever more obnoxious than Boris the Great of England  (who was born in the US!)

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Pmbkk said:

The reason my parents never come to visit - they'd be prisoners in the Condo block.

My Dad has a mobility scooter - taxis don't suffice other going from A- B, to see the city no window shopping.

You planned well then ... Some folks would consider not seeing their parents a great blessing haha ????

18 minutes ago, rickudon said:

So Robblok wants us to all speak a language which is not even official in The USA.... They have no 'official' language!  I wonder if any country outside of USA actually teaches American English.....

There are about 60 English speaking countries, of which 20 have English as the primary language. USA just one.

Read it and weep.  https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/jul/13/american-english-language-study

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, NeoDinosaw said:

English is the language of English people.  People in America used to speak English until they became independent and went downhill on everything - even managing to get a President ever more obnoxious than Boris the Great of England  (who was born in the US!)

Dinosaur is soooo appropriate!

Just now, alex8912 said:

Thai PBS World should learn that most Vernacular English speakers do NOT know what they are referring to as "pavements". Not to upset some older British posters but everyone knows what a " sidewalk " is. Pavements do not equal sidewalks with the majority of English speakers.  

I was goingr to reply, but then I realised that you would not follow logic.

6 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

"Pavements do not equal sidewalks with the majority of English speakers".  Yes, they do but the article also used the word "footpaths" so there's plenty of explanation for the minority who don't want to understand basic English.

Bad news...  The majority of English speakers don't live in the UK.  For us, pavement is something that is paved.  That includes roads and parking lots.  Sidewalk or footpath is much more specific.

• Like 2